Author Topic: Brompton dynamo systems - views?  (Read 1586 times)

Brompton dynamo systems - views?
« on: 10 August, 2014, 07:36:59 pm »
I've offered to service a friend's Brompton. Never worked on one before. One thing he said would be nice would be to get the Basta dynamo system working again.

Not much chance of that. The front light cable is broken. The light is taped together. The rear (LED) light gets power but doesn't work (probably burnt out after the front failed and all the power went to one light). The dynamo (alternator for posh) produces some power, but tends to lock up after a few turns - and the rubber drive ring has a worn spot as a result.

We're pretty much talking about a complete new system here. I happily use a bottle-dynamo system on one of my regular bikes, so I know something about them. However, how are the Brompton systems?

All comments on Brompton lighting welcome.

The rest of the bike is in good condition, by the way :thumbsup:

fossala

Re: Brompton dynamo systems - views?
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2014, 09:00:58 pm »
I use the Son dynamo kit on mine. Works fine.

« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2014, 10:22:01 pm »
That's the hub system? How about bottles anyone?

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2014, 10:30:29 pm »
My first Brompton had a bottle dynamo. Eventually it siezed so I put another one on. That eventually siezed I think. I ended up using battery lights.

My second Brompton has a hub dynamo and led lights - that's the way to do it, nice and reliable and all the moving parts tucked out of the way.

I wouldn't bother with a bottle dynamo again.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!