Author Topic: Folders with 20" wheels  (Read 2436 times)

Folders with 20" wheels
« on: 26 October, 2009, 09:32:07 pm »
I've been wondering if there is a folder lighter than a 6 speed Brommy but with 20" wheels.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Folders with 20" wheels
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2009, 10:56:42 pm »
Dahon 20" folders are rumoured to be pretty light . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:08:38 pm »
Yes indeed....lightest Dahon bike at the mo is the Mu SL: 9 speeds, 8.3 kg without pedals. Folding Bicycles and Folding Bicycle Accessories by Dahon: Mµ SL My ('04) Jetstream XP was 9.0 stock- even with the SRAM DualDrive hub gear I added, plus mudguards etc, still dead on 11 kg.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:18:06 pm »
20" doesn't give the smallest fold.

Any reason why it's got to be that size?

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:44:19 pm »
How does an Airnimal compare to a Brompton weightwise?

(I can't be arsed to get out of bed  :-[)

« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2009, 08:02:58 am »
20" doesn't give the smallest fold.

Any reason why it's got to be that size?

I need a folder but I'd prefer something lighter to carry than the Brommy so long as I can still fold, and bag, the bike for buses and trains. I could start weight reducing the B with titanium parts. but I'd like a wider and less complex gear spread than the double shift M6 set up. That set me thinking about a derailleur set up and I started looking at the Dahons which, in turn, made me think about 20" tyres. I have Big Apples on my Trice and they are very comfortable to ride on and they roll well.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #6 on: 27 October, 2009, 09:53:27 pm »
Try looking at the Mezzo.  Designed as a derailleur equipped Brompton targeter they ride really well and fold good. Don't know the weight as I passed mine on but it was pretty good I remember.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Si

« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2009, 10:05:21 am »
How does an Airnimal compare to a Brompton weightwise?

(I can't be arsed to get out of bed  :-[)

Depends what kit you put on it...mine got down to around 20 pounds as a single speed, with 27spd and guards and rack, etc it was around 26pounds IIRC. 

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2009, 12:00:24 pm »
I reckon the hub geared rear wheel on my Dahon D7HG is responsible for 30% of the weight.

I may see what it's like as a single-speed at some point.

« Reply #9 on: 28 October, 2009, 12:07:41 pm »
You want light, but you are going to put Big Apples on it?

Big Apple in 406 - 530gm

Marathon Racer in 406 - 290gm

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 28 October, 2009, 02:43:03 pm »
You want light, but you are going to put Big Apples on it?

Big Apple in 406 - 530gm

Marathon Racer in 406 - 290gm

Thanks for that. I never actually said that I'd put BA's on, and I don't carry my Trice, but when I say light a kilo or more shaved off the Brompton weight would be good at my age. If, however, I get to having to shift about a few grams I might be better going for titanium on the B and accepting the gearing disadvantages and, of course, the B folds beautifully.

« Reply #11 on: 28 October, 2009, 03:05:46 pm »
A (departed) friend had a Ti Brommy.
It was fantastically light, if I had the funds and was after  folding bike, I'd be looking at one of these.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 28 October, 2009, 03:52:56 pm »
A (departed) friend had a Ti Brommy.
It was fantastically light, if I had the funds and was after  folding bike, I'd be looking at one of these.

Yes, they are very nice. My mate has one with a 12 speed SP conversion. It is tempting and live with the gear system.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #13 on: 28 October, 2009, 09:23:09 pm »
Whilst I like the idea of a lighter Brompton, I have to take a reality check.  Mine rides around with a front bag stuffed full of work stuff and my lunch, a litre of water, and a whopping great armoured cable lock for the potential occasion where I can't have it sitting beside me; and a saddlebag that has the Brompton cover, a battery headlamp (for deployment when it gets dark), a can of tyre sealant for emergency puncture repairs, a multitool, and emergency fuel supplies for the engine.  Saving a few grams on the bike isn't going to make a big difference - fortunately I never need to carry it very far.