Author Topic: My Dahon Vitesse 8  (Read 26837 times)

My Dahon Vitesse 8
« on: 07 April, 2013, 11:45:36 pm »
After buying a Cabriolet which means a small boot and no real means of running a rack, I made the decision to get a folder, after seeking helpfull advice on here a Dahon seemed the best buy for my budget, this is the 2013 spec Vitesse 8 speed.

Changes from standard are Conti tyres, Shimano Deore V brakes, Charge Spoon saddle, Stronglight Impact Chainset (52) plus better grips.

Done 300 miles now since early March and I very pleased with it, so much so it has now become the daily commuter.

I have a few more changes planned, so will update as and when and thanks to everyone for all the help / advice given on this and many other subjects over the years.

Re: My Dahon Vitesse 8
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2013, 02:41:44 pm »
My 5 year old IGH Vitesse is still going strong. They're decent bikes, and whilst various mechanisms on folders are prone to wear the fact one tends to store them indoors means it's possible to keep them in very nice condition.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2013, 03:22:34 pm »
We have a Vitesse 5 and a Vitesse 7 with hub gears, and they do work remarkably well.  We even took them cycle camping, though there are a few niggles we need to iron out for that.  We also have a Speed 7 with derailleur gears.  I think that's essentially the same bike, just steel rather than aluminium.
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2013, 11:10:05 pm »
Hello, How very interesting to see your picture and post of your folding cycle. I too very recently took order of this model of cycle after getting rid of my 'normal' touring cycle. I already own a Dahon Speed 7 which my wife now uses. I have a Steve Parry seat stem carrier for the Brompton touring bag and have fitted a Rixen Kaul luggage stem on the head tube luggage 'whatsit' to afix my Carradice handlebar bag. I also have 'Dutch Perfect 'no puncture' tyres fitted plus a 36 hole rim on the rear wheel with single butted spokes thus getting a tandem strength wheel!. I also purchased the Brompton block as I found a item on the web on how to file the fixing hole's to match up with the holes on the above mentioned Dahon 'whotsit' so I can also use Brompton bags on the front of my machine if I want to! What a good purchase it was. I  have a disabled rail pass for cheap long day's out. What fun!!
Silent for a reason.....deaf!

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2013, 12:02:15 am »
We have a Vitesse 5 and a Vitesse 7 with hub gears, and they do work remarkably well.  We even took them cycle camping, though there are a few niggles we need to iron out for that.  We also have a Speed 7 with derailleur gears.  I think that's essentially the same bike, just steel rather than aluminium.

How's the HG going?  Did you gear it up a bit?  It was always a bit low-geared.  Maybe if you are using it for camping it would be ideal unaltered.

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2013, 06:57:04 am »
I had a d7hg. Loved it, but too small for me. I thought the gearing was okay, but then I'm happy on 63" all year round. I sold it in the end because the feared job in London never happened, and I decided if it did, the d7hg was too heavy for lugging up and down stairs everyday for my weedy arms.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2013, 07:08:35 am »
It was fine for camping as is, but I still intend to gear it up a bit for commuting
Getting there...

Dave44

« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2013, 04:12:12 pm »
My favourite bike is my Dahon Vitesse. I shove it in the back of the car for trips out of town. Mine's a stock 7 speed  derailleur.  Turned it into the 'Sports' version by taking the rack and mudguards off. Fits in the back of a Golf with no  problems.

I did run a Br*mpt*n for a few months, but the Dahon is a much better ride for me. My other bike, (a Moulton ) cost four times the price and I still prefer the Vitesse.  Fudges in London normally have them on sale in December to make room for the new year model. Mine was about £350.

They're assembled in Bulgaria now, from I think, 2012. European! Nicely built and finished though. Puts the Pashley Moulton to shame in parts.

Needs a spoke check after a few months though, they seem to loosen up slightly.

Autocar reviewed them and said they felt 'funny' to ride. You mean, like in a Citroen?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2013, 08:13:43 pm »
Autocar reviewed them and said they felt 'funny' to ride. You mean, like in a Citroen?

