Author Topic: Meet Chutney, a Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008)  (Read 26707 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Meet Chutney, a Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008)
« on: 06 August, 2008, 02:14:27 pm »

I have now ridden it in London, the Pyrenees and on a long hilly ride, and it is one of the best rides I have had.

After a little getting used to that everything happens so low to the ground, and the twitching handling, it just flyes. I have never ridden a folder before and it have been many years since I was on 20" tyres.

Cycling in London's traffic it is fast, responsive, comfy and light. It comes in at 10.4kg, but I do not feel it at all. Because of the 28" to 125" gear range, that just changes double fast, nothing different with the 3 hub gears that are like the 3 front rings. With it fancy handle bars and stem you can easy find a position that suit you.

It have a longer distance between the wheels, which makes the ride much more like a "normal" bike. Climbing up on the steepest part of the Tourmalet the front wheel never came off the ground, and I never had the twitch that you can have with a smaller wheel and going up hill at low speed.

Descending is fast and fun, I can't say that there is anything different compared to a "normal" bike. That is off course when you have gotten used to its handling, but that is the same with any bike.

The only things I had to change on it ...

Handlebars: I had to add some Bar Phat as the handle bars that is on it is too thin for my liking.

Brake pads: The ones that comes with it as a standard don't even bite, so I put some Koolstop and they have stopped me on the fast descents in the Pyrenees.

Seat post: Since I'm 6'4" with an inside leg of 35". The seat post that come with the bike is not long enough even though the web site states that it fits a 6'4" person. So I got a seat post from a Dahon Vitesse which also have the normal seat clamp and not the new seat railing thing, and that is just the right length.

And of course riding it in France you will get of plenty of people looking at you and asking you questions about it.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Meet Chutney, a Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008)
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2008, 02:31:59 pm »
Kewl! 8)

Imagine how much faster Tommy Simpson would have been on a Dahon ;)

great bike, and I'm impressed you've taken it up such hills without too much difficulty.  Testimony to ride & rider.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2008, 04:10:31 pm »
Yeah!

On a much less impressive climb (Wrynose Pass), meet, errr, my Helios P-8. riding the 25% downhill that followed was great!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2008, 08:34:01 pm »
Peli's bloody shiny these days, isn't she?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

border-rider

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2008, 09:21:28 am »
Wolly's road's steeper than yours, MV ;)
Getting there...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:29:18 pm »
MV : did you ride down the other side ? We did it was well fun and fast :)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:39:48 pm »
Yebbut it's not red!

*Jealous of Bow.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2008, 01:03:24 pm »
Why doesn't the hub suspension screw up the brakes? Dahon claim 12mm of travel.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 08 August, 2008, 03:05:42 pm »

Onna Brommie ?

You must be f'in joking ;)

I've offroaded it, but high-speed cornering isn't its strength.  I reckon I'd be hanging on the brakes so hard I'd blow the tyres off.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2008, 03:34:51 pm »
I donno, I was thinking the same but the model I have do not have this, so I can not see it to believe it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 08 August, 2008, 03:38:51 pm »
I won't say 'told you so' about the rim heat, but it took a pretty extreme hill on a very hot day to do it, so I am impressed...
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 09 August, 2008, 11:21:29 am »

Onna Brommie ?

You must be f'in joking ;)

I'm glad I didn't write that; I would have been accused of being partial! Me?!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 09 August, 2008, 11:36:06 am »
"Chutney Ferret" would be a better name, given that it's slinky and climbs fast  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

jimbo 58

« Reply #14 on: 15 August, 2008, 07:46:09 am »
Hi there
I've just bought a 2008 Speed Pro TT and the brakes are ordinary, I see you've replaced the stock pads on yours with Koolstop pads, I too would like to replace mine, which Koolstop pad did you get to replace the stock ones, I hear the salmon coloured ones are good but which version "Eagle 2 etc??? Enjoyed your post.
Cheers
Jimbo 58

« Reply #15 on: 15 August, 2008, 08:01:43 am »
I donno, I was thinking the same but the model I have do not have this, so I can not see it to believe it.

mine has the suspension hub and 12mm is a bit optimistic, it's more like 5 or 6 (perhaps the rest is 'sag' when I sit on it).  No problems with the pads missing the rim.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 15 August, 2008, 11:04:45 am »
"Chutney Ferret" would be a better name, given that it's slinky and climbs fast  ;)

IRTA 'stinky' and couldn't understand how a bike could be that...
 ;) ;D

« Reply #17 on: 15 August, 2008, 12:10:57 pm »

mine has the suspension hub and 12mm is a bit optimistic, it's more like 5 or 6 (perhaps the rest is 'sag' when I sit on it).  No problems with the pads missing the rim.

Aren't the rims particularly deep to cope with the randomness of where the brakes my bite?   I'm sure I noted that when I gave Tim's bike a test spin.

