Author Topic: Edge 800 annoyance  (Read 1562 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Edge 800 annoyance
« on: 03 July, 2017, 08:57:25 pm »
As any regular reader will know, the Edge 800 has a bug where it will crash somewhere around 400k.
So you need to stop the recording, and reset the timer somewhere before that, and then splice the tracks together.

On a recent 600, I had the ride logically split into 3 200k-ish sections.
I re-set it at the 200k point, and the 400k point.

On the final stage, I got my knickers in a twist because I couldn't find the control.
The device was routing me this way and that; but my by reckoning we had passed the control according to distance.
I had pulled over, and was fiddling with the device to get it to show me the control waypoint, when an ACH chappie pulled up to check I was OK.

"Where's the control?" says I.
"Oh, it's about 10 miles on yet!" says he.

And so it was.
The device was routing me correctly.
The problem was that as you reset the timer, you need to keep track of the accumulated distance which you've just cleared, and add that onto whatever distance the device is currently showing.
It was just my mental arithmetic was not up to scratch at 550k, and I had got my current distance wrong.

Bah.

Re: Edge 800 annoyance
« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2017, 09:08:26 pm »
I forgot to switch my 800 off on the National 400 and had the white screen of death appear with about 30km to go and I forgot how to do the reset.

Out came the route sheet!

Normally I switch it off at a control as you know exactly where you are and although I was using individual tracks between controls, it was still keeping a background check of the ride.

« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2017, 07:13:04 pm »
I reset the odometer settings at the start of the ride. This is not affected by any resetting of the route.

dim

« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2017, 07:28:37 pm »
I have an Edge 1000 as my main satnav .... but I also have an old trusty Edge 500 as backup
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2017, 07:54:40 pm »
I reset the odometer settings at the start of the ride. This is not affected by any resetting of the route.

Sure. So do I.

But at some point between 350 and 400k, there is a very high risk an Edge 800 will shit itself.
So you need to re-set the current activity mid-ride, before that happens.

This then requires mental arithmetic to calculate your actual distance, by adding the distance-you-reset-at to the current-distance-displayed.
This can be error-prone when you are 550k in.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2017, 08:14:20 pm »
The whole point in a GPS receiver is that it's better at arithmetic, paying attention and remembering place names than I am.  Might as well use a routesheet, otherwise.