Author Topic: Sleeving a nutted brake  (Read 788 times)

Sleeving a nutted brake
« on: 15 February, 2013, 09:19:13 pm »
I've got a pair of nut-fitting brakes. I've replaced my forks, and the new forks are drilled for A/K brakes. I could of course replace one brake, but I'm looking at a workaround.

I've previously solved this with the knurled ring from a Presta valve. That screwed onto the brake pivot bolt, and sat in the recess where the A/K bolt would go, holding the bolt steady, with the normal nut fitting afterwards.

On this pair of forks, the recess isn't deep enough, and the nut would bolt up against the ring, so I'm thinking about a sleeve that would go over the pivot bolt to increase its diameter to that of the A/K nut.

Anyone come across something to suit?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Sleeving a nutted brake
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2013, 09:22:28 pm »
There are little doohickeys to do the job, a lot like the grommits for Presta valves in Schraeder-drilled rims.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2013, 09:38:27 pm »
Any idea where I can buy a doohickey?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2013, 01:10:23 pm »
http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/brz2.htm is a little far away but gives an idea of what you are looking for. I have a couple of similar things here that might help you out. PM me.

What is the problem with the nut butting up against the flanged sleeve/spacer?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2013, 06:28:34 pm »
Nothing if you're using a doohickey, but I was using a valve ring, which is threaded, so if the nut butts up against it then the two will lock and the brake won't be tight on the frame.

I was in Hatfield today for a meeting, so I dropped into Hatfield Cycles. They found me a plastic Presta-Schraeder rim adaptor, which should do the job. Didn't even charge me :thumbsup: This one by Wheels Manufacturing, being alloy, might be even better.

I knew there was bound to be something I could use, if only I could think of it. Thanks all :)