Author Topic: Forward Thinking  (Read 8887 times)

rae

Forward Thinking
« on: 03 November, 2008, 06:14:19 pm »
One of our tasks this weekend was to build a bonfire for next weekend.  So on Sunday, I got the Series III out of the garage and we (2 little helpers aged 6 and 3 as well as myself) drove round the garden picking up all of the waste wood that the previous owner had left lying about.   I’d already scavenged everything that was good firewood – this was all of the rotten stuff as well as chipboard and the like.   We built the fire in the field, covered it with a few fence panels and rewarded ourselves with a packet of jaffa cakes. 

I remembered that we had seen some big lumps of wood at the top of the field which had looked like oak, so I decided to go and fetch them – there is nothing small boys like more than being driven across a field in a roof less Land-Rover.   We arrived at the right place, and set to work clearing some scrub so that we could get to the rounds of wood.   They were indeed oak, and had been down for perhaps 15 years – so not in the best of condition, but still perfectly good firewood.  The eldest stood on one of the rounds and shrieked that he could see the stump, and it was huuuge.  So I hacked a bit more brash down, and indeed the stump, and a very large part of the trunk remained.   It was one of the field boundary trees, and must have been blown over some time in the 90s.  They’d cleared the brash and left the split section of the trunk behind – a piece of wood about 25 feet long and about 3 feet wide.   Firewood bonanza!   I did think about turning it into planks, but it was too badly damaged. 

With a child thrilling combination of winches and big chainsaws (they watched from the tail gate of the Land-Rover, consuming yet more jaffa cakes), the trunk was extracted and turned into 9” slabs, ready for splitting.   

“How old was it daddy?” the eldest asked. 

So we sat down and counted the rings.   175 years when it fell over (give or take a few).

“How long is that daddy?”

“Well, it is rather a long time.   If you had children, and then they had children, those children would be able to see a tree as big as this when they were really old.  They would be your grandchildren”.

As I said it, I realised that we were potentially going to get on to a meaningful discussion about death and/or sex which I really wasn’t up for at this stage.   Thankfully we were interrupted by the youngest who was rapidly learning about stinging nettles.  That little fellow leads a hard life: it was "All you need to know about wasps" last week-end.   

We fetched the trailer and loaded all of the wood, cleared the brash into a pile (more burning for next weekend), and drove home down the edge of the field.   Now that I was looking for oak trees, I could see very clearly where the field boundary trees were missing.  I pointed this out to the boys.   The eldest was pensive. 

“Can we plant some more daddy?” 

“Yes, I suppose we can”

“That’s good, I’d like to plant them for my chil…um, grandchildren”

Ouch.  Nothing to make you feel more mortal than a 6 year old planning his legacy to his grandchildren.   He doesn’t know it yet, but I’m going to cheat.   Rather than planting haycorns (as Eeyore would say), I’m going to drop in some 30 year old trees with a digger.  That will at least give me something to look at, and the children will love the digger. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Forward Thinking
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2008, 06:37:31 pm »
Maybe he should plant a few haycorns so he can see them grow too.
My 44 year old child partner loves watching things grow from seed.

« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:11:31 am »
Top tale.

<Goes to look for landrovers and another chainsaw on ebay>
Stropping rocks

« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2008, 05:01:57 pm »
Top tale.

<Goes to look for landrovers and another chainsaw on ebay>

That's the easy bit it's getting the several acres that's hard. Nice story Rae, will you be my Dad please I like riding in old Landies too ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2008, 05:10:07 pm »
My horse chestnut would be 43 years old now if Dad hadn't cut it down because it might have destroyed the neighbour's shed.  >:(
It is simpler than it looks.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2008, 05:28:30 pm »
I've got mine into enjoying the whole logs thing, but he's going through a phase of being very afraid of loud things.

Drilling into masonry classifies as loud. The chainsaw is not an option with him around.

I don't think being afraid of loud things is a bad thing for a two year old.

I did enjoy your tale.

rae

« Reply #6 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:30:21 pm »
Ear defenders are the answer to a fear of loud things - not a bad discipline to get them into, and they feel all proud because it is "grown-up".  They don't fit little heads all that well, so I make sure that they are at a considerable distance without any big sound reflectors near them. 

Nice story Rae, will you be my Dad please I like riding in old Landies too ? 

I'll take some photos this weekend!   ;D

Blah

« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2008, 06:18:08 pm »
I've been meaning to ask you what you do about splitting Rae.

