Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450481 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #650 on: 28 January, 2015, 11:30:36 pm »
Great video. There have been days when he looks completely pissed off. He looks in great spirits there :-)

LMT

« Reply #651 on: 28 January, 2015, 11:42:58 pm »
If only Kurt had his bent legs as well. With the good conditions he has and pan flat roads he'd crank out 250 mile days easy.

Given that Kurt's Bacchetta has a lower drag profile than his upright, given the conditions and the terrain, then I'd have thought that to be highly possible. Not many of us get to ride bents for any length of time in those kind of conditions - roads normally starts going up at some point :-). Where Kurt is at the moment, it's recumbent paradise out there. Where Steve is ?....nah, not such an obvious choice.

It just goes to show what kind of athlete Kurt is though, because looking at how he was riding that recumbent first of all, he didn't look that great, but he seems to be doing perfectly ok now!

I'd love to see how his heart rates compare between the two bikes.

Now I have a HR monitor I'm giving this some serious thought comparing the bent to the upright. There's a very nice 1k drag close to me which averages at just under 4%. Going to try and compare going at various speeds and all out. Watch this space...

« Reply #652 on: 28 January, 2015, 11:44:28 pm »
He's over 240 miles now.... respect!

« Reply #653 on: 29 January, 2015, 12:07:29 am »
Looks like Kurt might have stopped for the day. Tracker says 247 miles, so presumably he made his 250. That's quite a day's riding - all at speed too.

« Reply #654 on: 29 January, 2015, 12:36:46 am »

"Hey Kurt, where the hell are ya? The missus and me has burnt through five whole packets of cigarettes and three bottles of whisky sitting at the bar all day worried about you riding that stupid god awful recumbent all over the place.
Got Tommy's bike here with me now. Had it shipped over specially for you coming down. She's a beaut. You're gonna love riding it. Hey Kurt, don't know if you've seen the papers, but they're all getting really mad at you over in England. This guy Toothwinder's really got 'em singing. We can't afford another war you know? 
Hey?.....what did you say?.....yeah, yeah ok....I hear you.....alright we'll be in the bar, we ain't moving, see you down there."
Garry Broad

« Reply #655 on: 29 January, 2015, 12:38:57 am »
;D

I hope it's not like the movie Key Largo for him. Hurricanes, mobsters and Edward G Robinson - mechanicals would be the least of his worries.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #656 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:08:22 am »
2.  Why isn't recumbent the weapon of choice for this sort of riding?

I'm quite surprised it's allowed when you consider that most USA endurance cycling events (RAAM, and other 500-mile and 24-hour TTs) restrict riders to uprights. I had a look through the UMCA rules for a few of their other events and challenges and those always make a separate class for recumbents. Just not for HAM'R. Perhaps we should introduce Teethgrinder to Mike Burrows  :demon:

The results section of RAAM's webby SCIENCE sucks donkey balls but when Barbara Buatois finished about eighteen hours ahead of the nearest upright lady in 2010 AFAIK she was credited with the outright win as well as the recumbent class one.

She has yet to make good on her threat to ride RAAM fully-faired though chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #657 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:23:30 am »
I had a look this morning at Kurt's ride on Strava, from Polk City, and I've had Polk Salad Annie going round my head most of the day :thumbsup:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fRF24LY5pvw

I've got a similar thing going on with 'Raleigh' for Steve, 'Promised Land' is one, I like the Johnnie Allan version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG8rG9RhnhY

'Night Train' by James Brown is another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AckXD0Rl6vw&list=RDAckXD0Rl6vw#t=16

hillbilly

« Reply #658 on: 29 January, 2015, 04:57:57 am »
Intimidating riding.  Exactly what he needs to be doing, to try and break Steve's resolve.  Steve and his team just need to ride out the storm, focussing on their own plan and ignoring Kurt as much as possible.  But by golly, two days of serious intent right there for all to see.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #659 on: 29 January, 2015, 05:35:15 am »
https://www.strava.com/activities/247564434 >400km in < 13 hours elapsed. Sure, tailwind, sure all downhill.  It'd still be the highlight of my cycling career to thump out just that one day, never mind the other 364 days.
It'll be really interesting to see how far this can go if he starts increasing the hours on the bike too...

« Reply #660 on: 29 January, 2015, 05:56:27 am »
Stunning ride. Av. heartbeat less than 100. Looks like the biggest hills of the day were the bridges!

« Reply #661 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:43:06 am »
Intimidating riding.  Exactly what he needs to be doing, to try and break Steve's resolve.  Steve and his team just need to ride out the storm, focussing on their own plan and ignoring Kurt as much as possible.  But by golly, two days of serious intent right there for all to see.

Yes, however still eleven months to go and even if Kurt pulls well ahead a lot could happen;just so important Steve concentrate on HIS riding v Tommy G and not get distracted so early on by Kurts riding.

AFAIK Steve is attempting the TG year record, not a competition with Tarzan ?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #662 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:19:13 am »
A chap I knew years ago got his golf handicap down on the ‘gentlest’ course in the area. He bragged about his single figure.
When he played the course my buddies and I played, we blew him out the water.

Think on that, Kurt.

red marley

« Reply #663 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:24:55 am »
^--- There's friendly rivalry and then there's just mean spirited sniping. 400k in under 13 hours is impressive in any conditions. It's extraordinary after 3 weeks of 300km days with another 49 weeks to go.

hillbilly

« Reply #664 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:39:01 am »
Many of us have, or do, struggle to get around 200km in that time.  One of those rides when you realise how mediocre your own efforts are.  I got the same sense when Hoppo did an Easter Dart (12 hr solo) and rode 360km.  My arrow team rode the same distance in 22 hours or so.

Tarzan earned his supersized Big Mac meal yesterday.

:D

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #665 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:39:13 am »
^--- There's friendly rivalry and then there's just mean spirited sniping. 400k in under 13 hours is impressive in any conditions. It's extraordinary after 3 weeks of 300km days with another 49 weeks to go.

Bloody right.

I've managed 300k in 13 hours but 400k of any route in that time is very impressive.  :o

Chapeau!

H

« Reply #666 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:04:52 am »
Impressive from Kurt.  At ~350m elevation over 400km, that's at least 4x less lumpy than Steve's 1550m over 370km though...   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hillbilly

« Reply #667 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:20:26 am »
I rode more climbing than that on my 20 mile post commute ride yesterday  :smug:

LMT

« Reply #668 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:25:02 am »
Well done Kurt. It's been shown that he may well have a response when BST comes and Steve starts to crank out the longer days and mileage. This has jyst gotten even more interestimg!

As for some of the comments after what was an awesome burn if his average HR was 100. ::-)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #669 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:34:15 am »

Bloody right.

I've managed 300k in 13 hours but 400k of any route in that time is very impressive.  :o

Chapeau!

H

+1  The fastest 400k Audax I've been involved in is the first 400k of the Mille Miglia, ridden mostly in chaingangs on pan flat roads, where the only hills were river and motorway bridges.  I think the fastest AUKers went got ot the 400k control at 14hr 30.  Kurt also got to 400k quicker than I did on my best 24Hr TT.  It ain't a shoddy performance.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #670 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:47:24 am »
A chap I knew years ago got his golf handicap down on the ‘gentlest’ course in the area. He bragged about his single figure.

Think on that, Kurt.

Think on this - there has been no bragging. He's done all his talking on the bike. He's too experienced an athlete to know how things can change.

Also, something else to think about - what Kurt did yesterday, it's Steve's intention to ride that distance, and more, every day for weeks later on in the year. That's the magnitude of the challenge for anybody taking part. Always was.
Garry Broad

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #671 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:48:10 am »

Think on that, Kurt.

Why should he? He's not playing golf...!

He has some advantages just now, and he's playing to them - as he should. When Florida starts heating up - and it will quite soon - and then later starts chucking enormous thunderstorms at him, Steve will (eventually!) have the advantage of the UK's far more benevolent summer. But, whatever the circumstances, that was a mighty impressive day's ride!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #672 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:48:48 am »
I've been wondering what he'll do when the hurricane season reaches Florida.  Move over to Tornado Alley?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #673 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:18:23 am »

+1  The fastest 400k Audax I've been involved in is the first 400k of the Mille Miglia, ridden mostly in chaingangs on pan flat roads, where the only hills were river and motorway bridges.  I think the fastest AUKers went got ot the 400k control at 14hr 30.  Kurt also got to 400k quicker than I did on my best 24Hr TT.  It ain't a shoddy performance.

250 miles is a big number to keep the scorecard ticking over rapidly and Kurt has found the right conditions to be able to do it so he deserves the points and the congratulations.  I was more impressed by the heartrate below 100, which suggests he did it without taking too much out of himself, so he may be able to do it again today. 
I recall Kurt has done a similar distance in a 12-hour TT, when he wouldn't have had net wind assistance.  But a UK audax, or even a long TT, are not the right comparisons, not because the riding is far harder, but because we generally do them at a pace that is not sustainable for day after day. 

simonp

« Reply #674 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:51:01 am »
100bpm? That's rubbish, I averaged 161 on the way to work yesterday and I wasn't even trying!