Author Topic: Burnham to Burnham (was Route assistance Oxon, Herts, Essex)  (Read 2012 times)

shineymart

• Brun beer drinker
    • Chessels
Burnham to Burnham (was Route assistance Oxon, Herts, Essex)
« on: 25 January, 2023, 05:55:29 pm »
Hi all

I'm planning a ride this spring in several parts and would appreciate some cycling friendly route assistance as follows:

#1 Wantage, Oxfordshire to Aldenham (nr Watford), Herts

#2 Aldenham to Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I don't know these areas at all, so have no idea what to avoid or which routes are interesting. I'll be riding a road bike with minimal luggage, disc brakes and 30mm tyres, rather than a gravel bike, so gnarly tracks are out although light trails could work..... ideally 'B' and minor roads.

Thanks in advance to anyone out there who can help.

Regards
Martyn Shiner
Audax Membership number 12813
--
Regards
Martyn Shiner

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Route assistance Oxon, Herts, Essex
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2023, 06:28:28 pm »
You could patch together the M25 orbital route to get you from Aldenham with some of the Kingdom Of East Saxons or similar to get to BonC. 

Happy to look over the Essex bit for you.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2023, 06:47:55 pm »
Here’s the London Orbital audax 300 route from 2018.  I tweaked it slightly but passes close to Aldenham and will get you across into Essex.  Note it goes anti clockwise so you’ll need to reverse any tracks you snip out if it.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28255040

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2023, 07:59:32 pm »
It's been a few years since I last used this route, but here's a link from Harefield near Watford to Cardiff, which goes through Wantage, so just reverse the route to use that section.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2767859
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2023, 08:08:46 pm »
Aldenham via 'nice' roads is a little tricky as it is around such busy areas. My suggestion would be to stay north of the Chilterns to around Tring (where I am) then head south to Aldenham.
Something like - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41863939

Using part of a London Orbital is a good idea. This is our DIY version from 2016 which passes close to Aldenham. Part of this would get you a good chunk of the way to Burnham on Crouch. The roads are generally fine as long as you avoid commuter times. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12209029

I can recommend a few cafes as well if needed!

shineymart

• Brun beer drinker
    • Chessels
« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2023, 08:24:24 am »
Guys

Thank you so much - really, really helpful.

I'll parse the suggestions over the weekend and then maybe put my routes back up for comments.

Regards
Martyn Shiner
--
Regards
Martyn Shiner

shineymart

• Brun beer drinker
    • Chessels
Re: Burnham to Burnham (was Route assistance Oxon, Herts, Essex)
« Reply #6 on: 29 January, 2024, 09:07:18 pm »
Chaps

"Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman"

One year on and the 'tour' never happened as my Father in Law had several falls last year and became quite poorly - quite rightly other things sometimes get in the way of my plans. Thanks to all those that replied to my earlier post for your comments and suggestions.

Anyway, I've morphed the challenged into something different - a "Burnham to Burnham" West to East 400km. Starts in my hometown of Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset and ends in Burnham-on-Crouch in Essex - the tentative route is here. Not yet finished as its 100 metres short (!!) and will need 'finessing' to get a rest stop in. But the bones are there.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45456326

I'm pretty confident the route up to about 250km 'works' but from there it gets sketchy as I've never ridden in that part of the world.

If anyone has any comments, particularly around coffee stops and a possible rest stop, comments would be very welcome.
--
Regards
Martyn Shiner

« Reply #7 on: 29 January, 2024, 10:00:17 pm »
I notice your route entering Essex has a long stint on the A1060. This really isn't a pleasant road to cycle on these days! You're far better off wriggling around the back roads south of it....

Edit: It's OK in small doses, just not all in one hit like that!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #8 on: 29 January, 2024, 10:00:24 pm »
Sounds fun!

The NCN6 around Dunstable-Luton is surprisingly usable for NCN - it's an old railway turned into a busway with a cycle path alongside. Pleasant, mostly car free and junction free. Ending up in Luton isn't a winner though. The way you've got through Streatley and Lilley is nice.

I would personally avoid that much of the A1060 towards Chelmsford - it's too busy for my liking, I'd probably go north of the river there. I really like the roughly parallel road through Shellow Bowells, but probably mostly because it's a funny name. No doubt team Essex will have better route ideas round the Rodings!

« Reply #9 on: 29 January, 2024, 10:19:02 pm »
From Winslow 147 miles I’d go via Swanbourne, post office there has seating for coffee and a pastry. Then via Stewkley, Great and Little Brickhill to Woburn.  Then go through Woburn deer park, Tingrith, Harlington then Sundon or Sharpenhoe Clappers to Streately to join your existing routing. You’ll like Lilley Bottom, lovely bit of road. Lots of Red Kites about.

