Author Topic: Velodrome - Chemical Brothers  (Read 3151 times)

red marley

Velodrome - Chemical Brothers
« on: 12 September, 2012, 10:32:33 pm »
Before every session at the Velodrome, they played a specially commissioned video - 'Velodrome' by Kraftwerk, Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers:

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=47100629&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=47100629&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

It did the job well in getting the crowd going and is now firmly attached to my memory of the Olympic/Paralympic events. I noticed they also played it at Herne Hill last weekend during the Madison. Perhaps a new cycling anthem? Certainly one for the iPod on those lonely nighttime Trawsfynydd traversals on the Bryan Chapman.

plum

Re: Velodrome - Chemical Brothers
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2012, 07:18:19 am »
Sorry but that's nasty, sounds like a badly made talk radio jingle. Chems let themselves down there.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:41:15 am »
I think you'll find it was meant to be a jingle.

I though it was great in the context, as Jo says. Perhaps if you weren't there, you might not understand.
It is simpler than it looks.

plum

« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:51:22 pm »
Says a lot about a piece of music [or any other art form for that matter] if you have to have 'been there' to understand it. Just another way of saying it can't stand up on its own. Like any football song, they capture a moment but everyone knows they're crap.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:08:28 pm »
It's a shame that you couldn't be there, but there's no need to be upset about it, that's just the way it is.
It is simpler than it looks.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:51:35 pm »
It's okay background music.  It's been linked to on the forum several times already.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

AndyK

« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:56:00 pm »
The full six minute version is better.

Jakob

« Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2012, 11:00:07 pm »
Hmm. Yeah, pretty much a straight flashback to the early 90's, without the cultural relevance to help it out.

« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2012, 11:00:50 pm »
It's wonderful, but then the Chemicals always have provided the thinking (wo)mans techno.  I love it.

AndyK

« Reply #9 on: 13 September, 2012, 11:05:59 pm »
It's very good, and I do like it, but I feel it borrows quite a lot from Daft Punk and their treatment of the Tron Legacy soundtrack.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mlZ5vkPS34M&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mlZ5vkPS34M&rel=1</a>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 14 September, 2012, 10:29:10 am »
Perhaps a new cycling anthem? Certainly one for the iPod on those lonely nighttime Trawsfynydd traversals on the Bryan Chapman.
I think that would drive me to jump in the cooling lake! But music is a very personal thing - and I'm an old fart (always have been, musically). And I Wasn't There.

If we're going to have a new cycling anthem, I'd love it to be Won't Get Fooled Again - reminding me of the lovely montage ITV put together at the end of Le Tour. It may be dad-rock, but it's a great tune.

Brilliant visuals in that vid BTW - I thought the 'O's were turning into Polo mints at one point!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 14 September, 2012, 03:44:49 pm »

If we're going to have a new cycling anthem, I'd love it to be Won't Get Fooled Again - reminding me of the lovely montage ITV put together at the end of Le Tour. It may be dad-rock, but it's a great tune.

Considering the lyrics of that song, I'm just wondering if I really have seen what you did there. :demon: ;D ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 14 September, 2012, 04:03:45 pm »
Well yes. They could have chosen any number of decent Who songs to tie in with the Wiggo mod thing, so I'm sure the producers considered the lyrics  ;D

(My favourite is Magic Bus which would have fitted quite nicely, but it doesn't have the aural epicosity of their other hits. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

plum

« Reply #13 on: 14 September, 2012, 10:54:14 pm »
It's wonderful, but then the Chemicals always have provided the thinking (wo)mans techno.  I love it.
It's been called by lots of names, big beat, chemical beats even, but Techno it definitely isn't.

« Reply #14 on: 15 September, 2012, 09:59:18 am »
It's been called by lots of names, big beat, chemical beats even, but Techno it definitely isn't.

I'm no expert and happy to be corrected!  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 05 November, 2012, 10:11:07 am »
The pleasure I derived from the video was from the aptness of the name of its authors.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 05 November, 2012, 11:12:06 am »
As a piece of music it's horrible. But that's just my opinion. It's not the type of music I would like anyway and I don't have to listen to it - in fact I found it so horrible I fast forwarded that little clip to near the end and it still sounded just as bad! If I could have heard it in the context - well, I still wouldn't have liked it musically, but as a crowd whipper-upper I can see it would work with the atmosphere. And anywhere else, well I don't have to listen to it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #17 on: 06 November, 2012, 07:45:24 am »
Was tying something by the Chemical Brothers into cycling a sub-conscious dig?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor