Author Topic: What’s a Moulton TSR like?  (Read 14851 times)

What’s a Moulton TSR like?
« on: 28 March, 2011, 08:39:34 pm »
What’s a Moulton TSR like?

I’m considering getting rid of my recumbents, and buying a Moulton TSR.  I’d use it for training rides, audaxes (up to 600k) and some short (eg 2 day) tours with minimal luggage.  I like the idea of suspension – I’m sick of being rattled to pieces on rough roads, and I can see me using the separable option.  I don’t often cycle far from home, but popping the bike in a couple of bags and hopping on a coach for a weekend away is beginning to sound appealing.

I’m used to riding fixed wheel bikes, so simple is good to me.  I’ve just seen the TSR2 models, and they appeal, especially the belt drive version.  The blurb says they’re town bikes, but I’m not sure there’s any reason why I couldn’t take them on something a bit more adventurous (including AAA audaxes).  The belt drive has 51” and 70” gears.  The one with the chain can accept different sized sprockets, so I could maybe spec it with an 86” 'overdrive' gear (my normal fixie gearing) and have a 63” 'direct' gear for steep climbs.  However, I’ve read that you can’t really stand up to climb on a Moulton (due to suspension bob), so although I can get up almost anything on a standard 65” gear, perhaps the Moulton won’t allow me to grunt my way up anything too steep.

If the TSR2 is a bad idea, I could go for a standard fixie build, or a basic TSR9.

Anyway, I just thought I’d ask to see what people think of them, and whether I’m expecting too much of it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: What’s a Moulton TSR like?
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2011, 09:05:29 pm »
I rode a TSR30 for PBP07 and a 1965 Duomatic Stowaway for PBP03. I stiffened the Stowaway's front suspension and had no problems honking in either the 70" or 53" gear. The TSR front suspension is different to the Stowaway's and you'd need to replace the coil spring with a 'race' spring to significantly raise the spring rate. I am around 90kg (give or take a bit) and prefer thumping gears to twiddling, so YMMV.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2011, 10:24:32 pm »
 I was lucky enough to borrow a friend's father's Moulton when I was in my late teens. I found that the suspension used to bounce me up the hills. I don't know if I'd feel the same now but at the time I loved it. (I lived in the hilly city of Bath). 

« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2011, 04:26:47 pm »
The original F frame (1960/70s) Moultons used a different suspension design, but many are still in use.

You can arrange a test ride at the factory in Bradford on Avon, 01225 865895.

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2011, 04:37:03 pm »
I love mine (TSR 30), it's the most comfy bike I've ever ridden, bar none.  Unbelievably good on poor road surfaces and fantastic for long days. 

Mine takes front & rear bags too, so have been cycle camping on it.  I do have a huuuge front chainring and fixed rear wheel for it, but not fitted yet.  I bought it from Blah of this parish, might be worth pinging him to see what it was like as a fixed? 

It's not quick, I recon I'm at least 1mph slower on a long ride compared to a normal audax bike (possibly 2) and I agree that standing up is a bit too bouncy and for me it's quicker to sit & spin on it, but I'm > 100kgs.

If you're anywhere near cambridge you're very welcome to come and try it!

« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »
Thanks very much for all that. 

I’m up in Inverness, so difficult to get a test ride.  In fact, I seriously considered a Moulton a few years ago, and would probably have bought one if I could have arranged a test or loan machine.  In the end I went the recumbent route (to try and eliminate numb fingers on long rides) but I’m struggling to make a recumbent work for me. 

Mike, when you say it’s slow compared with an audax bike, what sort of bike are you comparing it to, and what do think it is that makes it slow?

After only riding a recumbent for a while now, I went out on an old steel racing bike tonight, and went faster than I’ve ever managed on the recumbent.  It even felt comfier!  If I thought a Moulton would give make long audaxes less daunting than anything else I’ve ridden I’d seriously consider selling all my bikes.  Perhaps the TSR 30 would be an ideal bike for that.

« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2011, 09:10:21 pm »
Having briefly ridden Mike´s tsr30, I my overwhelming recollection is the incredible acceleration and the magic carpet ride. I wish they were cheaper, as I´d love something like a TSR with tiagra and drop bars (in green with a honey B17 if anyone is buying).

« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2011, 09:34:17 pm »

Mike, when you say it’s slow compared with an audax bike, what sort of bike are you comparing it to, and what do think it is that makes it slow?

After only riding a recumbent for a while now, I went out on an old steel racing bike tonight, and went faster than I’ve ever managed on the recumbent.  It even felt comfier!  If I thought a Moulton would give make long audaxes less daunting than anything else I’ve ridden I’d seriously consider selling all my bikes.  Perhaps the TSR 30 would be an ideal bike for that.

i'm comparing to a Ti audax bike.  I think it's slow partly because it's heavy (the front suspension adds quite a lot of weight), a bit because of the bouncing and partly because the gearing is quite low, although I do normally work at a low cadence.  

I'm trying a DIY 200 at the weekend it'll be on the moulton as the Ti bike needs a new BB, will let you know how it goes!  The extra comfort (magic carpet is a great way of putting it) might mean the last 50k is quicker than on a normal bike..

if I was just looking for comfort for a not-too-hilly 600, a moulton would be an easy choice.

Mekon - you mean like this? ;D

(no, you cant have it!)

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2011, 09:15:07 am »
That’s extremely lovely!

All the best for the 200k at the weekend.  I’d really like to hear how you get on.

« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2011, 11:54:54 am »
I've only ridden the TSR2. IIRC it only has front brake: to stop the rear you'll have to pedal backwards. The gear change was awkward(although I could get used to it with time). At the moment I'm thinking of buying a Sabbath September just as comftable as the TSR and that was capable of 40+ mph easily. The only problem was the front wheel hitting my foot during bit turns of the handle.

Its interesting to see you transfering from recumbent to upright as I'm comptemplating the opposite direction. What recumbents do you own?

Mike can I have a go of your TSR 30, please? I've been interested in these but have been discouraged by ex owners who have stated the routine maintainance as a PITA. Maybe sometime late this month or early next: after I test ride some recumbents. I live in Cambridge.