Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve's tracker page is here  (Read 42618 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Re: Steve's tracker page is here
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2015, 01:42:12 pm »
It’s useful enough but I do hope jo’s offer to create a more engaging visualisation is taken up.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2015, 01:56:29 pm »
It will probably always be the primary source for knowing where is he is RIGHT NOW.

For further analysis/visualization of the year-to-date, there are certainly better ways to display the data - we just don't have them yet. I have every faith in Jo to create something interesting, and I expect lots of other people to do stuff (especially as strava already has lots of built-in tools to play with. )

I don't know whether trackleaders.com have ever displayed data over such a long time-frame - they may see the usefulness of further filtering etc and develop stuff as the dataset builds up.
(I think their main thing is lots of people racing simultaneously for just a few days. Could be wrong!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2015, 02:35:17 pm »
If not done already its certainly worth contacting http://veloviewer.com as he can provide some great graphics and logistical displays based on the Strava data, and I'm sure he would be keen to be involved in Steve's legendary year.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2015, 03:46:02 pm »
What was Steve's official mileage yesterday? I saw that the previous day's 206 tracked expanded to 222.7 on the .gpx. I would guess that multiplying the tracked distance by 1.07 would be a pretty good rule of thumb, unless he kept on a perfectly straight road for an hour or two.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2015, 03:49:58 pm »
What was Steve's official mileage yesterday? I saw that the previous day's 206 tracked expanded to 222.7 on the .gpx. I would guess that multiplying the tracked distance by 1.07 would be a pretty good rule of thumb, unless he kept on a perfectly straight road for an hour or two.
I think the official mileage (or provisional, I guess!) is whatever Strava says under
"Year to Date":
http://www.strava.com/athletes/1419435

(I think you need to register to get more detailed breakdown).

The twitter feed is also a good source (so far):
https://twitter.com/yearrecord
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2015, 03:55:54 pm »
The first 500 miles done :)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2015, 04:02:06 pm »
Only another 149½ of them to go then.

« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2015, 04:38:13 pm »
Only another 149½ of them to go then.

?

He'll always settle for more, but he has to be happy with anything around 550 for the first three days I'd have thought - that's well on target for his January average.   
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2015, 05:18:12 pm »
150*500=75000. Add that to what he has already ridden and he has a new world record.

« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:09:39 pm »
It will probably always be the primary source for knowing where is he is RIGHT NOW.

If it could at least separate the current day’s track from earlier days it would be a help.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2015, 11:42:43 pm »
Trackleaders and Strava give different distances for Steve.  Which one is canonical?  Can anyone on the OYTT team enlighten us as to the source of the discrepancy? 

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2015, 11:53:44 pm »
Strava should be canonical. The trackleaders distance is based on infrequent samples and cuts corners so giving a shorter distance. Go by strava.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 05 January, 2015, 12:13:03 am »
Strava is the official distance measurement for UMCA purposes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #14 on: 05 January, 2015, 12:29:58 am »

Lets just hope Strava doesn't go down.
(Only partially said in jest. I trust team TG are keeping safe and secure offsite backups of all the .fit/gpx files with HR data intact.  Strava has no published SLA, could accidentally loose an entire account at any time, or the company could even go bust)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 05 January, 2015, 12:33:18 am »
(Only partially said in jest. I trust team TG are keeping safe and secure offsite backups of all the .fit/gpx files with HR data intact.  Strava has no published SLA, could accidentally loose an entire account at any time, or the company could even go bust)

The Linus Torvalds approach to backups would seem appropriate here...

simonp

« Reply #16 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:10:36 am »
*guesses*

we all download a copy?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:23:32 am »
I trust team TG are keeping safe and secure offsite backups of all the .fit/gpx files with HR data intact.

Good question, glad you asked. Something for the team to confirm.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #18 on: 05 January, 2015, 02:24:57 am »
*guesses*

we all download a copy?

It would be useful backups to be of known provenance to give confidence in their authenticity.
  • us each having a differing random subset of 365+ GPX files would be hard to piece back together to the whole story, and attest they really are his
  • exporting from Strava looses the HRM (and temperature and power etc etc) data.

Simplest thing could be to do the uploads via Garmin Connect and rely* on the Garmin-strava linkage to automatically get them into Strava. Then it's in two places at least. (And has plus point of being fully automatic upload with Garmin 1000 + smartphone running garmin connect, and also reduces the need to ever have to type Strava password into random host's PC)
* - that's the rub with this approach...

-or-

periodically go into https://www.strava.com/settings/profile and click "Download all your activities". When the archive link is sent, go ahead and download it and save a copy in GDrive, github, dropbox, memory stick, whatever.
EDIT: this is not such a good choice either, as it also uses GPX file and looses the HR etc data (see comments here). This ongoing struggle to get a decent export from Strava is exactly why I'm nervous of any workflow that treats Strava as the Source of Truth for my own data. Backing up the .fit files at source probably is the winner.

simonp

« Reply #19 on: 05 January, 2015, 02:37:37 am »
Indeed. What would help crowd backups to work is to public key sign each track. That would allow the authenticity of backups crowd to be established given a suitably strong key. You'd insert the signature in an irrelevant field which strava preserves on export and sign based on other content that's preserved. Of course this relies on the data not being modified by strava in any way.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #20 on: 05 January, 2015, 03:18:02 am »
I just got a "download all my data" link from strava, and that does seem to include temperature and HR (but not power), in gpxtpx:hr style GPX extension fields, for your own exports. Good enough.

« Reply #21 on: 05 January, 2015, 06:33:49 am »

So how do they decide which of Saturday's uploads is the correct one? Two are now on Steves website.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #22 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:21:43 am »

Ah, cheers  :thumbsup:  That's been a persistent question on TTF so I'll go over there and calm them down. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 05 January, 2015, 12:41:17 pm »
*guesses*

we all download a copy?

Quote from: Linus Torvalds, 1996
Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)

It wasn't an entirely serious suggestion, but taking the raw files and bunging them on the web (with GPG signatures and MD5 sums to taste) with an open invitation for data nerds to come up with cool visualisations of the data would seem more trustworthy (if less official) than Strava.

« Reply #24 on: 05 January, 2015, 03:41:22 pm »
I can see that page getting quite addictive for the next 12 months - Steve passed within 5 or so miles of my work today.