Author Topic: Ride with GPS Premium subscription  (Read 5722 times)

Ride with GPS Premium subscription
« on: 19 September, 2018, 02:58:54 pm »
Does anyone have the premium subscription to Ride with GPS?  If so, is it worth the money?

Re: Ride with GPS Premium subscription
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2018, 03:31:30 pm »
I paid for it to make it easier to edit some 400 and 600 routes into separate control-to-control routes to minimise Garmin objections, but that alone isn't worth a subscription. Which reminds me, I must cancel it...

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2018, 03:53:30 pm »
I had it on pay monthly for the last 12months but have recently changed to yearly subscription (i had it gifted as a bithday present) $50 / £39...or 75p per week.

I use it all the time, it's by far the most superior mapping tool I've seen and i get more from it than say a Strava Premium account.
I'm certainly not flush with cash but it's worth every penny imo.

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2018, 04:34:08 pm »
I've been on premium since 2014, free for 5yrs, and I can only think this was a reward because I joined the android app beta testing.  I don't use ANT+ etc, so the only premium features I think I really use are the advanced route planning/editing, which I find useful for creating rides.  I probably wouldn't pay just for these features.  edit. 'Basic' is also paid, and so from this prob just 'estimated time', privacy zones, and I have trialled the offline map downloads for turn by turn, as a back-up for the garmin.  Not that bothered if these disappeared.

https://ridewithgps.com/help/compare-plans
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2018, 04:35:14 pm »
I paid for it to make it easier to edit some 400 and 600 routes into separate control-to-control routes to minimise Garmin objections, but that alone isn't worth a subscription. Which reminds me, I must cancel it...

Simple GPX can do that automatically and for free.

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2018, 10:33:34 am »
If you want to do advanced planning then yes. Very handy for organising. Custom cues, routesheet output, csv for spreadsheet manipulation. Multiple file outputs inc tcx & fit with t by t. Saving sections of route as a new one, importing a route/ride into the planner etc etc.

I also use the app to navigate by on my phone. I don't get any problems like having to split files such as Garmin, it just works (except the recent offline map tile conversions and migration which required failed and required a reinstall). With correct phone settings I can get a 300km done with no or little charging requiried.

If you just want to make a line and perhaps split it up into smaller chunks then use the free sub, export the GPX into GPX Editor, BikeHike etc and split it up there.

« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2018, 02:39:10 pm »
I use premium when I'm touring and drop back to free when I'm not.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2018, 03:47:47 pm »
RideWithGPS is, for most route-plotting, the most complete tool there is, and also the easiest to use, certainly for the way that I set routes up.  (I also use BikeHike for it's OS-maps loveliness when plotting offroad/bikepacking routes.)  I have not come across any other tool that comes close.

I have set up well over a thousand routes on RWGPS over the years, so I have had enormous utility from it, first on free then on Premium for the past three or four years.

Whenever I had pinged their support team, they have been helpful human beings.

Running a service such as RWGPS is not free.

Therefore I am more than happy to pay for Premium.

I let my Strava subscription lapse, as it's not all that useful, although I do pay for Veloviewer to keep on top of my square-bagging ...
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2018, 05:21:18 pm »
Running a service such as RWGPS is not free.

Therefore I am more than happy to pay for Premium.

Same here

« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2018, 06:05:35 pm »
I tend to use Plotaroute. Similar to RWGPS but has some features on the free subscription that you have to pay for with RWGPS.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2018, 07:11:36 pm »
How are folks getting on with the new screen look/layout?

I can't see the elevation graph at all! (Chrome on a middle-aged laptop) If I can't fix this I certainly shan't be subscribing any time soon ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2018, 07:54:02 pm »
How are folks getting on with the new screen look/layout?

I can't see the elevation graph at all! (Chrome on a middle-aged laptop) If I can't fix this I certainly shan't be subscribing any time soon ...

All good here - are you viewing or editing ? (Also, asking the obvious...you haven't accidentally collapsed the elevation graph ?

Incidentally, I'm on the (paid for) Basic plan and am more than happy.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:18:36 pm »
Viewing*: I can see the top 8 pixels of the elevation graph! And hovering over a few bits of it (the high-points?? Dunno!) causes the usual info float-over to appear.

* (I simply clicked on someone else's link - from a source that has worked for years for me  :(  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:51:23 pm »
Would you like to share the link ? 

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 21 September, 2018, 08:39:33 am »
yeah sure .. hang on a sec ...

Oh. The elevation is working now!  :facepalm: I'm pretty sure all I did in between was go to bed!

So anyway:
GN: the new interface seems to have most of the old options, via different menus(download to GPX track is the main one I actually use!).
BN: The look is a lot clunkier - wonder if it's optimised for smaller screens (i.e. on phones?)

For the moment I'm keeping my wallet closed, as I suspect a period of considerable change... but I am grateful for the site ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #15 on: 21 September, 2018, 08:47:36 am »
GN: you can opt for the classic look if you want to

« Reply #16 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:34:38 am »
yeah sure .. hang on a sec ...

Oh. The elevation is working now!  :facepalm: I'm pretty sure all I did in between was go to bed!

So anyway:
GN: the new interface seems to have most of the old options, via different menus(download to GPX track is the main one I actually use!).
BN: The look is a lot clunkier - wonder if it's optimised for smaller screens (i.e. on phones?)

For the moment I'm keeping my wallet closed, as I suspect a period of considerable change... but I am grateful for the site ...

Ah, sounds like you switched if off and on again.  Foolproof universal solution to all techie issues !

« Reply #17 on: 22 September, 2018, 05:58:50 am »
Those canny Australians have their Audax scheduled and permanent  routes in a RWGPS club library which provides premium features for downloaded routes. There is a small amount of admin as ride organisers have to be registered as club members so they can copy their routes into the library but the routes are set to public so riders just download them and get premium features. Might be a bit too "organised" for AUK context though ;-)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 22 September, 2018, 06:39:34 pm »
Those canny Australians have their Audax scheduled and permanent  routes in a RWGPS club library which provides premium features for downloaded routes. There is a small amount of admin as ride organisers have to be registered as club members so they can copy their routes into the library but the routes are set to public so riders just download them and get premium features. Might be a bit too "organised" for AUK context though ;-)
How would the subscription be paid for? Would members tolerate yet another rise in validation fees??  :o
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Ben T

« Reply #19 on: 22 September, 2018, 09:28:42 pm »
It goes without saying that I think paying for a ride with gps premium subscription is well worth it purely for the ability to download waypoints - because I would obviously take the view that viewing page source, searching for the json declaration of the waypoints, copying and pasting them into json-to-csv-converter.com and using excel to create a new gpx of the waypoints, is downright immoral and not something I would ever condone.  O:-)

« Reply #20 on: 23 September, 2018, 04:56:15 am »
How would the subscription be paid for? Would members tolerate yet another rise in validation fees??  :o

RWGPS "Club" account costs USD250 per year and in Oz context covers all Australian regions and ride organisers (who wish to participate, why wouldn't you?) and all members (and non-members) who download the TCX/GPX from the club library with the basic/premium features or load the route into the RWGPS phone app. Organisers who want the premium creation/editing features still have to have their own non-free subscription but this is not necessary to create routes unless it's your full time activity.