Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450585 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1100 on: 12 February, 2015, 07:09:26 am »
truly bizarre that he's carrying a backpack  ???

I think it's a Camelbag.
You can pack lots of calories in 3  litres of energy drink (5 or 6 bidons) ....
..... Kurt's modus operandi is not to stop very much so it makes sense for his style of riding - would be uncomfortable on his bent though ...

Leo

« Reply #1101 on: 12 February, 2015, 07:34:44 am »
truly bizarre that he's carrying a backpack  ???

I think it's a Camelbag.

The Camelbak really comes into its own when the heat is on. When I rode PAC tour and temps were in the high nineties every day, we used to fill them with ice rather than water. The ambient heat meant that the ice melted thus ensuring a continuous supply of cold water to drink. I think the cooling effect of this on your inner core was arguable more important that the hydrationary effect.

« Reply #1102 on: 12 February, 2015, 07:37:19 am »
+1 on LeoW

On the flat, mass of the vehicle only becomes a disadvantage during acceleration from low to higher velocity. If the vehicle’s frontal area is kept similar and constant velocity is maintained, a little extra mass can be advantageous when drive is ceased, to maintain momentum.

Kurt doesn’t intend to stop very often. He aims to maintain a steady velocity on the flat of Florida and not need to accelerate too much, so a few pounds won’t bother him.

LMT

« Reply #1103 on: 12 February, 2015, 12:58:37 pm »
More than 500 miles up on Steve on a LFL basis. Looking forward to what he can do at Sebring.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1104 on: 12 February, 2015, 02:01:38 pm »
I think it's a Camelbag.
You can pack lots of calories in 3  litres of energy drink (5 or 6 bidons) ....
..... Kurt's modus operandi is not to stop very much so it makes sense for his style of riding - would be uncomfortable on his bent though ...

Nahh, hydration bags work better on 'bents than on uprights, as you can sensibly attach them to the bike (rear rack or back of the seat is usual) rather than your back.  Also, if you can arrange for the tube to run in the shadow of the seat, the airflow will cool a tube-full (which is about a mouthful) at a time back down to ambient temperature (rather than hydration-bag-in-the-sun temperature).

« Reply #1105 on: 12 February, 2015, 02:18:32 pm »
More than 500 miles up on Steve on a LFL basis. Looking forward to what he can do at Sebring.

It should be a big day if he finds fast riders to work with. I also fully expect him to keep riding after the 12hr time limit is up.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1106 on: 13 February, 2015, 10:48:50 am »
I note Kurt had a bit of excitement yesterday when his heart rate briefly peaked at 186bpm. Anyone know what brought that on? Did he actually find the one hill in Florida or something? Trying to escape a hungry gator perhaps?

Still below 100bpm average for the day though. Which is staggering.

Do we know Kurt and/or Steve's resting HR?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1107 on: 13 February, 2015, 12:40:11 pm »
We should see the first of Kurt's 'rest days' today, in preparation for Sebring tomorrow (not up yet at time of posting). However, given his phenomenal performance so far, and that his average heart rate is often <100 whilst comfortably turning out 200 miles, maybe it won't be so different to normal!

Any guesses? 100, 150, 200...? I'm assuming he'll try to keep his average across the weekend the same or slightly up on his daily average.

« Reply #1108 on: 13 February, 2015, 02:01:26 pm »
Well he hasn't started today yet so I think you're probably right about the rest day.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1109 on: 13 February, 2015, 02:16:28 pm »
We should see the first of Kurt's 'rest days' today, in preparation for Sebring tomorrow (not up yet at time of posting). However, given his phenomenal performance so far, and that his average heart rate is often <100 whilst comfortably turning out 200 miles, maybe it won't be so different to normal!

Any guesses? 100, 150, 200...? I'm assuming he'll try to keep his average across the weekend the same or slightly up on his daily average.

I think he's a competitive guy, its in his bones, and he will be going for it in a big way.
He has a 500 mile buffer over Steve on like for like time, and the world (well YACF, the Germans and the Aussies) are watching him.
I predict a new record and a very short or full day off in celebration.  :o

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1110 on: 13 February, 2015, 02:49:34 pm »
Tarzan moves!

So - what sort of "rest day" awaits... 100 miles? 150 miles? a mere 200?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1111 on: 13 February, 2015, 02:50:04 pm »
Tarzan moves!

So - what sort of "rest day" awaits... 100 miles? 150 miles? a mere 200?

I see what you did there  :thumbsup:

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #1112 on: 13 February, 2015, 04:18:02 pm »
While out yesterday - I was thinking about Tarzan - and the team's expectation that he would not complete the year - pressure getting to him.

BUT - I have a feeling that with his new partner - his thought processes will change and he has a reason to show her - exactly who is king of the jungle --

I am beginning to think that Tarzan will go all year - and the desire to show off to Alicia - is going to give Steve a hell of a challenge.

Roger
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1113 on: 13 February, 2015, 04:49:36 pm »
That could be true. However, a new relationship is untested and Alicia might wake up one morning and say to herself "What am I doing here?"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1114 on: 13 February, 2015, 05:07:54 pm »
From reading Steve's various ride reports over the years, it always does seem to have been about pain management, medical conditions etc. boils/abscesses, bloody stools etc.

We're only about a 10th of the way in. It won't take much to knock someone out for a few days, food poisoning, saddle sores etc. Think about how run down your immune system will be. I get acne after a 600, I have no idea what shape I'll be in after a month, 2 months  continuously on the bike etc. It's all unknown territory.

hillbilly

« Reply #1115 on: 13 February, 2015, 06:35:14 pm »
pain management, medical conditions etc. boils/abscesses, bloody stools etc.

Audax UK has its new slogan for recruiting new members right there.

LMT

« Reply #1116 on: 13 February, 2015, 06:45:57 pm »
While out yesterday - I was thinking about Tarzan - and the team's expectation that he would not complete the year - pressure getting to him.

BUT - I have a feeling that with his new partner - his thought processes will change and he has a reason to show her - exactly who is king of the jungle --

I am beginning to think that Tarzan will go all year - and the desire to show off to Alicia - is going to give Steve a hell of a challenge.

Roger

Why would he not complete the year? Burnout?

Not likely, his HR is about the same as Steve's, but Kurt is being smart, utilising a brute of a diesel engine, tailwinds and keeping a constant power output is what is keeping Tarzan ahead of the game.

I don't think there is any desire to show off to Alicia, Kurt is riding his own ride and Alicia knows he'll make history and she can say I was there so there is no chance of her bailing.

As a side note I've noticed Steve taking in a lot more of the Fens over the last few days, it's good that he has taken on board my advice on how he can improve on his strategy for achieving his goal.

If you want me on the team FB, just say. I'd be happy to work pro bono. ;D

LMT

« Reply #1117 on: 13 February, 2015, 06:50:41 pm »
I reckon about 100 'easy' miles for the day and then bed. Start time for Sebring is 0630hrs, with check in from 0500hrs. So only another few hours riding if he wants his 12 hours rest.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1118 on: 13 February, 2015, 07:05:49 pm »
As a side note I've noticed Steve taking in a lot more of the Fens over the last few days, it's good that he has taken on board my advice on how he can improve on his strategy for achieving his goal.

In the interests of balancing out the contest,  I've written to tarzan with an unreserved endorsement of your skills and knowledge,  LMT.

I hope he can find space for you in his motor-home -  it would make everyone happy.

(Except possibly Alicia ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1119 on: 13 February, 2015, 07:14:37 pm »
;D

He'd be better off with IronOx.

LMT

« Reply #1120 on: 13 February, 2015, 07:16:43 pm »

In the interests of balancing out the contest,  I've written to tarzan with an unreserved endorsement of your skills and knowledge,  LMT.

I hope he can find space for you in his motor-home -  it would make everyone happy.

(Except possibly Alicia ... )

Many thanks Matt but I don't think he needs my help, besides which there is the hassle of getting a Visa, packing and what not.

I will say this though - Go Tarzan.

« Reply #1121 on: 13 February, 2015, 07:18:10 pm »
Why would Steve want a saboteur in the team, a viper in the nest?   :)

« Reply #1122 on: 13 February, 2015, 08:37:45 pm »
Aye, I was about to post "this is not my beautiful house!"

« Reply #1123 on: 13 February, 2015, 09:09:56 pm »
Lots of circuits near Sebring today so presumably he is refreshing his memory of the course.  Doesn't seem to have displayed any significant signs of tiredness over the past month. 

Have you spotted his weak point?  Neither have I :)

Bryn

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1124 on: 13 February, 2015, 09:11:40 pm »
Lots of circuits near Sebring today so presumably he is refreshing his memory of the course.  Doesn't seem to have displayed any significant signs of tiredness over the past month. 

Have you spotted his weak point?  Neither have I :)

Bryn

Several, actually.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.