Emily’s in Whitwell at 182 miles is a lovely cafe and also bike mechanic there, or Spokes another cafe and bike place, Codicote at 186 miles. 189 miles Woolmer Green, I’d continue on to Datchworth Green (another cafe there) then turn right for Bulls Green. Nothing wrong with existing lane in your route, just it is narrow slightly uphill (the way you’re going) and the winter has not (and still isn’t!) been kind to it. I usually go the other way, if I use that lane. 194 miles, Stapleford, I go right and immediate left, continue till you hit t junction then left on Sacombe road. Road in better condition and heath you pass nice stop for picnic. Plus easier navigation.

« Reply #10 on: 29 January, 2024, 11:43:21 pm »
I notice your route entering Essex has a long stint on the A1060. This really isn't a pleasant road to cycle on these days! You're far better off wriggling around the back roads south of it....

Edit: It's OK in small doses, just not all in one hit like that!

This.  Long stretches on the A1060 are best avoided at busy times if you want a stress free trip.  The lanes to the north or south of the A1060 are equally good.  Food stops wise, you have choices on this section if it’s daytime but not a lot if it’s not.  There is a tea shop, a chip shop and a co-op in Hatfield Heath, a cafe at Brett’s Farm shop / garden centre in White Roding or The Snug cafe just east of High Easter.  Also several options in Writtle which is just south of the A1060. Late opening options may be restricted to the co-op mentioned above outside of the bigger towns, there aren’t even any pubs between Hatfield Heath and Chelmsford outskirts on your route.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #11 on: 30 January, 2024, 12:07:53 pm »
I started thinking about something like this, then got distracted.  But ..
You're missing Burnham Deepdale etc in Norfolk.  There are audax routes using both that could be pillaged to get you from one to the other.  though do consider the time of day the audaxes are run as to whether the route will work for your time of day.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

shineymart

• Brun beer drinker
    • Chessels
« Reply #12 on: 30 January, 2024, 03:36:41 pm »
Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Great comments and suggestions - very very helpful indeed.

I'm going to amend the route and then re post when I have something a bit nicer.

--
Regards
Martyn Shiner

shineymart

• Brun beer drinker
    • Chessels
« Reply #13 on: 30 January, 2024, 03:37:49 pm »
I started thinking about something like this, then got distracted.  But ..
You're missing Burnham Deepdale etc in Norfolk.  There are audax routes using both that could be pillaged to get you from one to the other.  though do consider the time of day the audaxes are run as to whether the route will work for your time of day.

Yes, there's also Burnham Beeches in Bershire. Maybe for another challenge
--
Regards
Martyn Shiner

« Reply #14 on: 30 January, 2024, 04:40:08 pm »
Forgot to add you’ll find HS2 near Verney junction.  Though God knows which road will be shut or diverted.  I’ve been down every diversion in the past 3 or 4 years. In theory they’ve stopped but who knows the truth…

« Reply #15 on: 30 January, 2024, 07:35:38 pm »
Shiney do let people know a date in case can join you especially if later in year as I'll be on shifts so more likely to be about foe a random midweek day

Edit I mean towards the end as near to Chelmsford

shineymart

• Brun beer drinker
    • Chessels
« Reply #16 on: 30 January, 2024, 09:34:19 pm »
Chaps

Have edited - now at 407km - looks good apart from I'm not sure on the route through Chelmsford - RWGPS has a habit of picking unsuitable routes. If anyone knows a better way through/around I'd be grateful for alternatives.
--
Regards
Martyn Shiner

shineymart

• Brun beer drinker
    • Chessels
« Reply #17 on: 30 January, 2024, 09:35:26 pm »
Shiney do let people know a date in case can join you especially if later in year as I'll be on shifts so more likely to be about foe a random midweek day

Of course - be good to have some company on the final stretch.
--
Regards
Martyn Shiner

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #18 on: 31 January, 2024, 09:01:20 am »

Of course - be good to have some company on the final stretch.

There's a load of works going on around Springfield Lock at 374km, one of the bridge is no longer there (at the moment) and being replaced plus a load of house building. There is diversion routes in place and it is very prone to flooding, there's a better route by going straight on to the Army &Navy RBT via Kings Head Walk / Baddow Road car park and heading along the A138 (large cycle path) to rejoin your route at Chelmer Road RBT.

Wiggle on Chelmer Village Way not required @376km - just follow the cycle path along the road (or use the road, depends on time of day)

I don't know what time you'll be through Chelmsford, but there are a few bike locking friendly cafes along the way, Recess is favoured by the local CTC and has a good railing opps it for locking to. (Barrack Square / Moulsham Street)

If you don't need to go through Chelmsford centre you can carry on along Writtle Road, Elm Road, Finchley, Moulsham Drive, Lady Lane, then pick up Princess Rd - cycle path down to RBT and 3 stage crossing Dont use the A&N RBT!  Alternatively, I can give you a route that goes straight through from Writtle Road to Sandon (saves 2km)   https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45475795
Regards,

Joergen

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #19 on: 31 January, 2024, 09:37:51 am »
Your section round Oxford (Witney - Ambrosden) looks fine; I've done most of those roads on various rides, although not joined up.