;D

I didn't know that Autocar did bike reviews. That said, I saw a review of cars in a bike mag recently, but it was about cars that can carry bikes. Presumably the Autocar review was about bikes that go in cars.

Next: 'Animals you can get inna mug' and 'Which: human can carry the most contraband internally'

(No - I'm not drunk, and I don't want someone to respond with pics/blogsites proving that both of the above are very well-established-but-hitherto-unknown-to-me niches.)

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Dave44

« Reply #9 on: 20 June, 2013, 08:41:40 am »
Yes, Autocar seem to do an annual 'review'  of More Things to Want Which Fit Inside Cars. It's  not as good a read, as say,  Yachting Monthly which also reviews folders occasionally, but dismisses anything a) made of steel (ewww!)  and b) costs less than £20,000. 

The  Vitesse frame (7005 alloy, natch) started off as the corrosion-proof Dahon Mariner bicycle in the USA, some say, where  it is still sold  under that monicker, mainly to people who don't own boats.

It does seem odd to me, that most of the bikes I see in London's salt-strewn winter streets have steel frames. Are they somehow immune from corrosion? Don't these people ever read Yachting Monthly?

Anyway, Gene Hunt's DaTesse seems to have the  ritzy new 2013 paint job, which looks v. good, I think. Mine has the  venomous vertical stripes of Dahons of yore and  a Stronglight crankset, but 48T for my mammoth 'alpine' trips to the Co-op, two kilometres away up a small hillock.

I don't know why any of this  is remotely interesting.

Paul

« Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2013, 06:11:40 pm »
I don't know why any of this  is remotely interesting.

It's because you write well. :thumbsup:

I have a Brompton. I don't like riding it much, but it does fold up neatly.

I tried a Dahon: better ride, worse fold. My Brompton spends more time folded than ridden, so I guess there's some logic there.

Second best thing about a Brompton is other people. They love to have a look and a chat. I've even done impromptu exhibition folds/unfolds at Derby Train station. Crowds* have gathered. Kids love it.

Do Dahons have the same effect?

(*4 people definitely gathered. There were others, but they might just have been glancing)

Is it just you and me now?

Dave44

« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2013, 07:59:41 am »
Well, the Dahonites are mainly ordinary schmoes who get on quietly with their lives, going from A to B, and trying to avoid things like maintenance and people skidding about on 16" rims. The Bromptonauts, on the other hand, deserve praise for riding those funny little bikes with the itty bitty wheels, pausing only to pick up the many parts which fall off. This is why crowds of urchins gather to cheer them along. Every ride on a Br*mpt*n is an adventure, spiced with the possibility of wobbling  under a bus. The crowds you're attracting  are gathering to watch the carnage, like vultures, and pluck trophies like folding pedals from your gory remains.

Moultoneers, on the other hand, are a peculiar lot. You need to own a beard to join the Moulton Club, or at least be thinking of getting one, and have an attraction to real ale, with bits of twigs and leaves in it. Being rich and nerdy also helps: The club magazine recently ran a lengthy feature on The Many Kinds of Pivot Grease  and Moulton-erds often pay £3000-£4000 for antique 'rare' rust-buckets with a letter S stamped on them, bikes which are mainly holes held together by the original paint. It's all quite terrifically gripping and yet, utterly baffling.  Moreover; even the new bikes cost more than a set of gold teeth. It's because they're hand made by  bloke called Bert or something, instead of being nano-meter robot-welded in a Taiwanese factory, like proper bicycles.

Yessir, the Cult of Moulton is a dangerous sect to join. Within a month, you're denouncing your family, reading strange old texts about 'leading link suspension', and being sucked into an annual pilgrimage toward Bradford on Avon. Then you start reading wack-a-doo 2000-word features on molybdenum disulphide grease.

Just say No. Get a Dahon. You know where you are with one.

« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2013, 09:04:45 am »
Well I have done over 900 miles at the moment on it and am very pleased with it, rides great and will cope with a longer ride if needed.

Need to find or get a better pair of wheels made for it at some time.

