Author Topic: Principia Evolution 2004  (Read 8917 times)

Principia Evolution 2004
« on: 20 August, 2008, 03:31:31 pm »
Chain Reaction Cycles have recently got hold of some Principia road frames. They have some 2004 models, which I think means they were handmade in Denmark. In my size and price range there are two that I'm quite interested in. There's the RSL Classic 2004 or the Evolution 2004. One of my concerns was getting replacement gear hangers - Chain Reaction don't stock anything compatible, should I worry about this? Also Some Principia models have odd head tube sizes and require non-standard headsets and forks. I emailed CRC and they assure me that these particular frames take standard headsets and forks, I'll take their word for it. Before I commit to buying one or the other, does anyone here have any advice or recommendations regarding these frames?

Re: Principia - but which one?!
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2008, 03:43:47 pm »
No direct experience of them myself, but I understand they are very good quality frames. I suppose with aluminium going out of vogue and the company going bust then they are flogging the old stock off cheap.

I'd seriously consider one as they look great.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2008, 08:23:11 pm »
The "Evolution" are an  upgraded model of the the RSL, it have the oval headtube
which improved the handling.
The RSL Classic are as they write a no frills racing bike, really tough and  extremely stiff.

about gearhangers; I'll try to check danish and german webshops.
They might have some on storage.

Update: Gear hanger 127 principia available here

G

Re: Principia Evolution 2004
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2008, 08:55:58 am »
Gus, you're a legend - thanks for that.

I am sorely tempted by the Evolution. It will really stretch my funds (when I should be saving for other things!) but I could do with a lightweight racing bike - as I currently *only* have a tourer, a fixie and a Brompton!
My dad is also a big Principia fan - he has a couple of Rex Pro frames. Really he should sell one to me, but I haven't even bothered asking - I know what the answer will be!

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2008, 09:09:18 am »
Ask Woolly! He's Principia crazy!  :o

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2008, 01:14:46 pm »
You can tell Wooly I'm Principia crazy too - I've just gone and bought the Evolution 2004! ;D

I reckon those horrible stickers on the chainstays and top tube will be removed first of all. Then it's going to take me a few months to build the thing up with quality components, as my finances allow - that'll be frustrating! It's going to be a total speed machine though - I'll be entering races on this one...:thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2008, 02:24:33 pm »
Make sure you use Campag this time eh?

Otherwise I'll refuse to ride with you  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2008, 02:50:43 pm »
Oh yes, Campag throughout I think, for an Italo-Danish thoroughbred.:thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2008, 02:57:37 pm »
2006 Centaur stuff is still widely available at reduced prices. The shifters are better than 2007 Centaur anyway as you can shift more than one sprocket at a time.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2008, 03:09:36 pm »
New bike project! JD Whiskers in Geoffs Oak will be getting a phone call to see what stock they have - they're usually unbeatable on price. I'll also be seeing them about building some wheels for me. This is going to be a seriously bling bike.

Not too dissimilar to this I imagine:

« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2008, 09:04:03 pm »
The manufacturer of the hanger to which Gus linked is here, so it's not just a one-shop product.

I'm very pleased with my Principia too. This is a poor shot (came from the shop before I bought it), but it's an RS6:

Are we heading for a YACF Principia owner's club ride? (Have to be on a dry day - mine doesn't get out in the wet!)

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #11 on: 21 August, 2008, 09:07:59 pm »

I must admit I haven't got a Principia  :-[

Yet

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12 on: 22 August, 2008, 11:53:22 pm »
Dirty Pia (Principia MTB MSL Pro) is 13 years old now, the only things that is original on her now is the fork and the seat post as the frame has out lasted everything else. Over the years she has been well and truly beaten (as a MTB but now riding as a road bike come work horse) as I was over 20 stones at one point when riding her :) and also I haven't been to nice to her as I should.

She is just lovely to ride, nice, light and rigid.   

I used to live down the road from the factory and I went to the same uni as the boys who started Principia :)

Over the years while living in the UK I have only spotted 2 other Prinicipias but since the offer at Chain Reaction Cycles (e.g in the last 2 month) I have spotted 3 in and around London.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #13 on: 23 August, 2008, 12:13:06 am »
I've seen several round North Herts. Mine came from Cyclestore, who still have at least one. I spotted it maybe a couple of years before I finally bought it, and the price kept going down until....

