Author Topic: Cables and a solution.  (Read 3946 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Cables and a solution.
« on: 18 April, 2008, 04:22:23 pm »
I had the misfortune of having my rear mech cable snap on me. I was at the bottom of the ride home from work, about a mile of mostly uphill.

Trying to locate a new rear gear cable that would fit has been problematic. I could order from an online supplier but then I would have to spend some time waiting for it, and need to keep a spare in case it breaks again.

So I was thinking about obtaining a device that would allow two normal length cables to be used, so when I need to swap the cables it is a lot easier to obtain replacements.

The answer comes from cable splitters for folding bikes.. I now have cable splitters on order and will be using those in future with standard gear and brake cables.

I'll let you know how I get on.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Re: Cables and a solution.
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2008, 08:27:08 am »
Hi David,

This is how it is done on tandems with couplings too.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2008, 06:47:42 pm »
Can we see a picture of such a cable splitter?

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:14:07 am »
Can we see a picture of such a cable splitter?

The section shown at the top is a colar through which an ordinay cable is threaded.  The section below is fixed to an un-terminated cable end by way of an allen bolt.  The two sections then screw together.

We've used these a couple of times lately as the new steed travels indoors and I've been quite impressed so far...

AC

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2008, 12:19:15 am »
<life of Brian>

Splitters!

</life of Brian>

Si

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2008, 12:28:34 pm »
BODGE ALERT!

those little plastic jobbies with two screws in them for connecting electrical wires together.  OK, not ideal if you want to split a lot but if you are knocking togesther long runs of cable from short bits then they work great (assuming that you have lengths of un-outered cable).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2008, 06:08:52 pm »
We have these on our tandem, on for the back brake and two more for the gear cables (Rohloffs have two cables).

We broke a cable at the splitter in Orton, on our way to Carlisle on LEJOG. I was still able to change gear, in one direction by using the twist grip in the normal way, in the other by grabbing the loose end and giving it a tug. When we got to Penrith, Aragon's excellent bike shop fitted a new one for us.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2008, 10:29:43 pm »
As fitted to my father's Moulton APB so that it can split at the king pin.

Matthew

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2008, 04:33:14 pm »
Hi David,

AC

Are these splitters available online?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2008, 05:33:34 pm »
Hi David,

AC

I'd be surprised if SJS don't do them, since they fit them to every S & S coupled tandem they sell.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bikenerd

« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2008, 05:38:10 pm »
Biketrax (Edinburgh) do the official Moulton ones.
Which reminds me: I need to buy another before I set up the front derailleur as I left one attached at only one end.  The other end went bouncing down the road :(

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:03:45 pm »
Hi David,

AC

We got ours from J&D in Ilkley (http://www.jdcycles.co.uk).  There isn't much in the way of componentry on their site, but it might be worth giving them a bell, as they are one of the most helpful bike shop I've had dealings with (no connection, just a satisfied customer).

AC