:)

« Reply #13 on: 03 August, 2013, 10:25:26 am »
Update time, I have replaced the wheels with Dahon Kinetix Comp's with Schwalbe Durano tyres, chainset is now a Sram Apex with a single 53t ring, Tiagra rear mech plus it is now 9spd, I have also fitted Ergon grips.

« Reply #14 on: 03 August, 2013, 10:33:12 am »
Loved my old D7HG, but at 189cm, I'm just a bit too tall :(.  I think Mrs Vorsprung has it now. Great bikes full stop, not just great folding bikes.

« Reply #15 on: 31 August, 2013, 10:22:56 pm »
Updated again today, now running Conti Grand Prix tyres plus I have switched to 10spd with a Sram Apex Rear Mech, cassette and chain, shifter is a Sram X5.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #16 on: 31 August, 2013, 11:03:50 pm »
Looking great. How do you find the ride with 28mm tyres? I'm running 40mm Marathon Racers on Chutney the Speed Pro TT at the moment.

« Reply #17 on: 31 August, 2013, 11:32:00 pm »
Looking great. How do you find the ride with 28mm tyres? I'm running 40mm Marathon Racers on Chutney the Speed Pro TT at the moment.

Not too bad, it is a little harsh but with the speed difference I feel it is a small price to pay.

« Reply #18 on: 10 September, 2013, 12:03:34 am »
Another big change, a friend offered me some drops in 25.4 so I figured it would be worth trying, Tektro v brake levers plus I managed to find a pair of Sram TT / bar end shifters, it rides really well.

Next step is to look at getting a front mech fitted (tracked down an adaptor now) with a double chainset so will be a little easier on the hills.

Paul

« Reply #19 on: 10 September, 2013, 01:10:26 pm »
Another big change, a friend offered me some drops in 25.4 so I figured it would be worth trying, Tektro v brake levers plus I managed to find a pair of Sram TT / bar end shifters, it rides really well.

Next step is to look at getting a front mech fitted (tracked down an adaptor now) with a double chainset so will be a little easier on the hills.

Does it still fold okay?

« Reply #20 on: 10 September, 2013, 02:24:47 pm »

Does it still fold okay?

Yes, it will not go as small as it did but I can manage with getting it in the car all ok.

« Reply #21 on: 15 February, 2014, 08:51:44 pm »
Well the Vitesse 8 is still going strong and has now been joined by another, managed to get a D3 at a really good price as a work bike, switched the tyres to Contis plus a Charge spoon, going to need to up the gearing as it is fitted with a 38t at the moment.

« Reply #22 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:02:54 pm »
Something odd has come to light, the reach on the new one seemed shorter, so I measured it and it is 2cm shorter however the frame is the same length.

So I figured the difference must be the handlepost assembly, but having switched it over they are the same, I can only think the angles are different.

« Reply #23 on: 19 July, 2014, 03:07:52 pm »
This is an encouraging thread. I'm hoping to join the ranks of commuters into the Big Smoke, so I've been looking around at folders. I've been offered a Vitesse, and this thread makes it sound a good option. I've ridden a friend's Brompton, so I know what they are like. I've also been offered a couple of Mezzos, but they aren't local, so I'm not sure whether it's worth travelling to try one - and they cost more. The Mezzo is reckoned to get great reviews, but I've found mixed ones.

Looks as though the easy option of a Dahon is the best one too, on a limited budget. Don't think I could justify new prices. Might struggle for a second-hand Brompton, even if I did find one.

Don't suppose anyone is near North Herts with a Mezzo, just to say I've tried the leading alternatives?

« Reply #24 on: 19 July, 2014, 11:39:07 pm »
I can highly recommend a Dahon, mine is now over 2100 miles in total, way removed from standard and I dread to think what it has cost in the end but it is just a great do it all bike.

Just put mine back on the road after a break, now running Dahon Comp front wheel, custom built rear wheel with a Sun rim on a Tiagra hub, Zee 10spd rear mech with Deore shifter, Tiagra cassette, Deore LX v brakes.

As standard the quality of parts do let them down a little but upgrades transform them, even with the miles mine still folds as it did new, keeping the hinge points greased is another good idea, feel free to ask anymore questions.