Author Topic: Connecting Lenovo Tab 3 to Etrex 20  (Read 2040 times)

Connecting Lenovo Tab 3 to Etrex 20
« on: 23 September, 2017, 10:34:48 am »
Anyone had any joy?

I have the Lenovo Tab3 7 inch which I got to use on tour.

It is supposed to be OTG compatible.

I have connected my ageing Samsung tab to the Garmin using the Garmin cable and an OTG lead to the tab. Garmin in USB mass storage mode.

Works fine.

Have also connected a wired mouse to the Lenovo via the OTG lead.

But cannot get the Garmin to be seen as a USB device - or so infrequently that it is not worth it.

Instead the Garmin boots up into its normal map display when plugged in switched off into the tab.

So it is clearly taking power from the tab via the USB link.

I have always understood that when doing this one should have the tab switched on and the Garmin switched off, allowing it to boot from the tab power and be seen.

On a whim I did try making the connection with both units off and then switching the tab onto itself boot.

2 times out of 2 this did successfully kick the Garmin into USB mass storage mode.

But both times a thermal warning popped up on the tab and it had to be switched off.

This may just be because of my excessive tinkering over some time this morning rather than any objection to those two times connections.

Any of this mean anything to anyone on here?

Anyone had any success?

Re: Connecting Lenovo Tab 3 to Etrex 20
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2017, 05:09:44 pm »
You can change, in the e20 settings , to mass storage device.. perhaps that might work

« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2017, 05:12:24 pm »
Ops is see you have tried this.  There may be a way of forcing the unit to be recognised.. I have to do this sometimes on my Garmin 500 on an older mac

« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2017, 05:53:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply anyway gaggia.

I tried the dodge again on tour the other week of firing up the tab to boot with the etrex20 already connected.

Got the same result.

Success at the etrex going to mass storage but then almost straight away the tab telling me to switch it off because of a thermal overload problem.

What is the technique you use for forcing recognition?

Other suggestions welcome.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2017, 05:55:34 pm »
Sounds like the tab doesn't like supplying power to the eTrex.  I'd try a USB hub, but that's not really a portable solution.

« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2017, 06:00:33 pm »
Thanks for the reply kim, even if it isn't hopeful.

Does this mean my tab is lacking/underspecced in some way or is "just one of those things".

Tis damn frustrating as i had pretty much sorted a way of doing day gpx routes on tour with little or no internet needed, no need for windows,  compact kit not needing a conventional keyboard or much in the way of power.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2017, 06:07:09 pm »
I'm not sure what the USB OTG specification has to say about power.  Obviously it needs to provide some power to make HIDs and flash storage and so on work, but an eTrex is going to pull a bit more than that.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 100mA limit or something.

You could use a card reader to mount the MicroSD card from the eTrex?  Or insert it into the tab directly, if it has a MicroSD slot.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2017, 06:09:48 pm »
You could try a USB OTB cable, with a connection for an additional power supply. Then connect that to a battery pack.
eg https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/usb-3-0-otg-cable-with-usb-power-0-5m-p8472/s8624

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2017, 06:10:43 pm »
You could try a USB OTB cable, with a connection for an additional power supply. Then connect that to a battery pack.
eg https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/usb-3-0-otg-cable-with-usb-power-0-5m-p8472/s8624

Ah, that's a nice solution.  My next suggestion would be to bodge something like that up.

« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2017, 06:17:30 pm »
Thanks folks!

Yes kim i had thought of taking out the etrex card, fiddle though it is. I already haveva usb card reader. Thanks for your ideas.

Fuaran. You may have sorted things. Could connect that to my anker powerbank.