Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450669 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #550 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:38:25 pm »
I thought he looked a bit testy in one of the videos - the one that the fork didn't snap and he was going on about the 12th day of Christmas!

I get the impression from other videos that he has a dry SOH. He seemed in good spirits when he stopped with the broken tri-bar today

hillbilly

« Reply #551 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:36:47 am »
Tarzan's ride had 40% more climb than Steve yesterday.  I look forward to the inevitable comments that claim Kurt is taking unfair advantage from cycling downhill more.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #552 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:47:37 am »
Tarzan's ride had 40% more climb than Steve yesterday.  I look forward to the inevitable comments that claim Kurt is taking unfair advantage from cycling downhill more.

Lolol ;D

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #553 on: 26 January, 2015, 09:53:51 am »

No, just looks like it's you posting that.

H

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #554 on: 26 January, 2015, 09:56:43 am »
Kurt is taking unfair advantage from cycling downhill more.

::-)

;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #555 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:14:02 am »
So he now has:

1. A support vehicle [with attractive driver]
2. A recumbent
3. The sunshine
4. Flat terrain
5...and now he has the downhill advantage as well.

as opposed to pour old TG who has

1 No support vehicle [with no attractive driver]
2 Same old heavy crappy steel bikes
3 Rain, cold and frozen bidons
4 Hills all over the place
5 Disadvantage of going up hill all the time
6.....and a back pocket full of squashed slabs of cheese and a dozen pork sasuages !

Those rules need some sorting out.
Garry Broad

« Reply #556 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:23:29 am »
7. More than double the number of vehicles per road km.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #557 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:28:57 am »
The year record could be the new hour record: now that the UCI have stopped demanding you race the hour on a bike from 1970, the UMCA should start insisting you ride the year on a bike from 1940.

Yes?

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #558 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:29:48 am »

The 'drag' from passing vehicles is an advantage in a time trial ;)

« Reply #559 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:38:35 am »

The 'drag' from passing vehicles is an advantage in a time trial ;)

That's IF they successfully pass.

hillbilly

« Reply #560 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:27:23 am »
Kurt is taking unfair advantage from cycling downhill more.

::-)

;)

:D

You should work in the movie poster industry.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #561 on: 26 January, 2015, 01:01:59 pm »
The year record could be the new hour record: now that the UCI have stopped demanding you race the hour on a bike from 1970, the UMCA should start insisting you ride the year on a bike from 1940.

Yes?
I think there should be a vintage section of all records.
Getting there...

TGS

« Reply #562 on: 26 January, 2015, 01:11:11 pm »
So he now has:

2. A recumbent
3. The sunshine
4. Flat terrain

6.....and a back pocket full of squashed slabs of cheese and a dozen pork sasuages !

It would probably help if Steve's frame broke and had to be repaired in some remote Welsh town  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #563 on: 26 January, 2015, 01:19:48 pm »
Video just appeared on FB showing a bust derailleur, and him changing to the recumbent.

He's not having a lot of luck mechanically.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #564 on: 26 January, 2015, 01:37:41 pm »
I wonder how much time he spent researching the appropriate kit for the job in hand?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #565 on: 26 January, 2015, 01:41:28 pm »
Video just appeared on FB showing a bust derailleur

I'm beginning to feel rather sorry for TZ with all his equipment failures. I guess now is the time for the follow vehicle to show how useful it can be. I suspect if TG had those kinds of issues, and mentioned it on yacf, people might appear quite quickly to lend him another bike and fix it.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #566 on: 26 January, 2015, 01:53:49 pm »
Video just appeared on FB showing a bust derailleur

I'm beginning to feel rather sorry for TZ with all his equipment failures. I guess now is the time for the follow vehicle to show how useful it can be. I suspect if TG had those kinds of issues, and mentioned it on yacf, people might appear quite quickly to lend him another bike and fix it.

The value of the support vehicle is reduced by the driver not having (i imagine) any mechanical ability, his costs are mounting up big time.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #567 on: 26 January, 2015, 01:56:41 pm »
the bike failures are certainly unwelcome, but his attitute is not really helping either. why become upset about the stuff that's already happened? the team will sort it out while he's riding another bike.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #568 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:04:14 pm »
So he now has:

2. A recumbent
3. The sunshine
4. Flat terrain

It would probably help if Steve's frame broke and had to be repaired in some remote Welsh town  ;)

As long as he fixes it himself and doesn't ask for anyone to pump the bellows - you have no idea as to what beveridge the blacksmith had with his evening meal ;)

simonp

« Reply #569 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:04:42 pm »
I guess that's a lot of failures in a short time but over what distance? High end kit may well be more fragile than more basic equipment. Tarzan may well be hard on his bikes as well. He dropped the bike with the broken stem when it was being shown on video.

« Reply #570 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:06:36 pm »
the bike failures are certainly unwelcome, but his attitute is not really helping either.

Up until today, he's always seemed pretty cheerful to me. Let's hope he doesn't have a mechanical on the bent, otherwise he'll have to resort to the emergency strida he keeps under the seats (probably).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #571 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:09:58 pm »
I wonder how much time he spent researching the appropriate kit for the job in hand?

I guess that's a lot of failures in a short time but over what distance? High end kit may well be more fragile than more basic equipment. Tarzan may well be hard on his bikes as well. He dropped the bike with the broken stem when it was being shown on video.

I was wondering the same thing, whether it's at least partly down to how hard he is riding... but on the other hand he's a very experienced ultra-distance cyclist, so he should have a reasonable idea of what kind of punishment the kit is capable of taking.

Mostly just bad luck, surely?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #572 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:15:30 pm »
I suspect Kurt's bikes have done a fair mileage up till now, considering he rode RAAM and associated events on them. The lightest current kit doesn't have the legendary toughness or durability of older pro-level equipment. Together with some bad luck, his run of breakages isn't hugely surprising. Not many folk check steerer tubes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #573 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:19:11 pm »
The value of the support vehicle is reduced by the driver not having (i imagine) any mechanical ability,

Are you basing that on anything? I'd have reckoned from her involvement in a RAAM attempt and taking this on, that she'd have a reasonable amount of mechanical nous  - including knowing what to hand off to a bike shop.

« Reply #574 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:22:34 pm »
I suspect Kurt's bikes have done a fair mileage up till now,

I suspect this is the case, my reading is that Kurt has just taken his normal competition bikes out of the garage and ridden them.

Steve has been fortunate that his sponsors (Raleigh) etc. have provided him with new kit from the start and a good supply of replacement parts to keep up with maintenance. Steve has also chosen to use heavier but more resilient materials as he fears fork / steerer failures.

So far this is paying off, but the test will come once Steve's kit reaches the mileage that Kurt's already has on it.