Author Topic: Brompton Brake Quality  (Read 18822 times)

Re: Brompton Brake Quality
« Reply #25 on: 23 January, 2011, 07:22:50 pm »
Details?  You might take a look at Hub Brake Wheel
and
Hub brake for Brompton | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thank you, particulary for the Flickr pics
I've just had a look at a SA drum brake. If you cut the hub, take a section out, and rejoin it, I think it would work
Never knowingly under caffeinated

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 23 January, 2011, 07:29:34 pm »
No, the hub is cut in half and the missing flange is replaced by spoke holes drilled in the side of the brake drum. The missing bearing is replaced with a sealed bearing in the remnant of the hub barrel. Welcome to Flickr! shows the other side of plooifiets' wheel.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #27 on: 23 January, 2011, 07:38:33 pm »
No, the hub is cut in half and the missing flange is replaced by spoke holes drilled in the side of the brake drum. The missing bearing is replaced with a sealed bearing in the remnant of the hub barrel. Welcome to Flickr! shows the other side of plooifiets' wheel.

So, the ends of the spokes are only the depth of the brake drum apart?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: 23 January, 2011, 07:49:33 pm »
Correct

« Reply #29 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:10:12 pm »
Correct

Well, that explains why it costs £195 for the wheel!  :D
Steve Parry charges about £100 for the brazings to fit V brakes front and rear.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:15:53 pm »
And you still have the rim wear that a hub brake avoids. I don't feel a need for V-brakes. My Brompton copes easily towing a fully-laden shopping trailer.

« Reply #31 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:21:48 pm »
And you still have the rim wear that a hub brake avoids. I don't feel a need for V-brakes. My Brompton copes easily towing a fully-laden shopping trailer.

If you want to tour on it, which I know it wasn't designed for, I think it needs better brakes. Mine is fine around town

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #32 on: 23 January, 2011, 08:30:30 pm »
I know several people who tour on Brommies, using variously discs, Maguras, V-brakes and dual pivots. None of them seem to be wanting anything better. Make of that what you will.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #33 on: 03 January, 2012, 01:10:17 pm »
I was surprised by how much my rear dual caliper had siezed recently. The first symptom was play in the lever - because the caliper was not opening fully after release.

Most of the brake is fine, but some of the faces/washers seem to have rusted. I've managed to get it back to operating by lubricating, but I'm going to strip it down and replace washers to see if that helps in the longer run.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #34 on: 03 January, 2012, 01:24:12 pm »
A re-adjustment alone might free it up, though a full strip-down and relube is a good idea anyway - as long as you're good with springs.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #35 on: 03 January, 2012, 02:41:03 pm »
I was surprised by how much my rear dual caliper had siezed recently. The first symptom was play in the lever - because the caliper was not opening fully after release.

Most of the brake is fine, but some of the faces/washers seem to have rusted. I've managed to get it back to operating by lubricating, but I'm going to strip it down and replace washers to see if that helps in the longer run.

This is a problem that I get a lot. I don't have a back mudguard, just plasticard under the rack, and the tyre flicks the road crap onto the brake. I've become more proficient than I'd like to be at brake removal, clean, grease and re-assembly. I worry a little about the greasig because the bushes in the brake assembly are nylon like and I'm not sure if they take well to grease over time.
I'm thinking of sewing a gaiter of nylon and velcro to give the brake more protection. Failing that, bronze bushes turned up by a local model engineer may last longer between services.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 03 January, 2012, 04:11:25 pm »
The most recent Brompton brakes replaced the Nylon bushes with brass in any case.

« Reply #37 on: 03 January, 2012, 04:31:51 pm »
The most recent Brompton brakes replaced the Nylon bushes with brass in any case.

Ah, that's interesting. Thank you.

Paul

« Reply #38 on: 04 January, 2012, 12:26:38 pm »
... as long as you're good with springs.

I suspect those words should be in bold.

This is a problem that I get a lot. I don't have a back mudguard, just plasticard under the rack, and the tyre flicks the road crap onto the brake. I've become more proficient than I'd like to be at brake removal, clean, grease and re-assembly. I worry a little about the greasig because the bushes in the brake assembly are nylon like and I'm not sure if they take well to grease over time.
I'm thinking of sewing a gaiter of nylon and velcro to give the brake more protection. Failing that, bronze bushes turned up by a local model engineer may last longer between services.

