Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450598 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #325 on: 20 January, 2015, 07:10:35 pm »
Did I read it right on his website somewhere that he's been trying out an unfaired carbon recumbent for use later on ... ?

Perfectly Okay in HAMR rules - but it'd be nice to see 2 guys duking it out on normal bikes - leave the recumbents for next years HAMR racers ......

LMT

« Reply #326 on: 20 January, 2015, 09:46:26 pm »
Did I read it right on his website somewhere that he's been trying out an unfaired carbon recumbent for use later on ... ?

Perfectly Okay in HAMR rules - but it'd be nice to see 2 guys duking it out on normal bikes - leave the recumbents for next years HAMR racers ......

Why would someone want to ride a 'normal bike' when their objective is to cover the most amount of miles?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #327 on: 20 January, 2015, 10:13:21 pm »
I wonder whether there was any rules regarding the Dark Side in 1939?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #328 on: 20 January, 2015, 10:25:31 pm »
As we've noted before, recumbents were around then.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/new-cycle-issue-title-dips-into-comedy

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #329 on: 20 January, 2015, 10:29:07 pm »
Aye, my dad had one

« Reply #330 on: 20 January, 2015, 10:36:19 pm »
I spotted Tarzan asking for a beer in his Day10 video - not sure if he was just trying to wind up the UMCA bods.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #331 on: 20 January, 2015, 10:49:31 pm »
Looks like Tarzan might be going for a big one tonight.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #332 on: 21 January, 2015, 01:49:53 am »
Kurts ride has just appeared on Strava. He "only" managed 178 miles today. 4000ft less  climbing than Steve and in significantly warmer temps. Is Tarzan cracking?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #333 on: 21 January, 2015, 02:43:45 am »
Or reacting to Steve's "short" day yesterday?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #334 on: 21 January, 2015, 05:34:32 am »
From FB he had a bad day today with flats, a crash, and bad drivers. Good mileage all considering. Better luck tomorrow

« Reply #335 on: 21 January, 2015, 07:25:45 am »
Or reacting to Steve's "short" day yesterday?

Trackstanding by their standards

« Reply #336 on: 21 January, 2015, 08:00:49 am »
If its pure mileage the guy’s after, he could sleep in a coach during the night which is taking him back up to the top of the Rockies.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #337 on: 21 January, 2015, 08:20:07 am »
From FB he had a bad day today with flats, a crash, and bad drivers. Good mileage all considering. Better luck tomorrow

Yeah, a day of multiple misfortune.  I wasn't sure if the reference to running off the road was something drivers had done, or if he'd just skipped off the edge of a poorly maintained road surface.  I hope it's not the former.
Getting there...

hillbilly

« Reply #338 on: 21 January, 2015, 08:23:39 am »
I took from his messages it was the former.  I'm hoping he is well and shakes off the bad vibe it is bound to have come with.

« Reply #339 on: 21 January, 2015, 08:57:10 am »
I confess when I read the posts about how Steve has it so much harder, I thought of (1) Mercan driving/drivers and the roads Kurt is on (2) Florida rain. I still think Steve has the tougher cycle, but each will have their challenges. I just wish them both a safe year cycling.

« Reply #340 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:29:07 am »
I confess when I read the posts about how Steve has it so much harder, I thought of (1) Mercan driving/drivers and the roads Kurt is on (2) Florida rain. I still think Steve has the tougher cycle, but each will have their challenges. I just wish them both a safe year cycling.

This, in spades.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #341 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:45:54 am »
+1
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #342 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:34:30 am »
I made a comment on Kurt's strava page some days ago (when he was being knocked by some Brits and the whole comments thing was turning into a anglo-American slanging match) that 75,000 miles is 75,000 miles and 365 days is a long time, anything can happen. It's a tough undertaking and each rider has their own challenge regardless of which side of the Atlantic they're on.

« Reply #343 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:37:08 am »
There will always be a ‘rivalry element’. The Ryder cup was supposed to be a friendly golf match.

As long as we don’t tax him on the tea he’s drinking.  ;)

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #344 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:48:14 am »
;D

Rivalry is fine as long as it's friendly and in good spirit.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #345 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:55:47 am »
I'm wondering if Tarzan might be missing a trick.

Each to his own, and all that, but on the assumption (entirely mine) that he won't get any better cycling weather all year than he's getting in Florida in January, then he ought to be aiming to keep above the "Tommy Line" of 206 mpd. Maybe he's so 'ard that US summers don't worry him - again, assuming he stays in the US.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #346 on: 21 January, 2015, 12:03:27 pm »
I'd imagine he will want to build into it a bit otherwise he runs the risk of burning himself out. Don't forget he will have another warm winter to finish which he might really attack if he needs the miles late on.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #347 on: 21 January, 2015, 12:26:42 pm »
You make it sound so easy Wowbagger.  He's already exceeding his schedule, but was expecting to go for longer/faster in the summer.

Everything in the plan is just an estimate since much will depend on the weather and where I can start and stop each day.   My goal is to start out riding 10 hours a day the first week on my long rides and then add 10 minutes to the time ridden each week as I get more daylight and better weather.   I plan to increase my time on the bike to 14-15 hours during the summer and then taper it back down to about 10 hours a day by the end of 2015.    My speed goal for riding is to start out riding my long days at about 17 mph which, for me, is actually a little slow.   As my fitness improves, my average speed will get better and by mid year I should be riding at around 20 mph or better and should be able to hold that fitness level for the rest of the year.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #348 on: 21 January, 2015, 12:37:54 pm »
I half agree with Wow, but the length of daylight must be a big factor. It is much easier MENTALLY to get out in daylight (plus there are safety issues - gotta spot those gators!)

The post-mortems on the strategies will keep us busy for another 60 years!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #349 on: 21 January, 2015, 01:03:31 pm »
There will always be a ‘rivalry element’. The Ryder cup was supposed to be a friendly golf match.

As long as we don’t tax him on the tea he’s drinking.  ;)
Has anyone approached The tea people for support for TG, they seemed to like cycling last year.  :thumbsup:

Watching the videos of Kurt is obvious his main support is his wife, who is tracking him daily at the moment. she's going to have to be as mentally strong as he is to cope with that for a full year.