Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 452754 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #100 on: 13 January, 2015, 08:13:54 am »
He doesn't seem to have mustered the same level of interest as Steve. Look at his kudos on Strava compared to Steve's.

Golly, yes. I see what you mean.

Social Stats

Kurt Searvogel

Followers 370
  Kudos 195

Steve Abraham

Followers 5,387
  Kudos 10,443

You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #101 on: 13 January, 2015, 08:18:20 am »
  Kurt Searvogel

Followers 370
  Kudos 195

Well one of those is me, I imagine he might have a few followers around here! I'm certainly wishing him luck, as I am anyone who attempts this.

« Reply #102 on: 13 January, 2015, 08:50:55 am »
I'm certainly wishing him luck, as I am anyone who attempts this.

Yeah, me too.

People have talked about the different approaches between Steve and Tarzan, but I think a lot of that comes down to terrain and climatic environment. Here in the UK we're all snuggled into little dolls house of a country where everything is literally accessible by bicycle, and Steve's ideally placed to use his home as a base, and he doesn't need to change that for the whole of the 12 months. And there is Tarzan, in this monstrous place of a country with three time zones [or is it four?] and the weather from top to bottom can be a lot more extreme than it is here. If you're going to start this challenge in January in the USA, is there a better place than Florida? Who wouldn't start there? Problem he has is, how long can he stay down south before it gets too hot during the day to maintain that kind of distance. Has he outlined any travel/location plans as such?
Garry Broad

Chris S

« Reply #103 on: 13 January, 2015, 09:15:57 am »
CBA to check myself (lurgied and lazy) - does Tarzan advertise his HR on his rides? Is it possible to get some measure of how hard he's working compared to Steve? We;ve all marveled at Steve's low HR - I suspect my HR is higher than his now, as he rides and I lie in my sick bed!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #104 on: 13 January, 2015, 09:26:04 am »
yes.............. he shows 105 HR as average - and his total climb in 295kms was 416 metres
Steve shows as  85 HR average and 1426 metres of climb in 293.5 kms
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

red marley

« Reply #105 on: 13 January, 2015, 09:26:12 am »
CBA to check myself (lurgied and lazy) - does Tarzan advertise his HR on his rides? Is it possible to get some measure of how hard he's working compared to Steve? We;ve all marveled at Steve's low HR - I suspect my HR is higher than his now, as he rides and I lie in my sick bed!

Yes. On Strava, click the 'analyse' option to the left of one of his rides and you get his BPM throughout the ride. e.g. https://www.strava.com/activities/240351097/analysis

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #106 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:10:36 am »
I think that is only  a premium feature and I get a different style of analysis for Steve and Kurt

« Reply #107 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:27:51 am »
Is it just me that finds both their heart rates amazing though?  I've not bothered with my HRM for a few years but will fit it for a DIY 200 this weekend just to see.  Even though my personal resting rate is around 50BPM, it would be impossible for me to ride any distance with an average below 100 like Steve!

Chris S

« Reply #108 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:35:15 am »
Is it just me that finds both their heart rates amazing though?  I've not bothered with my HRM for a few years but will fit it for a DIY 200 this weekend just to see.  Even though my personal resting rate is around 50BPM, it would be impossible for me to ride any distance with an average below 100 like Steve!

It's not just you, no. If I'm on my bike, my HR is >100, period. My usual average for a flatish 200 is 140 (max 200).

« Reply #109 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:40:15 am »
An interesting insight into how efficient Steve (and Tarzan) must be. Years and years of ultra-endurance riding I guess.

simonp

« Reply #110 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:45:45 am »
148bpm average for me on Saturday. Max 182. Less than 20kph average.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #111 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:59:16 am »
My max must be about 155. On the 2nd day of a 600 my heart rate barely gets into 3 figures. Riding all day at a gentle pace on a multi-week tour, sometimes the max is about 90. Resting heart rate (as measured by the Stadtkrankenhaus Brilon in the summer) is 32.

Perhaps we're all just different (unless we're the same).
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #112 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:51:10 am »
With a V rough calculation using assumptions of Steve’s RHR being 60 and his MHR 200, 85 is about 20% up his operating range.
Which means to me that if he’s riding an average of about 80 Watts, his FTP could be 400.

« Reply #113 on: 13 January, 2015, 12:15:06 pm »
What is the basis for the 200 max heart rate assumption?
Steve is clearly a strong rider, but his 24 hour performances, for example, don't suggest an FTP* quite that high

Jargonwatch:
* Level of power in watts that a person can produce for 1 hour

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #114 on: 13 January, 2015, 12:19:35 pm »
I have a basic heart rate monitor but have hardly ever used it. I did wear it around the SEG 75 mile ride about 4 years ago and the highest I saw it at was 140. That was whilst I was trudging up the hill form Tiger's Island to Stock. Unfortunately it doesn't record, just displays what is current. IIRC I was just out of time on that ride - it took me marginally longer than 7 hours, including stops, for the 75 miles, so I was going really quickly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #115 on: 13 January, 2015, 12:26:14 pm »
Is there another forum in another place where Tarzan's HAM'R attempt is being discussed like Steve's attempt is being discussed here?

(keeps fingers crossed the answer isn't Facebook...)
The answers are
Yes &
Yes  ;D

Or rather a US forum was linked to by Steve(!) on Facebook back in December. I've been meaning to fish it out again, looked like some intelligent discussion. [Blocked at work right now ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #116 on: 13 January, 2015, 12:49:24 pm »
Obviously, as a USAnian, he will have taken this into account, but where will he ride in the summer months? It's easy for us on this side of the Atlantic to forget how far south North America is. Where he is riding at the moment is further south than Cairo. New York is on about the same latitude as Naples, Toronto and Montreal => Milan. It does tend to get pretty hot there, even in the northern states.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #117 on: 13 January, 2015, 01:05:54 pm »
Tarzan is aiming to relocate when needed either by car or by plane. Steve might relocate - but is not planning to.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #118 on: 13 January, 2015, 01:13:31 pm »
In fact it looks to me as if he relocated before starting today.

hillbilly

« Reply #119 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:05:46 pm »
Having that flexibility is one of the reasons why Kurt is a serious contender.  This is not some chump swinging through the trees and chomping bananas.  He is a competitive athlete who has a goal, a plan and the belief.  I am not privy to whether Steve just wants to surpass Tommy or to establish a long lasting record.  But Kurt clearly intends to win.

An exciting duel between two great athletes.  And that other muppet, flaccidcock or whatever his name is.

« Reply #120 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:13:07 pm »
This is not some chump swinging through the trees and chomping bananas.

Indeed not, but if he will call himself Tarzan, he is going to get some ape jokes :-)

« Reply #121 on: 13 January, 2015, 02:58:28 pm »
I don’t trust him.
A man in nothing but a buckskin loincloth who has a chimp called Cheetah as a best friend.

I want to know where he found that knife.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #122 on: 13 January, 2015, 03:17:52 pm »
After a couple of years of regular Audaxing I found myself doing the BHPC's two-hour race at Castle Combe.  Hard as it may be to believe, I was in the leading bunch of three and at one point was able to read the HRM of another rider.  He was revving at 170+; I was doing about 140.

Bugger still outsprant me in the final furlong through >:(

If Tarzan wants flat there is plenty of it in USAnia, but combining flat with "not outrageously hot" or "not infested with things that bite" is a different matter.  The latter would tend to rule out northern Minnesota, where my friend Brad knows of a road with a total altitude change of <6' in ten miles.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #123 on: 13 January, 2015, 04:51:11 pm »
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #124 on: 13 January, 2015, 05:04:46 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles