Author Topic: SD card gone into read-only mode  (Read 2721 times)

SD card gone into read-only mode
« on: 11 April, 2017, 10:26:26 am »
Card is Samsung 32GB micro SD and has been used in a Samsung phone. When the phone said the card was faulty, I put the card into my computer to check.

I get the following if I try to create or delete a file:

Unable to create the file 'New Text Document.txt'
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Unable to create the file 'New Text Document.txt'
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Cannot delete xyz: Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

I cannot format either.

One of the folders says it is 55GB, but the card is 32GB.

But I can still copy all the files off the card.

Apparently, the card has a fault and has gone into read only mode to protect the data already on the card:
https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8656

Write Protect Error on USB Flash Drives

How do I fix a Write Protect error?

Write protection errors occur when a flash drive detects a potential fault within itself. The drive will go into write-protected mode to prevent data loss. There is no method to fix this. To verify the issue is related to the flash drive and not your computer we recommend that you try plugging the USB drive into another port on your computer. You should also try the drive on another computer if possible.

Note: If using a company computer, ensure your IT department does not block saving files to removable drives.

If the above steps have not solved the problem please back up your data and request a replacement using our online web form.

Has anyone had a card like this?

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: SD card gone into read-only mode
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2017, 09:16:42 pm »
Nope, never. That's really strange, but worrying. If it's not reporting it's correct size, that suggests to me it's very unwell. I'd suggest getting what you can, off it and replacing it.  Data is generally more precious than the card you are saving it on.
Wombat

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:55:50 pm »
You could try the SD Card Formatter from the SD Association. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
It sometimes works better than the Windows formatter.

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2017, 12:07:37 am »
The data is still on the card and can be opened and copied without any problems, it's just that the card is not usable as a memory card anymore.

The card's size is stated correctly in the drive letter (29GB), it's one of the sub-folder eg F:\Camera\cache, that says it is 55GB.

You could try the SD Card Formatter from the SD Association. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
It sometimes works better than the Windows formatter.

Thanks for suggestion. I tried formatting in the phone, nothing happened.
Then I tried the Formatter, it didn't work:

The memory card is write-protected.
Please release the write protect switch.
The switch is in the up "unlock" position!

As I quoted earlier:
Write protection errors occur when a flash drive detects a potential fault within itself. The drive will go into write-protected mode to prevent data loss. There is no method to fix this.

I'm reluctant to send it to Samsung for a warranty replacement, I might try the retailer as they might not want the card back.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2017, 12:10:58 am »
Depending on the age of the card your contract for replacement is with the retailer, not the manufacturer.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2017, 12:17:10 am »
Correct!

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2017, 08:05:37 am »
I'd a similar problem with a 4GB SD card.  It was caused by the attributes of a single file on the card, which I changed and the card reverted to read/write.  I just needed to find the file.. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2017, 02:57:17 pm »
SD cards are not invulnerable. Far from it. If you are having issues with the card, copy the data off and bin it /blag a replacement under warranty. Iv've been bitten before by dodgy cards.

And for the continued health of your cards - turn off devices before ejecting, e.g cameras/phones. Eject properly before removal from PC etc. And even then they will still go bad.

I am in the habit now of treating them as essentially disposable. One 32 gb card costs about the same as procuring and processing a 36exp roll of film. Or 3 pints of a good ale.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2017, 08:26:52 pm »
Amazingly I contacted the retailer and they said they will refund if I return the card; I need to print out the pre-paid label and take it to a Collect Plus shop.

However I want to delete the files on the card before returning it.

I think there must be some hidden file which tells devices that the card is read only. I tried various hard disk utilies and partioning tools but they didn't work until I tried to
resize the 4MB partition table, using GParted. I'm not sure what happened but the
result is the whole card is now unallocated and "partition table is unrecognised".
But I cannot make a new partition table using GParted, and the card is not recognised by the file manager.

I tried the card in Win 7, Linux, camera, audio recorder. All said: no card, card needs formatting etc, but can't format. I also tried to create a partition table using fdisk in Linux; didn't work, says "doesn't contain a valid partition table".

Are the files on the card now unreadable and unrecoverable? For the ordinary user, I suspect yes but I think the files are still on the card.

« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2017, 09:04:19 am »
Samsung SD cards have a warranty.... although there will be any exceptions and limitations

Are you able to see if they can sort your issue ?

« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2017, 05:07:53 pm »
I should add I bought the card more than two years ago. I'm not sending it to Samsung as apparently you have use registered post and will cost £6.50 to send it to the Netherlands.

I would send it back to the retailer but only if I know the files are now not readable.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11 on: 27 August, 2017, 05:19:59 pm »
Seems to me that you're over-thinking it.
It's a 2-year old 32GB card, and you are worrying about data privacy for returning it.

How much does a new one cost versus the time you have already spent thinking about this?

Bin it, and buy a new one, and think no more about it is my advice.

« Reply #12 on: 27 August, 2017, 05:37:48 pm »
You've got a point there.

Yes it was "only" £10, but of course £10 could be a lot of money for one person and almost nothing for another.

There's also the principle, why shouldn't you get a refund for a faulty product?

And it also means you cannot get refunds for faulty memory cards and faulty unencrypted hard drives  if you don't want to hand over your private data.