Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 87776 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #100 on: 17 May, 2015, 11:04:48 pm »
Steve Snook kindly calculated the AAA before the ride as 13.25

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #101 on: 18 May, 2015, 08:11:11 am »
Jonah, is Thurday 28th an evening where you will be telling us of the fine views and rolling vistas experienced en route?

H

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #102 on: 18 May, 2015, 09:39:54 am »

So pretty much same as doing Porkers and Brimstone back-to-back. Good grief!  :o

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #103 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:32:13 am »

So pretty much same as doing Porkers and Brimstone back-to-back. Good grief!  :o

Or three and a bit Hard-Boileds.......

Can't see what all the fuss is about!   ;)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

hillbilly

« Reply #104 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:42:09 am »
The Focus on AAA is wrong.

This ride is the same distance as the HB, Porkers and Dorset Coast. With an extra 100km of Wessexy goodness. Imagine how many wonderful views and charming lanes that means. It is almost inconceivable. Hills are generally the cost one pays for such delights.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #105 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:47:54 am »
The Focus on AAA is wrong.

This ride is the same distance as the HB, Porkers and Dorset Coast. With an extra 100km of Wessexy goodness. Imagine how many wonderful views and charming lanes that means. It is almost inconceivable.

Oh I totally agree and it would give a very false impression of the challenges of any of the Wessex rides, most of which, on AAA count alone, are far 'easier' than many rides out there.  Of course, Wessex SRs know differently.

I couldn't really give a shit about any points, awards, badges or all the other things people obsess over in Audax; but the climbing figure allows those that know how the Wessex landscape is, a reference point. 

It's definitely on list of rides.
Right! What's next?

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #106 on: 18 May, 2015, 04:25:29 pm »
Jonah, is Thurday 28th an evening where you will be telling us of the fine views and rolling vistas experienced en route?

H

Oh yes  :demon:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #107 on: 18 May, 2015, 06:00:47 pm »
It's definitely on list of rides.
Its very much on one of my lists.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #108 on: 18 May, 2015, 07:39:52 pm »

H

Oh yes  :demon:

Spiffy!

I will be there.

Plus it will be I interesting to hear your version of events in that stag do.

I am sure Gadge made it all up  :demon:

H

hillbilly

« Reply #109 on: 18 May, 2015, 08:31:38 pm »
It seems there are a few of us hoping to add this to our palmares. 

Assuming it doesn't appear in the calendar for 2016 (and there is no hint that it will) I will probably seek to do a Jonah and ride the route as a DIY (it fits well with other plans).  If this comes to pass, I'll tout for company, as this type of ride benefits from a little company (solo rides above 400km can be soul destroying and having the prospect of someone to chat to can help relieve the mental tension).

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #110 on: 18 May, 2015, 09:17:17 pm »
I can forward the GPX's - they were bang-on!
I'd love to do it again...

Chris S

« Reply #111 on: 18 May, 2015, 09:33:53 pm »
I'd love to do it again...

Poor lad - he's raving. That sleep deprivation is a swine.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #112 on: 19 May, 2015, 08:48:02 am »
Well done Jonah! Looking forward to reading the write up! Your updates certainly brought back some memories of what is was like riding the last episode in 2000! But solo, and on t'cog?!!! Chapeau!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to write something for Arrive instead

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #113 on: 19 May, 2015, 09:46:26 pm »
Well done Jonah! Looking forward to reading the write up! Your updates certainly brought back some memories of what is was like riding the last episode in 2000! But solo, and on t'cog?!!! Chapeau!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to write something for Arrive instead

:thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #114 on: 22 May, 2015, 06:24:24 pm »
I wonder if anyone could please help?  I need to send my GPX tracks for AA validation - I can see the blighters in my Garmin eTrex 30 but when I plug the device into my PC I can't find them

hillbilly

« Reply #115 on: 22 May, 2015, 06:27:56 pm »
Now the difficult bit.  Extracting a GPX track for a 1000km ride from a GPS unit. 

Don't worry Jonah, it's in there somewhere!  Just don't accidentally select anything that says "reset" or "delete"  :demon:

I should charge for these pearls of wisdom :smug:

(click to show/hide)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #116 on: 22 May, 2015, 07:04:32 pm »

Is it found? If so I don't need to bore you with suggestions. No words to describe that ride.

I'm hoping to do the Wessex SR as Perms between qualifying at WCW next week (I hope) and PBP. I've had to be at work for Porkers and also for Brimstone this weekend. As a Wessex CTC newbie I have been left in no doubt that I should "hold my manhood cheap" (W Shakespeare) If I persist in riding such lesser events. You've inspired me to stop holding my manhood and get on with it.
Cheers
David

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #117 on: 26 May, 2015, 10:03:46 am »

Is it found? If so I don't need to bore you with suggestions. No words to describe that ride.

