Author Topic: Brompton rack removal?  (Read 16569 times)

Brompton rack removal?
« on: 11 October, 2011, 01:43:23 pm »
My 1st post here, hope I haven't missed this question elsewhere!
I have a new Brompton, M3R, raw lacquer finish, brooks saddle, the battery lights.
I didn't really want the rack, but the bike was in the shop & I was too impatient to wait for a bespoke to be built!. I'm very happy with the bike so far, great for my cycle/train/cycle commute. I did the Palace to Palace on it when it was a few days old to test it out, then rode home afterwards, 60 miles in total with no issues & the brooks was better than i feared...
I was wondering how difficult it is to remove the rack as I doubt if I will use it & prefer more of a saddle bag solution. I believe I will need a new mudguard & roller. I have some brackets in the brompton light kit which I guess I'll need.
Could anybody confirm what parts I will need & are there any hidden pitfalls to doing this?. I was then going to sell the rack & associated parts. Many thanks.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Brompton rack removal?
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2011, 02:00:14 pm »
Welcome aboard.

I did it the other way - i.e. ordered a B without a rack and then added a rack.

It was a while ago, but I think all I had to do was order the rack and then the correct mudguard kit - I remember it ended up being a pricey upgrade!

So, in your case it should be fairly straightforwards - remove rack and mudguard and replace with an L-type rear mudguard (this is the full kit front and rear from SJS - I am sure you can get just the rear one - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-mudguard-set-l-version-non-dynamo-qmgsetl-prod3021/ - certainly you could buy all the parts seperatly and see if that works out cheaper than the full set I just linked to).  I think even in the L-type rear mudguard, there are then two versions - dyno and non-dyno (which you want as a battery light user) - so be careful ordering.

Can't think of any pitfalls as long as you have the right bits - other than you lose the super useful rack!

I am sure someone round here might want the mudguard and rack kit - very useful upgrade.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2011, 02:03:55 pm »
I'd be interested in the rack if no longer required, and its the right price

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2011, 02:13:19 pm »
Welcome aboard.

I did it the other way - i.e. ordered a B without a rack and then added a rack.

It was a while ago, but I think all I had to do was order the rack and then the correct mudguard kit - I remember it ended up being a pricey upgrade!

So, in your case it should be fairly straightforwards - remove rack and mudguard and replace with an L-type rear mudguard (this is the full kit front and rear from SJS - I am sure you can get just the rear one - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-mudguard-set-l-version-non-dynamo-qmgsetl-prod3021/ - certainly you could buy all the parts seperatly and see if that works out cheaper than the full set I just linked to).  I think even in the L-type rear mudguard, there are then two versions - dyno and non-dyno (which you want as a battery light user) - so be careful ordering.

Can't think of any pitfalls as long as you have the right bits - other than you lose the super useful rack!

I am sure someone round here might want the mudguard and rack kit - very useful upgrade.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did look on that website, but didnt see that kit.
I will be keeping the rack & parts until I'm sure what I'm doing. When the time comes I'll stick it on the classifieds. This wasnt meant to be a stealthy advert by the way!

« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2011, 02:31:38 pm »
From memory (a while back) it's necessary to remove the rear wheel and brake to release the rack, then you will need to fit the alternative mudguard with a single coaster wheel on it. A bit of a faff just to remove a rack and return the bike to use. I found the rack so annoying that for me it was worth the hassle, and I've since removed the guards altogether, but that's a whole other story... http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=35526.0

[edit] I looked up my order history at SJS, and these are the parts I purchased to run the Brompton without a rack but with mudguards - guard blade, roller assembly, stay set and stay anchor plates! :o

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2011, 03:05:32 pm »
The rack is tremendously useful if fitted with Eazy Wheels and you like to push the folded bike along easily like a piece of luggage.

But take it off if you really don't want it.  You should practise removing and refitting the rear wheel anyway, in order to be able replace the tyre or inner tube yourself.  Find videos on YouTube.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2011, 03:20:50 pm »
I would think with the right type of rack bag, i.e. one tall and narrow, it is indeed useful for carrying stuff. But put anything wider than the rack itself on the back and you end up knocking it with your heels, or I did at least - most annoying!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2011, 03:24:27 pm »
I haven't even used my rack to carry stuff (prefer S Bag).  I got it purely to do this with:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aJlqf5W-lUk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/aJlqf5W-lUk&rel=1</a>
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2011, 03:38:14 pm »
Oh man... I thought he was going to do a stunt - flip the rear under whilst riding and cruise on the rack rollers before flipping the wheel back out again.

When folded, I pulled mine along with the bars extended.

« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2011, 01:29:00 am »
Disadvantages of heavy saddle bag for short journey's (ala carradice with sqr release):

- weight and positioning of saddle bag (raises the centre of gravity)/standing up when pedalling may unsettle(wobble) the ride.

- sqr barely fits on an extended seat post.

- without the velcro shown in the vid. Constantly folding down the seat post for stairs is a PITA.

- the weight of the saddle bag will try to un-fold the bag in the video's folded position the velcro may not be strong enough.

If your saddle bag is not heavy - great!

« Reply #10 on: 17 October, 2011, 12:20:04 pm »
Thanks all for the advice. I did mail Brompton before I posted this question & they sent me back an instruction on pdf. In hindsight I think I'll leave it as it is with the rack. Quite a bit of faffing about & will cost £50ish for the bits, no doubt would have been fully subsidised by the rack sale.
If I do decide to go that route I may ask the bikeshop to do it FOC at 1st service in a few weeks. The rack etc is spotless & they may swop it over with one of their stock bikes, they will then make out of it & everybody wins!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 03 November, 2011, 08:44:29 pm »
The only reason to strip one down like this

http://www.peeble.com/bwc2010_0001.wmv

It turned out to be a poor decision, given the weather  :sick:

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 04 November, 2011, 11:38:41 am »
Love it. Reminds of a Ferrari. Mine also reminds me of a Ferrari too a Scaglitteli in Grey.