Author Topic: Brompton - 2-speed vs 3-speed  (Read 30015 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Brompton - 2-speed vs 3-speed
« Reply #50 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:44:07 pm »

I'd better get domestic clearance first.

So it wont be the titanium version then?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #51 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:46:30 pm »

No, but not for that reason - on reflection, I'm just not sure it's worth the extra money. Also I've heard (can't remember where from but I think it was a reliable source) that titanium parts are in short supply at the moment so it would take a long time to fulfil the order.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #52 on: 17 December, 2015, 03:00:37 pm »
Titanium weighs .9KG less @ £570. 75G of which is due to taking the pump away!

« Reply #53 on: 17 December, 2015, 03:14:35 pm »

No, but not for that reason - on reflection, I'm just not sure it's worth the extra money. Also I've heard (can't remember where from but I think it was a reliable source) that titanium parts are in short supply at the moment so it would take a long time to fulfil the order.
Are you tied in to a particular dealer?
If not, you could do worse than give Chris Compton in Catford a call - he boasts that he always has 40 Bromptons in stock, and was able to match the spec I wanted, ex-stock.

ian

« Reply #54 on: 17 December, 2015, 03:35:55 pm »
I test rode a titanium one and I couldn't really tell the difference. I also tried the M bars and didn't like that much. S-bars do feel like a proper bike. I just have the standard six gears which seem to work out fine.

And yes, that was at Comptons in Catford, they had them in stock and a full range of models to test ride. That's where I got mine. A day or so's wait while they swapped from 3-to-6 speed and put some Marathon Pluses on it.

citoyen

« Reply #55 on: 17 December, 2015, 04:07:18 pm »
Are you tied in to a particular dealer?
If not, you could do worse than give Chris Compton in Catford a call - he boasts that he always has 40 Bromptons in stock, and was able to match the spec I wanted, ex-stock.

Well, the one I've set my heart on is the S2L Black Edition, and they just happen to have one in stock at the Evans near the office... hence it was very difficult to resist clinching the deal today.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 17 December, 2015, 04:23:21 pm »
The way I see it, titanium's more about a rust-free rear triangle than the weight.

citoyen

« Reply #57 on: 17 December, 2015, 04:41:28 pm »
The way I see it, titanium's more about a rust-free rear triangle than the weight.

Yep, same here. It's definitely not worth getting ti for the minimal weight saving but might be worth it to avoid the roller arms rusting off after a few years of negligence.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #58 on: 20 December, 2015, 08:01:07 pm »
The weight saving of the Ti rear triangle is reasonable in absolute terms, but very poor for the money.  It is a nicely-made part but leaving off the pump peg is bizarre.  Unless Ti Brompton owners always hail a taxi when they get a puncture, they're still going to have to carry a mini-pump or CO2; and those sneaky gits at Brompton include the lack of a pump in the quoted weight saving!

You can stop a steel rear triangle rusting from the inside, which is the usual problem, by squirting Waxoyl aerosol into the tubes, which are helpfully open at each end.  The brake bridge can be done through the brake drilling.  It adds no real weight and should work for a few years before you need to do it again.  I injected NSTN's old Brompton, which was pretty much rust-free*, all over with Waxoyl.

*same goes for London cars; the gearboxes and brakes may be shot but they don't rust badly because the roads aren't salted as much as in the provinces and they dryy out quicker.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #59 on: 22 December, 2015, 06:25:05 am »
Do you still get Ti forks with the Ti version? I wonder how much weight that saves. Might add a bit of comfort too.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #60 on: 22 December, 2015, 12:53:09 pm »
Still Ti forks.  Any weight saving is included in Brompton's quote, which includes all the lighter components that come with the Ti frameset as well.  Yes it's a lot of money for a small total, but weight weenyism is always like that.  You can spend even more per gram saved by replacing steel bolts for titanium.  It's more justified on a folding bike than a "normal" bike when you have to lift the thing.  Of course corrosion resistance the more sensible justification.  Having less paint to worry about is another little bonus.

The forks are too short to provide any comfort, I think.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

ian

« Reply #61 on: 23 December, 2015, 12:31:47 pm »
Fortunately I don't believe in rust.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #62 on: 04 January, 2016, 09:09:12 pm »
Nor do most Brompton owners; if you get one with a decent powdercoat (i.e., not one that flakes off after a year like on my S-type) it does a good job of hiding the rust until the rear triangle falls apart.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.