Author Topic: It should be a quiet night on the roads.  (Read 6755 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It should be a quiet night on the roads.
« Reply #25 on: 21 May, 2008, 11:58:46 pm »
Well, that was an absolutely wonderful little ride. Only 17 miles, but what a lot we packed in!

Del arrived to time and we set off on well-trodden paths past Southend Hospital, but towards the Borough Boundary we dived into Belfairs Woods. Del, it turned out, had never been that way. Jan & I used this route on one of our first ever tandem rides, an 11-miler one Sunday morning which we achieved in a little over an hour and which was really the starting point of my dream to do LEJoG.

A bit of circuitous riding along lanes that time forgot and soon we crossed the A13 at Hadleigh and then followed Benfleet Road, with its plush residences, whereupon we reached Essex Way. I'd never cycled down it before, but what a magnificent ride it makes! Dez has been into the details and we won't dwell on them too much other than to say that there will be repercussions of an as yet undecided nature... 43.6 mph indeed! >:( However, it demonstrates clearly that Essex is hillier than Lancashire: on LEJoG, Jan & I only managed 45.2 on the Nick of Pendle. 45.9 mph today, almost as much as we managed descending Glen Convinth coming off the Highlands (46.2 mph). We maintained over 40 mph for quite some time after we entered the 30 mph limit, but we didn't catch up with the car in front of us.

The vagrant visitor erstwhile,
My colour-plate book says to me,
Could wend by hedgerow-side and stile
From Benfleet down to Leigh-on-Sea.

This we did, stopping for a couple of pints of Young's Special at the Barge Gladys, the Club Barge for the Benfleet Yacht Club (non-members and visitors welcome), which Betjeman doesn't seem to mention. Thereafter, we had a rather bumpy Rohloff-testing ride (the peloton had two Rohloffs to one derailleur) along the sea wall into Leigh. There weren't many hedge-rows but there were three stiles, two of which required the bikes to be lifted over. We wended our way behind the cockle sheds and had another pint at the Crooked Billet, being the only ones sitting outside as the penalty shoot-out was under way, before carrying on past the "No Cycling" signs along the sea front, up Shorefield Road and home.

Summer evening cycling - dontcha just luvvit?  :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #26 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:07:57 am »
AOL to what Dez and Wowbagger have mentioned plus the fox stalking the crane just beofre the Barge Gladys and the search for the wayward light and battery on the cinder track. Clunk click every trip!

Many thanks to Wowbagger, Mrs. Wow and Dez for a most enjoyable evening ride. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #27 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:09:25 am »
'Twas a heron, Del, not a crane.

If Simon L3 could be persuaded that the Sea Wall between Benfleet and Leigh is, although rather rutted in places, not worse than the speed humps along the bridle track near Tourist Tony's, Essex Way could be a good alternative after Bread & Cheese Hill for FNRttC.

« Reply #28 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:17:19 am »

Damn, I knew it was one or the other! The fox was definitely a fox and Barge Gladys is a barge. Unlike the Barge at Battlesbridge which is a building and of no use to carry goods up the Thames!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #29 on: 22 May, 2008, 07:30:26 am »
Hahahahahaha  ;D

I did 43.6mph down Essex Way on my dad's Thorn solo machine. He's never got it over 40mph.  :D

And I didn't pedal all the way down... and the saddle wasn't high enough for me... and I braked a few times...

He and mum did 45.9 on the tandem and delthebike got to 42.4.

I have experienced the descending speed of The Baggers Wow.   As a somewhat cowardly pragmatitic descender myself, I was constantly finding myself floundering in their wake on our Ceredigion pootle last year.
Especially the hill with the promise of the lunch time pub at the bottom.  ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #30 on: 22 May, 2008, 08:05:16 am »

I have experienced the descending speed of The Baggers Wow.
I had to pedal like a maniac to catch up and when I was 15 - 20' behind I stopped pedaling. After that they just fell away. Gravity sucks! Next time I'll get on the back wheel and draft.  :thumbsup:

OT alert:
Thinking about it now I'm reminded of my first parachute jump and looking at the plane continuing on as I fell, while counting to four and waiting for my chute to open. A truly amazing experience.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #31 on: 22 May, 2008, 08:24:10 am »
Our parachute didn't open last night. That happens automatically when the rim temperature gets within 20°C of the melting point of rubber.  :o

CathH

« Reply #32 on: 22 May, 2008, 11:44:01 am »
Grrrrr, so that's why my fencers blew me out.  They were supposed to come round and measure up for a fencing quote tonight.
At least it's not the fence blown out.
;D True - that happened a few months ago.  Still, I knuckled down to some serious cat cuddling so I'm not worried.

« Reply #33 on: 22 May, 2008, 11:55:42 am »

If Simon L3 could be persuaded that the Sea Wall between Benfleet and Leigh is, although rather rutted in places, not worse than the speed humps along the bridle track near Tourist Tony's, Essex Way could be a good alternative after Bread & Cheese Hill for FNRttC.

I can imagine the complaints now when folk realise they've climbed bread and Cheese, slogged up Shipwrights Drive (which is an energy sapping slight incline) flown down Essex Way and then told there was a flat alternative route  ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #34 on: 22 May, 2008, 03:45:10 pm »
Well, the only flattish alternative is to turn right into Kent Hills Road.  But it's a bit boring, innit?

Or is there something I have overlooked? The opportunity to exceed 50 mph is only available to those who have earned it.

Domestique

« Reply #35 on: 22 May, 2008, 05:16:38 pm »
Vicarage hill is a nice alternative to Essex Way

« Reply #36 on: 23 May, 2008, 12:12:08 pm »
Only on the way down though.  It's a bastard on the way up and I don't like the blind bends up by the vicarage as you're stuck on a narrow lane against a brick wall, should an idiot come racing up from behind.