Author Topic: Do greylag and canada geese hybridise?  (Read 1490 times)

Do greylag and canada geese hybridise?
« on: 11 January, 2013, 09:17:37 pm »
Saw a goose on the Foss today, the mostly coloured like a greylag, but the head and neck were dark brown with a pale beige chin strap like the black and white pattern on a canada goose....

Do they mix?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Re: Do greylag and canada geese hybridise?
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2013, 12:47:22 pm »
Yes.

http://www.gobirding.eu/Photos/HybridGeese.php

Cheers! What I saw was pretty much like this:

only the 'chinstrap' was even more exactly like the shape of a Canada goose...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2013, 10:23:58 pm »
We often see examples on the Thames near Kingston. I took this photo of one a few years ago ...............

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2013, 09:10:15 pm »
Geese prove how silly taxonomy has become. In reality, a few of the species in the genera Anser & Branta should probably be combined under Anser anser. The traditional separation was based on colour.  :facepalm:

The last I heard, it was definitely established that some of the Anser 'species' are fully interfertile, produce fertile offspring, & readily breed when they meet. Nobody knew if greylag/canada goose hybrids are fertile, & nobody was trying to find out. It was generally assumed that because they'd been classified in different genera, they'd be infertile.  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

I hope that one day, sanity breaks out among taxonomists, but I won't hold my breath. I think that they're determined to classify as many species as possible because that's how you get your name in books.  >:(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897