Author Topic: Elderly cat  (Read 1714 times)

Elderly cat
« on: 06 January, 2015, 11:06:42 am »
Our 17 year old cat has taken to drinking lots of water.  It was very gradual but now we are topping up the bowl much more frequently. He also no longer goes out at night and we have to leave a litter tray down if we don't want to find a puddle on the kitchen floor.  Until recently he was very agile but has quite suddenly lost the ability to spring up on things.

Otherwise his appetite is good and he is active and alert.

I'm wondering if it is just an age thing or I should be thinking of seeking the vet's advice.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: Elderly cat
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:18:38 am »
Vet's advice I'd say Asters. You're already thinking it yourself really, and they're the experts.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:30:04 am »
I'm with Riggers on this - time for the vet. From experience with our ageing mogs the change in drinking habits could be due to diabetes or renal issues (our mogs survived several years while being treated for these BTW).

« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2015, 04:06:50 pm »
Thanks, he is booked in for a check up.  Sure he'll love that.. 

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2015, 06:33:12 pm »
I don't know about the water, but my brother's cat is getting on in years, and noticeably struggling to get up to his favourite chair as arthritis sets in. So my brother had me make some ramps for the cat so he can still get up. (It's a different matter that my brother has progressive disabilities but tends to avoid adaptations for himself!)

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2015, 06:49:41 pm »
We've had to buy a folding step-stool, sold for use getting into caravans, for our old mog to get up to his favourite sofa.
And his hips are on the way out as well.
And the other one is on thyroid treatment and is going back for a check on Tuesday...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2015, 07:34:20 pm »
Vet says he is really in pretty good condition for a 17 yr old but has given me 4 urine testing strips to check for diabetes.  He actually seemed to enjoy being taken to the vet and getting lots of attention.   Since I got the strips he has decided he is going to pee outdoors now, wouldn't you know it..

« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:12:27 pm »
Vet says he is really in pretty good condition for a 17 yr old but has given me 4 urine testing strips to check for diabetes.  He actually seemed to enjoy being taken to the vet and getting lots of attention.   Since I got the strips he has decided he is going to pee outdoors now, wouldn't you know it..
Kimmy, our cat, is nearly 20. She started drinking a lot of water & also started to go a bit despondent, so we took her to the vets & she was diagnosed with diabetes... Cost a bit to sort, but with an insulin injection in the scruff of her neck twice a day with wet pouch meals (low carb) she's fine. 

For the stiff joints, we add Joint Aid for Cats (you can by it off the internet) to her breakfast (one small scoop), which has increased her suppleness.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2015, 07:08:00 pm »
We managed to get a sample off him and the vet has cleared him of diabetes which is good.

Unfortunately the symptoms are of gradual kidney failure, something that can take a long time as the cat ages.  Fortunately it is not a a source of discomfort so long as he gets lots of water to drink;  it's important not to try and restrict water intake, even if he does pee on the floor now and then!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2015, 07:22:52 pm »
Our elderly cat had progressive kidney failure for about two years, we fed him exclusively on special kidney cat food, he loved it, although many cats don't. I'm sure it prolonged his life.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2015, 08:34:30 pm »
Mojo had kidney failure and coped well for several years with it.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.