Author Topic: Bromptons at Night - Self-Levelling Headlights?  (Read 1713 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Bromptons at Night - Self-Levelling Headlights?
« on: 26 October, 2009, 09:46:38 pm »
At last I've fitted a light bright enough that I can see where it's pointing.  (B&M IQ Cyo).

As I pedal, the suspension bounces up and down, causing the light to waver from the "melt-the-tarmac" low to "worry the aircraft" high (*).  Can anyone suggest a way to make the light point in a consistent direction?

(*) I have been known to exaggerate a bit.  But a bright light that can illuminate stuff at 100 yds will produce a beam that bounces up and down a fair few feet with only a small change in angle.

Should I just point it at the ground, so that it varies between "illuminate the road at 20 yds" to "illuminate the road at 50 yds"?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Bromptons at Night - Self-Levelling Headlights?
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2009, 10:02:41 pm »
You've mounted it on the brake bolt?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2009, 03:35:47 pm »
Stiffer suspension rubber (there's a new option)? Or stiffen the existing one with a jubilee clip round it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2009, 01:02:53 am »
Sounds like an excellent excuse for a Heath Robinson gyroscope arrangement...  ;)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2009, 10:54:19 pm »
You've mounted it on the brake bolt?
Yup.  With a bit of a home-made bracket.  I would take a photo, but it's dark and my camera is a bit poor.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2009, 11:07:36 pm »
My lights go on the handlebars. They stay pointing pretty much where I put them. A Dinotte or Light & Motion Stella is bright enough, I find - or something weaker but flashing (a Knog, or the old Cateye I have a bracket on the bars for) to be seen by in town.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2009, 11:16:10 pm »
That's where I was heading: lights on the bars are more stable, due to annoying properties of long vs short pendulum arms and the like. 

A bit of a faff with dynamo lamps, what with sussing the fold. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 30 October, 2009, 08:18:18 pm »
Short of fitting a HID headlamp from a car with the mandatory auto self-levelling feature*, you'll just have to stiffen the suspension.  I don't notice any misalignment, but I have two jubilee clips on my suspension block, and they're screwed down really tight.

*which never works because the sodding things still dazzle.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.