Author Topic: Bike mounted USB Charger  (Read 82611 times)

Bike mounted USB Charger
« on: 07 August, 2008, 11:09:02 am »
This looks interesting, it's a mini wind turbine you can mount on your bike to charge things via a USB connector.

MiniWiz HYmini Wind Powered Charger Description - eXpansys UK

I came very close to ordering one...

Re: Bike mounted USB Charger
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:16:30 am »
Looks interesting but I would like something that runs from a dynamo hub.

Like this for instance.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:29:48 am »

Like this for instance.

I've been wondering of something like this existed.  Looks tempting (once I set up a bike with a hub dynamo...)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:54:49 am »

Like this for instance.

I've been wondering of something like this existed.  Looks tempting (once I set up a bike with a hub dynamo...)

I'd like one that you can also put some AA/AAA cells into too.   That way I could charge my GPS/radio batteries as well if need be.

« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:57:11 am »

Like this for instance.

I've got one of those (though an earlier model that doesn't fold). I haven't fitted it yet- I've been more concerned with sorting out the lights from the hub.
Another possibility is the Ixon Ride and Charge. It will charge the batteries in the light which you could then swap with the set in a GPS etc. Costs more but you get a good light as well.

« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:50:27 pm »
Make your own using a LM2940CT. It's not exactly rocket science !

« Reply #6 on: 07 August, 2008, 01:07:36 pm »

It might just as well be to me  :)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2008, 01:10:52 pm »

I'm sure it's not (I've worked with rocket scientists).*  But at the moment I'd rather spend my time and effort becoming a stronger cyclist than learning about electrickery and kitting myself out to build chargers and other such things.  That's not to say I don't want to learn, but it's fairly well down my 'to do' list.

* But I did have to google LM2940CT.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 07 August, 2008, 01:15:33 pm »

I'm sure it's not (I've worked with rocket scientists).*  But at the moment I'd rather spend my time and effort becoming a stronger cyclist than learning about electrickery and kitting myself out to build chargers and other such things.  That's not to say I don't want to learn, but it's fairly well down my 'to do' list.

* But I did have to google LM2940CT.
[/b]

Me too.  And then I thought:  WTF do I do with that then?

« Reply #9 on: 07 August, 2008, 01:15:52 pm »
Wonder would it charge a Garmin 705 via USB?

Very interesting device. I can't understand why the manufacturers haven't come up with a way to charge AAs.

« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2008, 01:38:31 pm »
To clarify  ;D

The LM2940 has three pins - +ve in, +ve out and ground. It regulates a wide range of inputs to a 5v output. All you need is a rectified output from your hub dynamo (think 4 x 1n5818) into the LM2940 and bingo you have an output that can be connected directly yo a mini USB cable for charging a whole range of stuff. (A couple of tantalum caps in and out of the LM2940 might be useful to smooth)

Five minutes work with a soldering iron and a total cost of about £3

« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:51:42 pm »
Wonder would it charge a Garmin 705 via USB?

Very interesting device. I can't understand why the manufacturers haven't come up with a way to charge AAs.

That's what the Ride and Charge does though the batteries have to be in the headlight.
Here's the B&M info:- Busch & Müller KG
You can link the R&C info from there (how's your German ?)

Peter White has info as well:-
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/PDFs/B&M%20Ride&Charge%20Inst.pdf

Expensive option since you have to get a dynamo, headlight and the R&C, but it is a good light.

I haven't fitted the R&C yet- I'm waiting to get my new bike because some faffing will be required.

If anyone wants to borrow my Copy Cat Solar device (the one linked to by Polar Bear), they're very welcome- let me know.

And, like several of you, making my own really isn't a good idea  ::-) ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:54:21 pm »
This looks interesting, it's a mini wind turbine you can mount on your bike to charge things via a USB connector.

MiniWiz HYmini Wind Powered Charger Description - eXpansys UK

I came very close to ordering one...

I'm tempted.  It would be useful for touring at it's weight is relatively negligible compared to batteries.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:02:42 pm »
I reckon you could get more than enough solar cells onto the tailfairing of a recumbent.  You'd be in power a plenty.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:39:22 pm »
To clarify  ;D

The LM2940 has three pins - +ve in, +ve out and ground. It regulates a wide range of inputs to a 5v output. All you need is a rectified output from your hub dynamo (think 4 x 1n5818) into the LM2940 and bingo you have an output that can be connected directly yo a mini USB cable for charging a whole range of stuff. (A couple of tantalum caps in and out of the LM2940 might be useful to smooth)

Blimey.  That's neat, and remarkably easy to do.

