Author Topic: Brompton Brake Quality  (Read 18821 times)

Brompton Brake Quality
« on: 15 October, 2009, 02:44:56 pm »
A female acquaintance owns a Brompton, but tends not to ride it, as she's mistrustful of the brakes.

She states she took it for a test ride before buying it, and found the brakes pretty ineffective.  The previous owner stated that the brakes had been serviced properly, ie they weren't faulty.  She bought the bike.

This person doesn't appear particularly mechanically-minded, so it's hard to assess, and I'm not in a position to view the bike.

Are the standard brakes fitted to Bromptons OK and, if not really, are there suitable upgrades?  Are the standard ones single or dual pivot?  How would you improve the braking?  Perhaps the cables get damaged by an injudicious fold.  Not being a folder afficionado, I don't even know whether the small wheels help or hinder braking effect.

Tim

Re: Brompton Brake Quality
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2009, 02:49:44 pm »
Brompton brakes are poor.

I can't believe that a number of owners here haven't felt the need to upgrade them.

My response to test riding a Brompton was to put it back in the showroom and buy a Dahon instead.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2009, 02:54:08 pm »
I bought my Brompton about 5 years ago. The brakes have always been good, they stop our combined mass of over 100kg without problems.

The only time that they weren't good was when I tried replacing the blocks with some Kool stops (I think). The dis-improvement was very noticeable, bought a new set of Brompton blocks and happy stopping resumed.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2009, 02:55:29 pm »
No easy upgrades.  EDIT: except to newer model Brompton brakes.

Dual pivots are standard now, previously single pivots.

The performance has progressively improved over the years from woeful to reasonable.  The latest brakes have brass bushes and Fibrax pads.  I have a strong handshake and have never had problems stopping, even with the legendarily-weak Saccon single pivots.  YMMV.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »
Mr 'Zilla (of this very parish) is the acknowledged Guru of Bromptonology.

I believe he is also a follower of the 'Alhonga Big Dog' doctrine which states that wherever two or three are gathered together then they shall 'Slag the Stopping Power in a Royal Fashion' before communing with the *bay in search of their 'Dual Pivoted Saviour'

I'm not taking this seriously, am I?  ;D

J

Is there another bicycle out there that costs as much and rides as badly as a Brompton?
I suspect I might be in a position, very shortly, to find out!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:01:02 pm »
Thanks for all the responses - and so quick! :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:49:42 pm »
So, let's say she's acquired an older Brompton with single-pivot brakes; would it be straightforward to upgrade to the latest, dual-pivot, most effective (OK, least ineffective!) brake design, or are there design and model detail issues which might prevent such remedial action?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2009, 04:11:47 pm »
AFAIK it's a straight swap.  Where's Rog?

The dual pivots, as supplied on Hannibal, are good.  They're actually good in the dry, and in the wet, not bad -- all small-wheel bikes suffer a bit more than big-wheels in the wet as the whole wheel is immersed in spray.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2009, 04:22:08 pm »
SJS sell the dual pivot Brompton branded calipers for £23 each + p&p

HTH

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2009, 04:26:11 pm »
I'm with LWaB - mine still has the original crappy single pivots, though not the original levers, because  I've just never had cause to change them - I can stop on the proverbial sixpence as it is.  I have changed the blocks over the years, of course, which may be a factor. 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2009, 04:50:17 pm »
AFAIK it's a straight swap. 

Absolutely for brakes.  Most components on the current Brompton can be retrofitted to earlier models.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 15 October, 2009, 05:24:50 pm »
The dual-pivots are very good.  Models from 2002 and thereabouts have a dual-pivot front and a single-pivot rear (optimistically called "high leverage") - these work just as well.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 17 December, 2010, 01:35:50 pm »
This is the brake that really makes my Brommie stop!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/plooifiets/3671516172/

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 17 December, 2010, 01:45:16 pm »
I'd only bother with a hub or disc brake if often riding a lot in heavy rain.  Otherwise the dual-pivot calipers on my Brommy are more than good enough.  In fact they work better than my road bike's, which surprised me given the size of the wheels.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #14 on: 19 December, 2010, 01:37:25 am »
I've never really given it any thought.  The brakes on my nearly new one are fab, but the ones on my last Mk 3 were perfectly adequate. 

Mind you I never actually go that fast on it..

« Reply #15 on: 19 December, 2010, 09:06:07 am »
Before  you buy, strip down the dual pivot  brakes and  make  sure all pivots are  free, and lubricate.

I  serviced a friends bromptom (before borrowing  it), and  the  front  pivot was completely  siezed

border-rider

« Reply #16 on: 19 December, 2010, 09:52:09 am »
I've never really given it any thought.  The brakes on my nearly new one are fab, but the ones on my last Mk 3 were perfectly adequate. 

Mind you I never actually go that fast on it..

The OEM brakes on the Mk1s were pretty awful. 

Nightfly

« Reply #17 on: 28 December, 2010, 09:17:48 pm »
Before  you buy, strip down the dual pivot  brakes and  make  sure all pivots are  free, and lubricate.

I  serviced a friends bromptom (before borrowing  it), and  the  front  pivot was completely  siezed

Yep Brompton brakes can be pretty alarmingly in their lack of stopping power. However strip them down lubricating the inner cables with grease or whatever plus as you say the pivot points of the single calipers and as sure as the answer to a folding bike is Brompton, they will then stop you on a 5p piece if you so wished. I think the problem is because Brompton assemble them dry and there is so much friction resisting smooth easy movement of the the inner brake cable and calipers.

« Reply #18 on: 01 January, 2011, 11:08:33 am »
Before I got the drumbrake I used these.http://www.flickr.com/photos/plooifiets/2693243101/
 IMO they did a good breakjob. Now I only use them on the rear wheel.

« Reply #19 on: 22 January, 2011, 06:14:00 pm »
Before I got the drumbrake I used these.http://www.flickr.com/photos/plooifiets/2693243101/
 IMO they did a good breakjob. Now I only use them on the rear wheel.

Does that mean you have a front hub brake in a Brompton?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #20 on: 22 January, 2011, 10:29:10 pm »
Yes, it's a hub brake and it's in the front wheel.

Nightfly

« Reply #21 on: 22 January, 2011, 11:06:15 pm »
Yes, it's a hub brake and it's in the front wheel.

There aren't any on Bromptons made recently, certainly not after 2004, so front hub brakes must be on vintage models.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 23 January, 2011, 02:38:00 am »
Not a factory option, Greenspeed significantly modify drum brake hubs to fit into a Brompton's narrow fork.

« Reply #23 on: 23 January, 2011, 06:20:00 am »
Not a factory option, Greenspeed significantly modify drum brake hubs to fit into a Brompton's narrow fork.

Any details of the mod? The Greenspeed Trike hubbrakes look like they are Sturmey Archers wich are significantly bigger OLD than standard Brommy front hub.
cheers
Never knowingly under caffeinated