I've got a Screwfix splitting maul that's really not that good. I'd quite like a proper axe with a heavy head that's made by a craftsman. Any tips?

rae

« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2008, 10:36:02 pm »
I've just got a £17.99 cheapie splitting axe - the only identification it has on it is "American Hickory" burnt into the wood.   Works for me - and if the wood resists (e.g. knots and branches) then I deploy the saw without hesitation. 

Gransfors axes have a good rep on the, ahem, special interest site I occasionally hang out on.   Not cheap - but they look good. 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 10 November, 2008, 06:52:40 am »
My parents have some amazingly old and huge oaks in their garden.  I think they all have TP orders on them.  The roof of the house had to have RSJs instead of normal wooden joists, in case the oak which partially overhangs it decides to shed a branch  :o
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 10 November, 2008, 07:58:04 am »
...I don't think being afraid of loud things is a bad thing for a two year old.

I did enjoy your tale.

I enjoyed the story as well, humbling, but quite amusing in places, out of the mouths of babes etc!

I wish my ten year old cat was a bit more leery of noisy things.  When I was drilling the wall for his cat flap with a hammer drill, he just ambled by totally ignoring it.  Since I've got a railway line out the back, and I'm sure he'll work out how to get there, this is a bit worrying.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Blah

« Reply #11 on: 10 November, 2008, 09:40:30 am »
Gransfors axes have a good rep on the, ahem, special interest site I occasionally hang out on.   Not cheap - but they look good. 

They do look good. Would you mind PM'ing me your special interest site's URL ;-)

rae

« Reply #12 on: 10 November, 2008, 01:38:56 pm »
Check this baby out:

KIRVES: Heikki Vipukirves

I'm loving the video....mad Finnish bloke beating the crap out of a piece of wood. 

Blah

« Reply #13 on: 10 November, 2008, 02:44:38 pm »
Pretty ugly thing though if you ask me.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2008, 08:00:57 pm »
Pretty ugly thing though if you ask me.

perchance but the function appears to more thanmake up for the form.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2008, 09:19:59 pm »
Nice story Rae, will you be my Dad please I like riding in old Landies too ?

I've picked up on this from POTD.  However, I do not think I want Rae as my dad - even though he is an excellent story teller.

Thankfully we were interrupted by the youngest who was rapidly learning about stinging nettles

He appears to be glad for stinging nettles attacking his youngest.   :demon:

Blah

« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2008, 09:22:46 pm »
perchance but the function appears to more than make up for the form.

We seem to disagree on a couple of things recently ;-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2008, 10:55:05 pm »
I'm very interested in you dropping 30 year old oak trees into prepared holes. How big is a 30 year old oak? And how much does it cost?

When the Southend Borough Council were really gung-ho about building a road which would have done for about 130 mature trees, mostly beech and oak, they promised not only "2 trees for 1" as replacements but also the delivery of "semi-mature trees". which turned out to be <10' horse chestnut saplings.

Fortunately sanity has prevailed and central govt. has never supplied them with the money required for road building.

I'm with Hellimedic on the sowing of seeds. Nothing like delayed gratification to teach children staying power. 175 years should just about do.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rae

« Reply #18 on: 14 November, 2008, 02:31:33 pm »
A 30 year old oak is something like 20 cm across the trunk, and they cost about 500 quid when I last looked.   It costs quite a bit more to transport them and get the holes dug. 

Transplanting something this size is pretty high risk - I wouldn't like to try anything bigger...

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #19 on: 14 November, 2008, 02:54:21 pm »
I've been meaning to ask you what you do about splitting Rae.

I've got a Screwfix splitting maul that's really not that good. I'd quite like a proper axe with a heavy head that's made by a craftsman. Any tips?

A splitting wedge and a big 'ammer does for me ;D.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #20 on: 14 November, 2008, 02:59:08 pm »
Ear defenders are the answer to a fear of loud things . . .
I Borrowed a chainsaw earlier in the year, loved it! Found it very therapeutic and empowing.  The ear defenders helped to keep the noise of the chainsaw down but had no effect on the voices.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #21 on: 14 November, 2008, 03:00:47 pm »
Ear defenders are the answer to a fear of loud things . . .
I Borrowed a chainsaw earlier in the year, loved it! Found it very therapeutic and empowing.  The ear defenders helped to keep the noise of the chainsaw down but had no effect on the voices.

Well dur... that 'coz they're in your head.

I recommend therapy.

;D ;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

rae

« Reply #22 on: 01 December, 2008, 03:25:30 pm »
Axe Review

It was a sign from $deity.   About 2 weeks after starting this thread, I smashed my cheap axe with a mis-hit.   I was tired after a lot of splitting, and missed a piece of wood by about 4 inches, taking the head clean over the log – a shattered shaft was inevitable.

