Author Topic: Identifying a tandem  (Read 4319 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Identifying a tandem
« on: 03 April, 2011, 04:59:56 am »
Looking to find out more about tandem that I'm working on.  Its a Higgins, according to the name badge and has a curved rear seat tube so that it could be a claude butler.  Anywhere I can find out for sure.

Re: Identifying a tandem
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2011, 07:12:22 am »
Post a few piggies here and get in touch with the Tandem Club too.

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2011, 07:27:32 am »
In the tandem club link on your other thread, the frame described has a distinctive flattened and extended seat tube.  I do not know if all were like that.  If your frame has a Higgins badge on it I would very much doubt it is actually a Claud (note no "e" on the end of Claud) Butler since I cannot imagine anybody swapping the badge over.

There is a register of Higgins frames kept by a Tricycle Association member The Tricycle Association - Home I understand that the register includes bicycles as well as tricycles.  He may well be able to give some pointers.  His hours are at the bottom of the page here  The Tricycle Association - Higgins Spares

shortclaud

« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2011, 08:12:44 pm »
Despite the name, I've a couple of Higgins tandems. They are obviously different to the USB Clauds, (of which I've got more than a couple) so as Tewdric suggests a few pretty pictures will tell all.
Higgins made tandems without the curved rear tube (a normal straight seat tube), but I've never seen a Higgins tandem with a curved one that isn't the flattened pattern you describe.
Nice machines. But I still prefer Clauds.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2011, 03:27:37 pm »
It's not difficult, tandems have a longer wheelbase than solos and can usually be verified by having two saddles and two sets of bars...

...oh, hang on...

IGMC

;)

P.S. can we see some piccies please (I promise I won't post any more silly comments)?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2011, 01:01:45 am »
Finally the tandem is at mine.

Interesting ride from central london to Woolwich.  It really does get some attention.

The rear rim is terminal as has cracking at the spoke holes.  The hole in the down tube and damaged rear drop out to me says it needs a professional repair.  Now to find someone who will do a proper job and not charge the earth.

Am going to take it to Perry cycles as the chap there really is in to restoring old classic bikes and this is a piece of history and worth saving.  If not by me, by some one.

« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2011, 07:38:37 pm »
I look forward to seeing some photos of the restoration of this tandem.

I did a webpage on the tandem that we restored several years ago: XnTRICK Raleigh 1937 tandem.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2013, 03:44:01 pm »
Here is a picture of bike

Trying to find a frame number but that looks quite difficult.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2013, 09:27:05 pm »
You don't like rushing things, do you?

I can't help, but I would say that the frame is interesting. I've not seen that arrangement before (not that I'm an expert, mind).

Were it not for the racks I'd have said it might be a racing frame, because of the paucity of tubing and the curved rear seat tube (shorter wheelbase, stoker more tucked behind captain). But the rack makes me think I'm probably wrong about that.

I'm not sure there's much point trying to charge it up. ;)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 19 May, 2013, 09:50:04 pm »
But it looks to me like the rack has been bodgd on (p-clips?), and doesn't have the front struts because of the steep seatstays.  Quite possibly a TT tandem, I think.
Getting there...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2013, 11:56:53 pm »
Sorry got side tracked.

The rear rack is attached by P clips at both ends.  It has caused damage to the frame.

The badge is higgins and the forks have a 4 numbers on the fork stem.

« Reply #11 on: 20 May, 2013, 07:23:04 am »
Expect on this forum a few silly comments about the stoker's saddle ;)

There was a trend in France in the 1980's and 90's  for touring tandem frames with a very short wheelbase.
Follis have produced many of those frames with a desperately small stoker's area. Take great care about
that, if you don't want to quickly put your partner off tandeming!