Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 88010 times)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #125 on: 28 May, 2015, 05:54:20 pm »
Let us know how much it weighs and what you're going to call it when it's all over!

« Reply #126 on: 28 May, 2015, 07:21:56 pm »
A pdf of the route is here:  http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/CRACKPOT.pdf
I think it's the 2nd edition.

hillbilly

« Reply #127 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:01:25 am »
Was it a successful delivery?  Or did the rate of progress get outstripped by the pace of inebriation, such the Jonah is still waiting anxiously for it to pop out?

« Reply #128 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:28:54 am »
The Eagle has landed. Tracks were successfully extracted last night and emailed directly to Paul who's forwarded them on for AAA validation. Was a bit tricky - found 10 relevant files in GPX/Archive but was missing the end section - located this in GPX/Current, but it included the train & ride home. Looks like ~13000m of climbing over 1045km, and the combined track is too large to load into bikehike. Thanks again for the tips - had a few pub 'experts' assisting as well.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #129 on: 29 May, 2015, 12:07:24 pm »

“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #130 on: 29 May, 2015, 12:47:24 pm »
I remember looking at that on a map and thinking someone had drawn a nice route from Poole to Minehead, then crossed it out as too far.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #131 on: 29 May, 2015, 02:09:41 pm »
The bit where it starts to get crossed out being a right bugger aye?!

« Reply #132 on: 29 May, 2015, 02:43:44 pm »
The bit where it starts to get crossed out being a right bugger aye?!

I was first on the road at dawn out of Minehead. The mist was rising from the fields. I followed a stag clip-clopping along the road, then came across a huddled herd of deer steaming in the morning sun. A little later a hare ran ahead of me, and sundry other wildlife.  Magical memories.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #133 on: 29 May, 2015, 03:47:15 pm »
Well done Ivan for extracting that from the depths of Jonah's GPS!

Looks well Wessex for sure.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #134 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:43:21 pm »
Last night at ACH drinks the lads asked how The Crackpot compared to the other WSR rides - I had given this a lot of thought as I was riding and I am of the opinion that it has its own distinct character - I love all of the rides but particularly Hellfire.  However, Crackpot beats then all in my opinion.  I particularly noticed the tree filled gorges around Avon as well as the open elevated plains which characterised the ride for me.

« Reply #135 on: 29 May, 2015, 08:26:58 pm »
I've been reading old Arrivee accounts of the Crackpot and it sounds like a challenge - very Wessex indeed ! Just got to convince the wife and kids ...

Chris S

« Reply #136 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:28:59 pm »
I've been reading old Arrivee accounts of the Crackpot and it sounds like a challenge - very Wessex indeed ! Just got to convince the wife and kids ...

Wow - audacious indeed, making it a whole family venture. Top work  :thumbsup:

« Reply #137 on: 27 June, 2015, 04:23:19 pm »
I followed in Justin’s wheel tracks last week and rode the CrAcKpOt. Bit of a different approach though in that I had gears and started at Ilminster rather than Poole. This allowed me to have overnight stops at Ilminster, West Stafford and Poole to give 4 days of 333km, 298km, 280km and 96km. I was able to leave spare clothing at the stops, travel reasonably light and minimise night riding (2 hrs on 1st day and 4th day only) which helped give a moving time of just under 43 hrs at 23.7km/hr average. I did not sleep on cardboard boxes in an alleyway in Wells, perhaps another time on another ride  ;D

The weather was as forecast being warm and dry with only problem being an increasing headwind during day 2 & 3 afternoons – but I’ll take that. My bike was near perfect too with no mechanicals or visitations during the ride.

Day 1 was the toughest with Exmoor and the edge of Dartmoor to tackle. The 95km stage from Minehead to Bovey Tracey is a mutha as Justin said. The following stage to Culmstock is a cracker too. The other days include plenty of the crumpled Wessex countryside as well, although there are sections where you can get some respite there’s many a challenge or surprise along the route.

Many thanks to Pete L for the bed at West Stafford and Drew B for the excellent breakfast at Springfield House. 

Anyone else thinking of a CrAcKpOt this year?

Day 1 on way to Bovey

Day 3 Bulbarrow Hill with mist below

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #138 on: 27 June, 2015, 09:56:05 pm »
I had heard rumours you were out there (to be honest we thought you were out there this weekend).

Chapeau!

A great achievement and brilliant to see two riders tackle this in one season.

Top banana!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #139 on: 28 June, 2015, 05:53:57 am »
Chapeau Swiss Hat

I think I might have to have a go at this at some time, but probably not until 2017.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hillbilly

« Reply #140 on: 28 June, 2015, 05:40:02 pm »
Two attempts.  100% completion.  One on fixed and lumbered with the aerodynamic disadvantage of a face muffler.

There is only one possible conclusion. 

It must be an easy ride.

*cough*

« Reply #141 on: 28 June, 2015, 08:57:07 pm »
Two attempts.  100% completion.  One on fixed and lumbered with the aerodynamic disadvantage of a face muffler.

There is only one possible conclusion. 

It must be an easy ride.

*cough*
Unless you factor in the names involved.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #142 on: 28 June, 2015, 09:07:42 pm »
i've done very little cycling in those parts so i'd like to give it a go if it was an organised ride

« Reply #143 on: 28 June, 2015, 09:42:22 pm »
Respect to both of you.

hillbilly

« Reply #144 on: 28 June, 2015, 09:57:49 pm »
i've done very little cycling in those parts so i'd like to give it a go if it was an organised ride

Get to the back of the line, queue jumper :)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #145 on: 28 June, 2015, 10:07:17 pm »
I followed in Justin’s wheel tracks last week and rode the CrAcKpOt. Bit of a different approach though in that I had gears and started at Ilminster rather than Poole. This allowed me to have overnight stops at Ilminster, West Stafford and Poole to give 4 days of 333km, 298km, 280km and 96km. I was able to leave spare clothing at the stops, travel reasonably light and minimise night riding (2 hrs on 1st day and 4th day only) which helped give a moving time of just under 43 hrs at 23.7km/hr average. I did not sleep on cardboard boxes in an alleyway in Wells, perhaps another time on another ride  ;D

The weather was as forecast being warm and dry with only problem being an increasing headwind during day 2 & 3 afternoons – but I’ll take that. My bike was near perfect too with no mechanicals or visitations during the ride.

Day 1 was the toughest with Exmoor and the edge of Dartmoor to tackle. The 95km stage from Minehead to Bovey Tracey is a mutha as Justin said. The following stage to Culmstock is a cracker too. The other days include plenty of the crumpled Wessex countryside as well, although there are sections where you can get some respite there’s many a challenge or surprise along the route.

Many thanks to Pete L for the bed at West Stafford and Drew B for the excellent breakfast at Springfield House. 

Anyone else thinking of a CrAcKpOt this year?

Day 1 on way to Bovey

Day 3 Bulbarrow Hill with mist below

Top one Swiss Hat!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #146 on: 28 June, 2015, 10:09:02 pm »
Lets hope that this is the start of many more attempts on this CrAcKeR of a ride  :D

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #147 on: 28 June, 2015, 10:21:07 pm »
Well done Martin  :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #148 on: 29 June, 2015, 07:20:23 pm »
Superb result Mr Swiss Hat!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Must be gettin' Shawn 'a thinkin' 'bout resurrecting this here ye event again  :demon:

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #149 on: 29 June, 2015, 10:22:12 pm »
It has certainly rekindled the thought in my mind.

H