Author Topic: New version of Satmap's Satsync  (Read 1552 times)

New version of Satmap's Satsync
« on: 19 May, 2009, 10:08:31 pm »
I see that Satmap have released a new version of Satsync for the Active 10.  I've installed it, and can't say I'm exactly bowled over by the changes.  It seems to be a lot of cosmetic stuff, but apparently lets you access the card now, without having to plug the GPS in (but I don't have a reader on this PC, so haven't tested this).

At the same time as I installed this, I had a look at the Route Planner and Route Share (which I signed up to a while back when it was Free).  It doesn't seem to be that impressive.  It uses the OS mapping, so it's a bit better than other sites like Bikely, but it seems to be a bit slow (not that Bikely is always that fast!).  It doesn't seem to have any obvious functionality which is particularly missing from other software online, and I certainly wouldn't pay £80 for access to it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Re: New version of Satmap's Satsync
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2009, 10:49:31 am »
I said that to Satmap. They said that nobody else does the whole country at 1:25000.

I think it's aimed at walkers rather than cyclists.

I still wouldn't pay for it, & despite having it free, prefer to use other, permanently free, online route mappers. Which reminds me - I have to draw a route for the ride I'm leading on Sunday.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Rob S

Re: New version of Satmap's Satsync
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2009, 02:10:21 pm »
I said that to Satmap. They said that nobody else does the whole country at 1:25000.

I think it's aimed at walkers rather than cyclists.

Whilst it should be commended for offering 1:25,000 of the whole contry I tried to use it to plot a route to get the distance of a planned walk (as I can't ride at the mo due to some balance issue) and it bogged down so much it was taking about 10-15 seconds for each waypoint to appear after being positioned./...unsurprisingly I worked out this was going to take rather a long time for a walk with well over 200 waypoints so used my Memory Map at 1:50,000 instead.