I'm hoping to do the Wessex SR as Perms between qualifying at WCW next week (I hope) and PBP. I've had to be at work for Porkers and also for Brimstone this weekend. As a Wessex CTC newbie I have been left in no doubt that I should "hold my manhood cheap" (W Shakespeare) If I persist in riding such lesser events. You've inspired me to stop holding my manhood and get on with it.
Cheers
David

Hello Smeth - all the best with your WSR - I haven't managed to extract the tracks as yet - I would be very grateful for your advice
J

hillbilly

« Reply #118 on: 26 May, 2015, 11:33:11 am »
J.  I suggest posting to the GPX board, as not everyone with "the knowledge" will read this board (let alone a topic about a 1000km DIY based on a fabled route rekindled from the embers left by a previous generation of randonneurs).  Good luck  :-*

« Reply #119 on: 26 May, 2015, 11:51:21 am »
Or bring it to the pub on Thursday and we'll have a CrAcK at it then. Not that familiar with the eTrex, but sure we can figure it out before it gets too messy...
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #120 on: 26 May, 2015, 03:34:28 pm »
Hi,
The pub may be a good option as there are a lot of variables. a laptop and cable might be handy. but anyway here's a go at it:

I don't know what you use to view GPX files on your PC - could be Mapsource, Basecamp, Bikehike. A user of any of those can help with specifics of that method (I use Basecamp) All have the facility to upload files from the etrex but I find the easiest way to transfer is to find them and treat them as files on a disk drive and just move them over using Windows to wherever you keep them on your PC, than view them in the gizmo of your choice. The previous advice you had about the track possibly being archived on the Etrex sounds highly likely as the Etrex is set by default to archive at frequent intervals though this can be altered in settings.

Anyway to treat them as files on a disk drive (as mentioned) set the etrex to Mass storage" mode when unplugged from the PC. To do this go to "Setup" then "System" and the bottom choice on the list is "USB mode". This can be toggled between "Garmin" and "Mass Storage". .Select the latter. Turn the Etrex off and plug it in to the pc.
It's screen will eventually display the USB Symbol and the PC will act as if you had inserted a disk or SD card into the computer, i.e. it should appear on the "My Computer" window as a seperate drive, or rather two separate drives - one will be the internal memory and the other will be the Micro SD you have probable installed in the Etrex.

You have two options. You can either open these new "drives" from "My Computer" and see the contents, or more likely the Autoplay function on your PC will have already opened two windows (one for each drive) offering among other things the option to "Open a window to view files).

Open the drives by either route to view the files. You can now drag and drop them around your PC to the place your tracks and routes normally live for viewing in your chosen software. I don't know if you've saved the track with a name so you can recognise it but it may have the default of the Time/date of the ride start or possibly archive time/date. An option would be to copy the whole lot across to the PC, then use your chosen software to open each one and work out which one it is.

A word or two about finding the files on the Garmin:

The internal memory is the one entitled "Garmin eTrex 30" (followed by a drive letter)
The SD card if installed will be the other one probably called "External Drive" (plus drive letter)

To find the tracks the following will generally apply:
In the internal memory Select the "GARMIN" folder, Then "GPX". You will either see the files there or they may be in "ARCHIVE" sub-folder if it has been archived or "CURRENT" sub-folder if it's still active.
To look in the External Drive (I have this set as the default in case the gadget breaks) go to the "GARMIN" folder, then the "GPX" folder. The files should be there.

Hope all this B******s is helpful. If not PM me as it's easier to talk through,  or maybe talk through over a beer on Thursday with your oppo. I am abstaining until after WCW this weekend then it's back on that PBP website hopefully.
Dave (Smeth)urst. How lacking in imagination!

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #121 on: 26 May, 2015, 05:53:54 pm »
Just to add a note to Smeth's instructions. When searching for my archive files I find it easier to use Basecamp with the etrex plugged in as described above, you can see the tracks recorded in the archive (I think archive files often have the suffix 'day' at the end). Just click on them and it's immediately apparent on the map whether it's a relevant track, that way it's easier to visually identify what you're after rather than looking through long file names for dates and times.  You could also use Basecamp to join the tracks but I prefer to use a text editor as it seems to keep the climbing figure intact for strava purposes (as long as you follow the instructions here https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=86400.0) which may be of particular relevance for this ride.  Good luck!

Looking forward to reading about the ride

hillbilly

« Reply #122 on: 26 May, 2015, 06:52:09 pm »
What's written below is what I do (Smeth's email).  I'd forgotten that you needed to make the GPS internal memory a drive.  I've had it set up that way from the moment it came out of the box, following the advice that Frankly Frankie put either in Arrivee or on his aukadia site.

Where it gets tricky is if the track is split into several different files (which I suspect it will be).  You need to stick them together, which can either be done using software (I've never done it, but have been assured in the past that it is "a piece of piss with the right software") or by manual copying and pasting.

I do the latter.  It's fiddly but easy if you know how the output is structured.  Not for everyone though, and is the kind of thing best left to someone with a bit of xtml-fu.  And also best done sober and with the delete key firmly off bounds unless you know what you are doing!

« Reply #123 on: 28 May, 2015, 05:44:13 pm »
Thanks for all the input - above instructions printed off, laptop & cable packed, off to my date with Jonah's eTrex in the pub.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #124 on: 28 May, 2015, 05:52:25 pm »
Good luck Ivan! 

Crack those pesky files out of the technophobes bleepy box and get them onto his Strava (I know!  But Jonah does have a Strava account!) so we can all study them and make our decision not to be so fecking stupid as to think we could give it a go! 

I would genuinely be intrigued by the route.  As a Wessex SR, a go at the Crackpot really is my duty sometime.  I assure you that a lot of gears would be accompanying me for the trip though.
Right! What's next?