Author Topic: I could have commuted in today but...  (Read 98745 times)

Re: I could have commuted in today but...
« Reply #525 on: 09 March, 2016, 09:16:58 am »
Have you seen it out there!!!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

simonp

« Reply #526 on: 09 March, 2016, 01:16:19 pm »
Tell me about it. Blown all over the place on the motorbike today.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #527 on: 22 March, 2016, 09:32:03 am »
I decided to stay out of the way of the police executing a drugs raid on the flat over the road :o

By the time they finished and were taking off their body armour it was a bit late so I drove to work.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #528 on: 15 April, 2016, 07:46:31 pm »
Sold my number 3 road bike to a colleague, didn't think I could carry a bike on a bike and didn't want to walk home either.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #529 on: 19 April, 2016, 07:49:38 am »
Lots of knee pain so taking the week off, sigh

« Reply #530 on: 22 April, 2016, 09:21:26 am »
I'm following the sage teachings of fboab and helly and not going for a full house when I have audacious* plans for the weekend. I'm still perplexed as to how people put up with the train every day.

* for a very limited value

« Reply #531 on: 25 April, 2016, 09:28:33 am »
Oasts and Coasts cleaned me out so no commuting this week as I am flying to Mallorca on Wednesday for teh 312 so best be in tip top condition for that race fun looking closed road sportive :D

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #532 on: 29 April, 2016, 07:06:38 pm »
I actually did.  But then, about 5 hours after I was s'posed to leave, someone on their way out the door offered me a lift home....

"Thank you, but I've got the bike here,"
"That's OK - I've got the big car today... we can see if it fits if you want?"

Dear Reader, I am weak.  But also have warm-ish feet right now.

« Reply #533 on: 13 May, 2016, 11:41:56 pm »
I didn't realise 'til too late that today's shift started an hour earlier than yesterday's.
Ordinarily, I would still have had time to ride in but I needed to sit down with the planner to sort out my new shift rota so car it was.
Shame; it was a lovely afternoon and I finished quite early.
Lesson learned.

« Reply #534 on: 15 June, 2016, 06:31:39 pm »
(Actually about tomorrow, but...)

I had to take an insurance form into the vets' today and the vet who is currently caring for our elderly mog came up to me to apologise that the two samples she'd taken yesterday had been mixed up. The blood one had been sorted but could we get another urine sample.
Sigh. So I'd better drive in tomorrow. There's nowhere to lock a bike at the vets' and I'm not sure I want to be carrying bio-hazards (tom cat!) on the bike anyway.

It was only after I'd got back to work that I remembered I'm also collecting half a sheep and a quarter pig for the freezer tomorrow as well. They'd not quite fit in the pannier.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #535 on: 11 July, 2016, 08:27:14 am »
On Friday, leaving the building already quite late in the evening, I unexpectedly found a flat in the Marathon Plus rear tyre.

After the inevitable faff of changing that, the track pump there was generally buggered (which isn't unusual) and not feeling like pumping the tyre up with the minipump, I used a CO2 cartridge.

<Bang>

At that point, I'd had enough, and went back indoors, washed all the grime off of my hands, got changed, and took the tube and tram home.

So, this morning I have to do the reverse, with several spare tyres, so I should have enough to repair the tyre, after attempting to discern why that last inner tube didn't survive.

It's the first time I've avoided cycling this year, so I don't feel too guilty!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #536 on: 11 July, 2016, 04:16:26 pm »
<Bang> ... with several spare tyres, so I should have enough to repair the tyre, after attempting to discern why that last inner tube didn't survive. ...

So, after another <Bang> I eventually found a just over 1cm slit in the sidewall.

Luckily I ordered some new tyres yesterday, so they ought to be here tomorrow, or Thursday if I'm unlucky.

Another day of public transport . . .
Actually, it is rocket science.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #537 on: 16 July, 2016, 01:16:01 pm »
I was heading into That London for a client meeting, could have ridden to the station I suppose, but didn't think of it until too late.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #538 on: 19 July, 2016, 08:24:33 am »
… but I done my hamstring muscle in on the Saturday morning run. So no cycling yesterday either. Twas an electric shock feeling, and felt like somebody had punched me in the back of the leg. I can weight-bear, but is a wee bit sore.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Riggers

« Reply #539 on: 20 July, 2016, 01:54:11 pm »
So. Have given the leg another day's rest not cycling, and it was like, really like, a pain, having to walk passed all the like, schools kids who, like, say like every other word, because I guess, they like the word like. So, erm, what's wrong with er … erm? And I don't like sentences beginning with 'so', either!!

Should have put this is Rant!!!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #540 on: 20 July, 2016, 03:02:09 pm »
Thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening me! 

Was going to be walking about in it, so didn't want to have to cycle in and home from work in it as well....   ::-)

« Reply #541 on: 17 August, 2016, 11:13:20 pm »
... I cut myself shaving. Just a small nick below my nose but it took me several hours to stop it bleeding and there wasn't then time to ride in (and I probably wouldn't have risked it in case I set it off again).
I'm really pissed off since it was a nice day and I was all set for 5 consecutive commutes.

« Reply #542 on: 29 September, 2016, 10:30:42 am »
MrsC booked a Tesco delivery between 1.00 and 2.00pm today. Then she remembered she was going out for lunch with colleagues.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #543 on: 21 November, 2016, 06:25:02 pm »
Had some boxes of Internet Deliveries to bring home today, so I took the car.

Seeing the hard frost, I wasn't too sad.  The car was showing between -5 and -6 most of the way in, and I don't think it warmed up above zero all day.

« Reply #544 on: 21 November, 2016, 06:57:58 pm »
I wimped out due to the wind and rain.
Glad I did. Those members of this community with very long memories may recall a tale of me going swimming whilst on the bike more than a decade ago.
Same bit of road. Water completely across it. Same on the way home so I'll not be riding tomorrow either.

Riggers

« Reply #545 on: 22 November, 2016, 10:40:56 am »
Mountain bike – my everyday steed – is borked. So much so, it needs a new chain, chainring, rear block, jockey wheels. I have walked in the last couple of days, and didn't cycle over the weekend either.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #546 on: 22 November, 2016, 03:02:20 pm »
I phoned in sick instead.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #547 on: 22 November, 2016, 04:10:51 pm »
I've been driving to work for several weeks as I'm not allowed to ride outside or even pedal for long enough for me to get to work. The public transport alternative would require me to stand up for 1.5hr each way and I can't do that yet, let alone walk the quarter hour needed at each end. I can't imagine how people commute by car every day. It is just horrible, more than three hours a day lost in a metal box.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #548 on: 25 November, 2016, 04:07:02 pm »
It was easier to work from home, but that turned out to be a bad decision (hindsight is a wonderful thing!)

« Reply #549 on: 25 November, 2016, 04:49:12 pm »
The ice bike isn't confirmed fit yet. Since last week's skid I'm taking no chances.