I've got this despite a rear 'guard.

I don't know what flavour my bushes are, but I was sure I saw rust washing out with the oil.

This gaiter - would you wrap it around the actual caliper?

« Reply #39 on: 04 January, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »
... as long as you're good with springs.

I suspect those words should be in bold.

I've got this despite a rear 'guard.

I don't know what flavour my bushes are, but I was sure I saw rust washing out with the oil.

This gaiter - would you wrap it around the actual caliper?

My plan is to wrap it around the caliper. I don't know how practical the idea is but exposed mechanical joints were often protected by canvas gaiters on old (pre mid 60's?) cars. I'm hoping to get onto it next week.

Paul

« Reply #40 on: 05 January, 2012, 12:57:56 pm »
My plan is to wrap it around the caliper. I don't know how practical the idea is but exposed mechanical joints were often protected by canvas gaiters on old (pre mid 60's?) cars. I'm hoping to get onto it next week.

I'd be interested in the results. I'm a bit sceptical, because I think that it might just end up holding water in, but I can't really visualise the thing.

« Reply #41 on: 10 January, 2012, 04:09:01 pm »

I'd be interested in the results. I'm a bit sceptical, because I think that it might just end up holding water in, but I can't really visualise the thing.

You were right to be sceptical; I couldn't cut the material to allow for the amount of movement in the caliper.
I have, however, had a piece of shaped aluminium (like a couple of inches of mudguard, but thinner and hardly affecting the tyre clearance) under the rear brake for awhile and that has kept the centre pivot bolt free of seizure. The brassy sliding sleeve on the spring and the other pivot gradually seize, despite waterproof grease, with the grot flicked onto them by the rear tyre. Because my gaiter was a failure I have slipped offcuts of inner tube over them and will see if that works during the weather to come.
Failing that, and assuming my Alfine 11 is satisfactory, I will look at a V brake for the rear. Otherwise it is back to the Dahon which is a better ride imo but poorer fold.

Paul

« Reply #42 on: 11 January, 2012, 12:52:03 pm »
You were right to be sceptical; I couldn't cut the material to allow for the amount of movement in the caliper.
I have, however, had a piece of shaped aluminium (like a couple of inches of mudguard, but thinner and hardly affecting the tyre clearance) under the rear brake for awhile and that has kept the centre pivot bolt free of seizure. The brassy sliding sleeve on the spring and the other pivot gradually seize, despite waterproof grease, with the grot flicked onto them by the rear tyre. Because my gaiter was a failure I have slipped offcuts of inner tube over them and will see if that works during the weather to come.
Failing that, and assuming my Alfine 11 is satisfactory, I will look at a V brake for the rear. Otherwise it is back to the Dahon which is a better ride imo but poorer fold.
Bad luck with the gaiter.
Nice to read of inner tubes being used :thumbsup:
V brakes? Would you have to have some braze-ons, um, brazed on?

« Reply #43 on: 11 January, 2012, 02:48:18 pm »

Bad luck with the gaiter.
Nice to read of inner tubes being used :thumbsup:
V brakes? Would you have to have some braze-ons, um, brazed on?

Yes, brazed on braze ons  :) Steve Parry does them for £50.
I could try Ray Knight here where I live but I'm not sure that he still has his brazing gear. I would guess that it is a long while since he made a frame but it'd be a lot cheaper than SP

« Reply #44 on: 15 August, 2012, 07:35:57 pm »
Is possible to change the rear brake spring. I hate the "lazy" going back to the un-braking position!
Italian commuter in London with my
new (second hand) red M6l Brompton

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #45 on: 15 August, 2012, 07:45:29 pm »
Have you first dismantled and regreased the rear caliper, then replaced the brake cable inner and outer? One of those is most likely the problem.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #46 on: 15 August, 2012, 07:47:02 pm »
(x-posted with LWaB)

You might be able to bend the spring to make it more "springy", but it shouldn't be necessary.  Mine ain't lazy.

Check your cable and pivots for excessive friction.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●