« Reply #18 on: 21 October, 2008, 06:26:08 pm »

Aren't the rims particularly deep to cope with the randomness of where the brakes my bite?   I'm sure I noted that when I gave Tim's bike a test spin.

mm - I have a 2005 Speed Pro - what woolypigs says about its plus points are all true. With regard to the suspension hub front wheel (which mine came with) my advice is to avoid. The benefit is small - you don't feel the loss of it (I changed my front wheel for a normal one) and the brake pads CAN miss the rim unless you are very very careful. Getting hold of spares for the rubber that lies inside this wonder is not easy and I won't go into the problems you will have if you ever need to change the bearings - which also seem prone to failure on that suspension hub.

I did have repeated problems with bust rear wheel spokes though that now seems to be over. Advisable to source spare spokes to take with you if you are taking the bike away.

A great fun bike and the Sram Dual Drive gear system is great.

So recommended as long as you avoid that suspension front wheel.

Paul

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #19 on: 03 November, 2008, 04:54:55 pm »
Well I have now passed the 1200 miles mark on Chutney, and all I can say I love to ride the Speed Pro TT. Great fun, fast and I do not get any pain in my shoulders or my back when riding around, on long and short journeys.

The only thing that is letting this bike down big time is the rattling noise it makes, I have tried to tie down lose cables with cable ties and soft rim tape in hope to stop the cable outing rattling against the frame. Boy does the "talk" when going around town, but then again she is a woman :)

And then there is the tires "SCHWALBE Stelvio Light TIRE- dahon special edition", they have brilliant grip and are very fast. Not scared at all going around corners at speed and really lean in. But when it come to keeping the fa***es away they are no better than soft Swiss cheese with holes in then. Folding Bicycles and Folding Bicycle Accessories by Dahon

A RaceGuard Belt provides puncture protection: it consists of two carcass layers, between which is sandwiched a virtually impenetrable rubber compound.

My arse !! Lost count on how many I have had (was it 2 or 3 over the weekend) the tires are simply cut to pieces, if they where in a different shape they would be a great sieve.

So yes do get this bike it is worth it, such a great ride. Just be prepared to get some different tires and brake pads, before you head out.

« Reply #20 on: 04 November, 2008, 07:35:10 am »
Re the tyres.

I changed to the Stelvio non Special edition non folding tyre after my special edition (orange stripe) wore out - half the price but equally prone to being cut up.

Continental do the Sport Contact in this size - reputed to be (and matches my experience so far) far more puncture proof.

Lower pressure though and not as fast.

AND though I managed to get one on the rear wheel (so far performing well)  I reduced my hands to a bloody mess trying to get one onto the front - it seems impossible, even though the size is correct.

So if you want to reduce punctures maybe use Conti on back.

Paul

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #21 on: 04 November, 2008, 08:15:25 am »
Sport contacts are deliciously P-proof, but feel very slimey in the wet.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #22 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:33:27 pm »
So in an attempt to get better braking on Chutney, I cut down the generous Dahon cable routing. Front brake by 2.5" and the back nearly 6". I haven't tried it out on road yet, but there is clearly much less movement/give in the cable and it feels like it is "biting" much better. Tough while fettling around I found out that my front break cable was a little bit frayed.

And when I pulled out the cable it was like a cork screw ...

Never seen that before in my fettling career, after a little looksee I think I figured out what caused it. The cable outer is coming out of the handle bar and is going into the shifters at an sharp 90 deg angle with strait lines, not a rounded/smooth/curved angle. Which I also think is the reason for the fraying and some lack of braking power, I have to do some more fettling to see if I can get that routing in a softer/smother angle.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #23 on: 17 January, 2009, 07:49:18 pm »
Cutting the brake cables down did help, I got much better bite on my front and back brake now compared to before.

Bummer is that I have just seen the Speed Pro TT 2009 version and it have V-type brakes. Ain't it just so ...

« Reply #24 on: 03 April, 2009, 08:42:12 am »
Update on mine.

The wonders and frustrations of this bike continue.

In Sardinia with it a few weeks ago and found that the bottom bracket had gone.

It's not done that many miles (and the bottom bracket on my cheapish Ridgeback hybrid is still going strong) at all - amazing.

Luckily a bike shop out there managed to fix it - they were a bit dismissive of the bottom bracket they found in there - replaced it with one from FSA.

So - on a bike not ridden all that much (it's very much a speciality job) I've had:

Several rear wheel spokes replaced.
Front wheel replaced to get rid of crazy suspension hub
Headset disintegrated
Bottom bracket gone

Still, it rides briliantly well, it does fold (handy for foriegn trains where they charge for bikes/need booking and also for chucking in friendly folk's cars) and I've had a fair lot of fun on it  ...

If figure out pic posting will support woollypigs with a pic of it up foriegn mountains/beside the sea.

Paul