« Reply #14 on: 28 August, 2008, 04:07:29 pm »
Frame was delivered on Tuesday, and very nice it is too. I'm going to have a bit of a moan about Chain Reaction Cycles though. CRC made an issue on their website of stating that, 'All frames come with the components they are pictured with, there are NO alternative options available for ANY Principia frame set'. My frame is not as was pictured though. It came with a silver head set, and no decals apart from the Principia logo on the down tube. These are relatively small points, but I would have preferred the black head set, and it would have been nice to have the decal that states that the frame was handmade in Denmark - even though I wasn't very keen on the others! So I emailed CRC, and got a pretty dumb response. They just said if I was unhappy with it I could return it for a refund or exchange. The point is they are still advertising the frame with black headset and decals, so I've asked if the others they have in stock are as pictured, and if they are - then I'll return what they sent me and have what I actually ordered!

They just replied to my second email. They're basically saying that they're too busy at the moment to check the actual spec. of the other frames in stock, but if I want to keep what they have delivered, and can send photos to back up my claim, then they would be prepared to offer me a retrospective discount. I may take them up on this offer!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #15 on: 28 August, 2008, 06:20:56 pm »
From what I know anything that is made after 2003-2004 (when they went belly up) is made on that little island of frame builders next to China.

« Reply #16 on: 29 August, 2008, 08:43:35 am »
My understanding is that anything later than 2004 was made in the Far East, and certainly the box the frame was delivered in (which is presumably the box it left the factory in) states that the product was handmade in Denmark. Fortunately my dad has the original Principia brochure from 2004, and this particular 2004 model should be the real Danish thing. I guess to be certain I should try and look up the frame number.

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #17 on: 29 August, 2008, 09:24:05 am »
Principia stamped a production number on the inside of the left drop out.

You can see it here.

If it starts with PA and ends with a X. then it's made for the Danish market.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #18 on: 29 August, 2008, 09:41:10 am »
Principia stamped a production number on the inside of the left drop out.

You can see it here.

If it starts with PA and ends with a X. then it's made for the Danish market.

Made for the Danish market, in Denmark or else where ?

Their factory used to be just across the road from where I used to live. And I'm very sure that they move the production aboard when they get taken over in 2004.

« Reply #19 on: 29 August, 2008, 09:46:23 am »
Gus, the production number is indeed inside the left dropout and follows that format.

Also, I ordered that spare gear hanger from the website you found, but it doesn't look to be quite the same shape for this particular frame. They look like a good company to deal with though so I'm sure if I send them a photograph of the original they will be able to supply something compatible.

Thanks again!

« Reply #20 on: 01 September, 2008, 01:02:02 pm »
So it turns out that the reason Chain Reaction Cycles weren't able to check their stock when I asked was because they have recently suffered flood damage (Northern Ireland), and much of their stock needed to be moved to separate out the waterlogged stuff from the rest. Fair enough. The missing decals though are another issue and they've offered me £50 off my purchase, which I'm very happy with.

I've now cleaned the frame up (was bit dusty etc.) and I have to say, it looks stunning. It's anodised finish has a nice sheen to it and is hard as nails, so it shouldn't get scratched or chipped in a hurry. It weighs in at a shade over 1300g. I'm starting to think now about components and what I want the overall look to be like. I'm thinking sliver with red and black - I know Hope make some nice red gear, so I'll be looking into that. Check the members' bikes thread in a few months time for the end result!

« Reply #21 on: 06 September, 2008, 09:54:50 pm »
Nice bike here are a few suggestions to kit it out.

De Vingards living room... :: Weight Weenies

Weight Weenies - Articles

I have the Rex-e pro but with ultegra,owned since 2004 and absolutely the best bike i have ever ridden, i was after the evolution when i bought it but they didn't have my size in stock and it was going to be a few weeks wait to get it.

I'm kinda thinkin about getting 1 now but dunno if Mrs GR is of the same opinion.  :(
The biggest problem would be hiding it if i did get it :-X

fiftyacorn

« Reply #22 on: 27 December, 2008, 09:18:23 pm »
Hi

Ive got a 2004 Principia Evolution but its currently off the road as the gear hanger was snapped in transit at the airport and i have not managed to source a replacement. The closest match i can find is the BETD 161 hanger but it lacks to top screw so isnt balanced

Has anyone managed to source replacements?

Ive have an exact match on the hanger from a mate of mine - but its also damaged (again while travelling with the bikes) - are there any manufacturers in the UK who could work with this and create a replica?

Thanks

« Reply #23 on: 27 December, 2008, 10:05:57 pm »
There's the BETD 127. Otherwise I believe that RBS Bikes were the importers, so you could contact them.