Author Topic: Tour de France 2018  (Read 133895 times)

Re: Tour de France 2018
« Reply #100 on: 02 July, 2018, 09:03:42 pm »
Who said he would lose the race results  or his knighthood? I didn't, despite you announcing that I "assured" it. You can talk bollocks as much as you like Matt, but don't lie about things I haven't said

. You do realise that the DCMS doesnt have the power the strip titles, dont you?

Oh...you didn't? I see

UKAD have responsibility for policing UK athletes. Do you remember what they said about why the investigation came to an end?  Oh you don't?  Maybe you should .

He has gone down though. "Reputation in tatters".

« Reply #101 on: 02 July, 2018, 09:08:45 pm »
Yeah, bet you don't get the cookery classes, local specialities, music, song and dance that France3 puts out for at least a couple of hours a day that is outside the mainstream race coverage

Oh, no!! I'm missing all this?

« Reply #102 on: 02 July, 2018, 10:39:09 pm »
Quiet word from the Murdoch Empire about jamming all French media for the duration if Froome banned?

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #104 on: 03 July, 2018, 05:45:54 pm »
A poorly researched set of predictions from the mirror on the likely outcome:
link

« Reply #105 on: 03 July, 2018, 06:07:08 pm »
link

About as knowledgeable as your average Team Sky fan  and mattc  ;D

« Reply #106 on: 03 July, 2018, 09:16:55 pm »
I think the ASO left their decision until the last minute so that Froome/Sky would have a minimal chance to appeal.  If I were running the race, it's what I would have done. 
Whether it's to get a French rider leading le Tour, or to hurry up a decision from the UCI, we will never know.  Whichever, the ASO are better off for it.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #107 on: 03 July, 2018, 10:37:13 pm »
Anyhoo...this year's Tour will be hotly contested. Froome is knocking on a bit, and has a Giro win in his legs but no racing since then. Plus the doping positive will have taken it's toll.

He's also got Porte and Land a to contend with. Should be a dramatic race.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #108 on: 03 July, 2018, 10:55:17 pm »
Reads a little too much like The Clinic in here.  I thought YACF better than that.

« Reply #109 on: 03 July, 2018, 11:13:43 pm »
The Clinic?  The Comic?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #110 on: 04 July, 2018, 10:30:29 am »
Cycle racing is probably one of the most boring of spectator events unless seen on TV, if ever I am able to watch the TdF on TV it is the wonderful French countryside that grips my interest.
I think that sailing would run it pretty close. They don't even follow the same course for much of the race and only come together at the marks. Even if you are a sailor it can be pretty subjective who is in the lead, and if you are watching it IRL then the action is probably taking place a long way off unless you are on a boat and even then you can't work it out easily. None enthusiast stand no chance at all.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #111 on: 04 July, 2018, 12:13:21 pm »
The Clinic?  The Comic?

The Clinic is a sub-board on the Cycling News forum where doping issues are to be debated instead of clogging up the racing-related threads. From observation, it is a morass of conspiracy theorising, every debating fallacy under the sun and outright abuse, and occasionally a rational debate breaks the surface for a few minutes.  :demon:

OK, so I might be exaggerating for comic effect, but the last time I looked, it seemed to be Clinic regulars accounting for the vast majority of suspensions and bans issued by the moderators for the entire forum. Which gives some indication of the quality of debate in there. If the mods and admin get any renumeration over what they are paid for their regular work for CN, it is nowhere near enough.

Not to be confused with Cycling Weekly, which, as you may be aware, is otherwise known as The Comic.  ;)

Hope this helps.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #112 on: 04 July, 2018, 12:22:49 pm »
How absurd. Are you saying that their "Racing" forum is about racing??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #113 on: 04 July, 2018, 12:35:36 pm »
How absurd. Are you saying that their "Racing" forum is about racing??

;D

Strange as it may seem, that would appear to be their intent.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #114 on: 04 July, 2018, 12:50:49 pm »
@ Spesh

Thanks, I wasn't aware.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #115 on: 04 July, 2018, 08:02:49 pm »
Don't be tempted to visit The Clinic.  Is a strange and sad space.  I did once visit and still shudder with the flashbacks.

« Reply #116 on: 04 July, 2018, 08:20:31 pm »
If you could filter out the 95% shite, the Clinic would be amazing. Spesh has it about right. Most of the posters are idiots (or trolls looking to bait hapless and naive Sky fans) but there are a few very well informed posters. Unfortunately there is so much bizarre cultish behaviour on there that it is pretty much pointless, unless you want to be a part of the cult.  The base belief,that Sky are full of shit, is pretty much spot on, however.

Anyway, 3 days to go. I'm going to be bloody away for the final week  :facepalm:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #117 on: 05 July, 2018, 12:08:54 am »
link

So, I go to that website.

It presents me with one of the current "GET OUR COOKIES THEY ARE SO IMPORTANT TO YOU" thing. I go to say no, thanks. And I cannot scroll to the bottom where the Send button is.

So I have no idea what that webpage is saying.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #118 on: 05 July, 2018, 12:10:47 am »
The Clinic?  The Comic?

The Clinic is a sub-board on the Cycling News forum where doping issues are to be debated instead of clogging up the racing-related threads. From observation, it is a morass of conspiracy theorising, every debating fallacy under the sun and outright abuse, and occasionally a rational debate breaks the surface for a few minutes.  :demon:

OK, so I might be exaggerating for comic effect, but the last time I looked, it seemed to be Clinic regulars accounting for the vast majority of suspensions and bans issued by the moderators for the entire forum. Which gives some indication of the quality of debate in there. If the mods and admin get any renumeration over what they are paid for their regular work for CN, it is nowhere near enough.

Not to be confused with Cycling Weakly, which, as you may be aware, is otherwise known as The Comic.  ;)

Hope this helps.

I understood that Cycling Weakly majored on stories about cyclists that do not dope.
It is simpler than it looks.

Nick H.

« Reply #119 on: 05 July, 2018, 01:13:56 pm »
I don't enjoy watching Froome, but at least there's Cav. How many sprint finishes will there be this year?

« Reply #120 on: 05 July, 2018, 01:21:25 pm »
None for him, I suspect

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #121 on: 05 July, 2018, 02:13:32 pm »
Yeah, sadly I think we've seen it from Mr C.  I'll be mildly surprised if Kittel does much either.  Gaviria will hopefully be this year's man.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #122 on: 05 July, 2018, 08:13:31 pm »
None for him, I suspect
Alas; I think you're probably right, but one lives in hope.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #123 on: 06 July, 2018, 03:02:54 pm »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #124 on: 06 July, 2018, 04:22:14 pm »
The Times had quite a witty headline for their TdeF preview article.

Will Froome take the Fifth?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles