Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 452491 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #850 on: 02 February, 2015, 12:53:56 pm »
He must like that stretch of road. He's been up and down it about 6 times so far, according to the tracker.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LMT

« Reply #851 on: 02 February, 2015, 01:35:47 pm »
I really don't get all this "recumbents aren't bicycles" stuff.  Leaving aside that that's very often untrue, why pick out a certain set of geometries for special persecution,

It's just continuing the UCI's persecution I think: started in what, the 30s, so there's clearly no reason for it not to continue.

That aside, given the different characteristics of recumbents vs DF bikes, treating them as different classes, as with tandems or trikes, is scarcely unreasonable. But given the UMCA hasn't done so for this record, sniping about Kurt using one is just about as unworthy as sniping about him riding in Florida or using personal support.
The main reason that recumbents have a different category of racing is that they have different riding and aerodynamic characteristics. They are hard to climb with because of the muscle groups used and you are not able to use your weight. On the flat they can be much faster because the force of wind resisting a rider is proportional to the square of the speed and the largest factor is the frontal area. This is why tri bars are popular and one of the two reasons why Steve is using them (the other been comfort). Kurt has access to large very flat lands and a recumbent could provide a significant speed advantage. Personally I think it was a mistake to allow recumbents to be included in the record attempt. But I am not on the committee that decided the rules.

Link that explains wind resistance http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/aero/formulas.htm

BB

Wrong.
http://members.home.nl/vd.kraats/recumbent/pedal.html#Pedal pressure by leg weight

And for whose advocating the 'purist' approach when will I expect to see Steve running a three gear 40lb bike?

LMT

« Reply #852 on: 02 February, 2015, 01:41:51 pm »
I really don't get all this "recumbents aren't bicycles" stuff.  Leaving aside that that's very often untrue, why pick out a certain set of geometries for special persecution,

It's just continuing the UCI's persecution I think: started in what, the 30s, so there's clearly no reason for it not to continue.

That aside, given the different characteristics of recumbents vs DF bikes, treating them as different classes, as with tandems or trikes, is scarcely unreasonable. But given the UMCA hasn't done so for this record, sniping about Kurt using one is just about as unworthy as sniping about him riding in Florida or using personal support.

It all started with the hour record getting smashed by a guy on a recumbent and ended with a corrupt UCI being lobbied by the DF bike market. The rest is history which is a real shame because if recumbents were to become mainstream the advances that could be made with developments by the big bike companies regarding human ergonomics and kinetics could be ten fold. Cycling really would become a pleasure rather than trying to cure various aches and pains after x amount of miles.

« Reply #853 on: 02 February, 2015, 01:43:19 pm »
They are hard to climb with because of the muscle groups used and you are not able to use your weight.

Wrong.

I thought that was true(ish) if you're coming at it from a DF-rider perspective: different muscles, different techniques, and a fair bit of adaptation needed. 'Course, it might be foolish to try and make the comparison before you've got yourself accustomed ...

And for whose advocating the 'purist' approach when will I expect to see Steve running a three gear 40lb bike?

Be fair: he'd be allowed four gears (at least for the latter half of the year), and it was reported as being closer to 30lb than 40 ...

LMT

« Reply #854 on: 02 February, 2015, 01:50:16 pm »
They are hard to climb with because of the muscle groups used and you are not able to use your weight.

Wrong.

I thought that was true(ish) if you're coming at it from a DF-rider perspective: different muscles, different techniques, and a fair bit of adaptation needed. 'Course, it might be foolish to try and make the comparison before you've got yourself accustomed ...

Be fair: he'd be allowed four gears (at least for the latter half of the year), and it was reported as being closer to 30lb than 40 ...

I stand corrected.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #855 on: 02 February, 2015, 01:53:52 pm »
Steve's bike is not far short of 30lb loaded anyway.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #856 on: 02 February, 2015, 02:01:47 pm »
Good going if it's under, I'd have thought: loaded, my audax bike's knocking on 40 ... (38ish I think, though admittedly that's with full bottles and I carry too much crap. Nothing like the electronic array he has, though.)

« Reply #857 on: 02 February, 2015, 02:10:03 pm »
though his tale of getting stuck inbetween a wagon and its trailer, and having to hammer on for about ten miles along the A1 with the connecting chain slapping alongside him until he could escape - I always found that a little implausible.
It was known to happen.
Plugging away into headwind, lorry starts to overtake, sprint like mad as the back wheels pass and pull across into the slipstream as the back of the lorry goes past, only to find the towbar/chains for the trailer. If the driver pulls back into the edge at this point, having checked his mirror and not seen you, you would be stuck, waiting for a wide side road, layby, or the driver to drift out on a right-hand bend. Either that or just ride off the edge of the road.

« Reply #858 on: 02 February, 2015, 02:30:19 pm »
though his tale of getting stuck inbetween a wagon and its trailer, and having to hammer on for about ten miles along the A1 with the connecting chain slapping alongside him until he could escape - I always found that a little implausible.
It was known to happen.
Plugging away into headwind, lorry starts to overtake, sprint like mad as the back wheels pass and pull across into the slipstream as the back of the lorry goes past, only to find the towbar/chains for the trailer. If the driver pulls back into the edge at this point, having checked his mirror and not seen you, you would be stuck, waiting for a wide side road, layby, or the driver to drift out on a right-hand bend. Either that or just ride off the edge of the road.

Apologies in advance, but ever since Deano mentioned this yesterday, the only person I can see in this scenario peddling like the clappers to keep up...is Norman Wisdom. In black and white too.
How do you remove images from the mind?
Amusing tale though.
Garry Broad

« Reply #859 on: 02 February, 2015, 02:32:13 pm »

Wrong.

A Raleigh Record Ace could weigh as little as 19 and a half pounds in Road Racing trim, obviously heavier with a 4 speed hub. Seeing Tarzan on the current Raleigh USA Record Ace would be interesting.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/286349/29241061/in/album/589379

Nice article about the RRA.
http://www.ipernity.com/blog/286349/633421

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #860 on: 02 February, 2015, 02:42:28 pm »
I apologise for adding any fuel to the fire of recumbent debate.

Can we pleeeease talk about something else now? Let me think ...

How old is this "Alicia"?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #861 on: 02 February, 2015, 02:43:35 pm »
Perhaps a couple of these diversions could be sliced off into their own threads?

« Reply #862 on: 02 February, 2015, 06:38:05 pm »
It was known to happen.

Apologies in advance, but ever since Deano mentioned this yesterday, the only person I can see in this scenario peddling like the clappers to keep up...is Norman Wisdom. In black and white too.
How do you remove images from the mind?
Amusing tale though.

Nope.

A dim bloke in a rain mac and a beret screaming " Ohhh Betty!"

« Reply #863 on: 02 February, 2015, 07:46:17 pm »
;D

Nah, Bunbury's the Frank Spencer of cycling. I gave him that title years ago.

« Reply #864 on: 02 February, 2015, 07:47:07 pm »
It was known to happen.

I should probably give him the benefit of the doubt - but his stories do get taller as the years go by :)

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #865 on: 02 February, 2015, 07:55:22 pm »
It was known to happen.

I should probably give him the benefit of the doubt - but his stories do get taller as the years go by :)

In my misspent youth I got a right rollicking from a police officer, after he pulled in the lorry I was draughting behind for doing 42 in a 30 zone. As a callow 19 year old I was 'well chuffed'

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #866 on: 02 February, 2015, 11:30:18 pm »

In my misspent youth I got a right rollicking from a police officer, after he pulled in the lorry I was draughting behind for doing 42 in a 30 zone. As a callow 19 year old I was 'well chuffed'

Was Peter Yates watching?  That's almost what happens in Breaking Away (except IIRC the truck was doing 60)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LMT

« Reply #867 on: 03 February, 2015, 01:21:31 am »
Another 200+ day and a sly dig made in the latest fb video.

« Reply #868 on: 03 February, 2015, 06:55:08 am »
Another 200+ day and a sly dig made in the latest fb video.

at least it's properly uploaded now, as two different sections.

« Reply #869 on: 03 February, 2015, 08:52:02 am »
A sly dig at what / whom ?

paul851

« Reply #870 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:22:24 am »
My impression is it was a dig at his detractors on Strava etc , most days their seem to be comments about how flat Florida is , how warm Florida is and how easy Kurt is having it compared to Steve , as if doing 200+ miles a day is easy  ::-)  .

Paul

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #871 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:30:40 am »
Having ridden the Mille Miglia and quite a few other brevets at 200 miles a day, it isn't particularly difficult but doing it for weeks on end and in discouraging weather certainly is.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #872 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:42:04 am »
My impression is it was a dig at his detractors on Strava etc , most days their seem to be comments about how flat Florida is , how warm Florida is and how easy Kurt is having it compared to Steve , as if doing 200+ miles a day is easy  ::-)  .

Paul

Shame, he seems to have attracted the trolls.

paul851

« Reply #873 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:45:13 am »
Having ridden the Mille Miglia and quite a few other brevets at 200 miles a day, it isn't particularly difficult but doing it for weeks on end and in discouraging weather certainly is.

I fully agree but the negative comments must grate somewhat when you're out every day putting in the miles .

Paul

edit for spelling

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #874 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:52:01 am »
No need for that kind of thing.  Glad Kurt is treating it with his usual good humour.
Getting there...