I reckon a bit of cottage-industry work could net a tidy return if someone made a load of those up in nice neat packages. 

I think I shall have a go at making one.  It'd power my phone as well.  Damn useful on PBP or LEL :)

« Reply #15 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:43:31 pm »
To clarify  ;D

Blimey.  That's neat, and remarkably easy to do.

I reckon a bit of cottage-industry work could net a tidy return if someone made a load of those up in nice neat packages. 

I think I shall have a go at making one.  It'd power my phone as well.  Damn useful on PBP or LEL :)

Yup. I use one to power my phone/GPS on longer rides as the batteries only last about 4 hours when using the GPS. Also has the advantage of powering up the backlight so you can actually see it when riding.

« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2008, 11:00:05 am »
No, it will not work with the 605 / 705.

Hymini are planning to bring out a charger that will use existing dynamo output to charge AAs or an internal Li cell, but there is no mention of a wind-powered AA charger, which is what I'd be interested in.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #17 on: 11 August, 2008, 10:57:35 am »

It might not work. The 2940 requires an input voltage greater than the output voltage.

Some extra fudging may be required to get it to work happily.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

border-rider

« Reply #18 on: 11 August, 2008, 04:31:11 pm »

It might not work. The 2940 requires an input voltage greater than the output voltage.

..d

Should be OK with a hub dynamo above a handful of mph. 

« Reply #19 on: 11 August, 2008, 07:09:27 pm »

..d

It works fine. I've made a few for various people including myself. The LM2940CT was chosen because it is a low dropout version - requiring only 0.5 volt above the output voltage (in this case 5.0v). As MV said it works from about 3mph up.

For extra oomph I usually add a tuning bipolar cap to the rectifier input (or two back to back electolytics), but this is only necessary if you really need all 500ma from walking pace - otherwise just a rectifier and 2940 is fine.

David Martin

« Reply #20 on: 11 August, 2008, 07:21:36 pm »

..d

It works fine. I've made a few for various people including myself. The LM2940CT was chosen because it is a low dropout version - requiring only 0.5 volt above the output voltage (in this case 5.0v). As MV said it works from about 3mph up.

For extra oomph I usually add a tuning bipolar cap to the rectifier input (or two back to back electolytics), but this is only necessary if you really need all 500ma from walking pace - otherwise just a rectifier and 2940 is fine.

is it really as simple as it sounds?

Bridge rectifier and the voltage controller, or isthere some assumed knowledge I am missing here? Any chance of a circuit diagram?

..d

« Reply #21 on: 11 August, 2008, 08:36:03 pm »

For hub dynamo

D1 - D4     1N5818
C1             2200uF   16v
C2, C3       470uF     63v   Low ESR
C4             .47uF      Tantalum bead
C5             22uF       Tantalum bead
R1             47K         .25W

This is the full monty, all singing, all dancing circuit. You can leave out C1, C2, C3 and R1 if you wish, though C1 is quite useful to smooth the rectifier output. If you leave out the input tuning circuitry (C2, C3, R1) then connect the dynamo input between D2 and D4.

David Martin

« Reply #22 on: 11 August, 2008, 08:59:05 pm »

For hub dynamo

D1 - D4     1N5818
C1             2200uF   16v
C2, C3       470uF     63v   Low ESR
C4             .47uF      Tantalum bead
C5             22uF       Tantalum bead
R1             47K         .25W

This is the full monty, all singing, all dancing circuit. You can leave out C1, C2, C3 and R1 if you wish, though C1 is quite useful to smooth the rectifier output. If you leave out the input tuning circuitry (C2, C3, R1) then connect the dynamo input between D2 and D4.

Brilliant.. I'll pop into Maplins next time I pass through Edinburgh (hopefully this week) and get the necessary parts.. I can then test it on my commuter bike.

..d

bobajobrob

« Reply #23 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:31:29 am »
Brilliant stuff, thanks Simon. I've started ordering some of the parts from maplins.co.uk.

« Reply #24 on: 12 August, 2008, 12:07:04 pm »
Just a note of caution. When building the circuit make sure that C1 cannot be disconnected from the LM2940 and/or touched by any part of the body. When the dynamo is spinning fast with little or no drain on C1, it can easily charge up to 100v (the dynamo outputs increasing voltage in an effort to output 500mA). A discharge from this to the body would be uncomfortable at least and there is a genuine danger of death.