RIP cheap axe, I’ll keep an eye out for a new handle. 

What an opportunity!  Time go go beserk with the credit card, and get some decent axes in.   I had in mind a proper splitting maul, and I was intrigued by the lever axe I found upthread.   I also wanted a small firewood axe – the eldest demands to “have a go” with the big axe, and even with me holding, the whole affair is pretty dangerous.  If there was something a bit smaller, I’d have a small splitting axe, and he could have something for supervised practice. 

So what arrived:

From back to front:

Heikki Vipurkives, lever axe.   Fibreglass handle, with a big protective ring around the shaft at the blade end.   As per the video upthread, this axe is designed to twist as it hits the wood, thus shattering a piece outwards.   It isn’t that heavy – in fact, not a lot heavier than the small axe at the front. 

Gransfors Bruks, Hammer-Poll.  A big splitting maul, with a hardened poll for hammering wedges.   Hickory handle with a linseed/beeswax coating, and a rough section at the hand hold for extra grip.  There is a steel collar at the tip, which protects the shaft from the worst of the miss-hits.   The blade was hand-forged by a chap called Rune Andersson (his initials are stamped in it), and it is a good weight. 

Gransfors Bruks, Small Splitting Axe.   For an adult, this is a one handed splitting axe, for a child this is a full size implement.   I’m using it for splitting chunks that are a bit too big to go in the stove…as well as training the next generation of splitters who will keep me warm when I am old and crumbly.   This one was made by Ulrik Nilsson.

It was fortuitous that an acquaintance was taking down a large redwood.  If anyone needs confirmation of why Land-Rovers are cool, this picture sums it up for me.   Try getting that lot into the back of an estate car. 

Right, so how did they perform?   

First up, the lever axe.  This is a highly tuned tool, for one purpose only – demolishing a round of reasonably straight grained wood in as little time as possible.   As per the video on their site, you walk round the wood, taking bites off it as you go, and it works, brilliantly.   The main difference is that you are not constantly picking up wood – with a normal axe, you split the round into two, pick one bit up, split that again, pick the bits up, split them again…repeat until done.    With the lever axe, you just take chunks off.   No picking up until all of the firewood is split.  It takes a bit of getting used to – just belting the wood in the normal way doesn’t really work, allowing the axe to twist is step one, step two is giving the axe a little twist as it hits.  The latter technique is amazingly powerful as the fragments fly off at immense speed.    This axe won’t bust big rounds clean in half, it won’t deal with gnarly rounds, it just makes firewood, and quickly.  Now, 190 euros is a shed load of money for an axe, but it is probably worth it.   After some epic splitting yesterday, my back doesn’t hurt – I’ve probably saved bending over about 300 times….

You start with something like this:

This is about 2/3 of the way though the process:

Secondly, the Hammer-Poll.  In use, this is a common or garden splitting axe.   Line up the round, and belt it, round splits.   I know that Redwood is easy splitting, but this axe was pretty much unstoppable though branches and knots.   Most manufacturers load up the weight – Gransfors don’t do that, preferring to rely on velocity, and I think they are right.  During the course of a lot of splitting, I didn’t get a single “sore hand” incident when the handle rings in your hand after hitting something hard.  I have no idea if this is head or shaft design, or fluke, but it is welcome.   Now, at £70, is this three times as good as a screwfix special?   Impossible to say.   I think there is something in the design – lighter, more tuned for the job, but the screwfix special is also an effective tool.  It’s a bit like expensive spanners – a snap-on 13 mm spanner at £35 is just as effective as a teng-tools one at £1.50 – but I know which one I prefer to use. 

Finally, the small splitting axe.  This is a pretty unique tool.  You can buy splitting axes, you can buy hatchets, but you can’t usually buy a hatchet sized splitter.   For one handed splitting of something that is “large firewood”, it is perfect.   For teaching a 6 year old to use an axe, it is also perfect.   Again, a nice bit of kit, and worth the money.

If I had to choose one, it would be the Hammer-Poll – only because this is the universal tool.  You can split anything with this, the others are rather more specialized.   It would appear that like chainsaws and bikes, the correct number of axes is n+1.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23 on: 01 December, 2008, 06:11:44 pm »
But what are they like for putting through panelled doors and screaming American high school students?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rae

« Reply #24 on: 01 December, 2008, 06:16:01 pm »
I think I'd choose one of these for convincing people that I was a complete nutter:

Gr&auml;nsfors Bruks AB - Double-bit Axe / Double-bit Throwing Axe