Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 452129 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1225 on: 19 February, 2015, 06:09:56 am »
Oh dear....just watched his latest vid on FB where he admits to having a beer. Hope the UMCA din't react too strongly.

« Reply #1226 on: 19 February, 2015, 06:15:57 am »
...and another (minor) crash.

hillbilly

« Reply #1227 on: 19 February, 2015, 07:18:34 am »
He's participating in Strava MTS.  And leading it, with Steve 300km behind.

He hasn't joined the climbing challenge for some reason ;)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1228 on: 19 February, 2015, 08:10:24 am »

« Reply #1229 on: 19 February, 2015, 08:34:53 am »
Quote from that:

"Many enthusiasts in the United States and the UK, of course, see the challenge as a competition between the two cyclists, and want their native bloke to win. But this challenge should transcend the head-to-head competition. We should cheer and support both cyclists. Both men are riding unfathomable miles with completely different approaches."

:thumbsup:

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #1230 on: 19 February, 2015, 08:43:58 am »
Quote from that:

"Many enthusiasts in the United States and the UK, of course, see the challenge as a competition between the two cyclists, and want their native bloke to win. But this challenge should transcend the head-to-head competition. We should cheer and support both cyclists. Both men are riding unfathomable miles with completely different approaches."

:thumbsup:

+many on that

« Reply #1231 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:01:59 am »
It's PBP vs RAAM, not UK vs US. 

The British vs American thing is not at all interesting but the contest between randonneur and ultra-racer is quite fascinating.  There was a quote a few weeks back from someone from RUSA who said that they were behind Steve because they felt he was one of their kind of cyclist.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1232 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:11:24 am »
That looked like a pretty nasty cold sore on Kurt's lip in that video. And as Climberruss mentioned, he has mentioned the dreaded B word.

It's a bloody stupid rule but it will be interesting to see if the UMCA's reaction is as hostile as seems to have been with Steve appearing in a photo with a bottle of wine in the background.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

red marley

« Reply #1233 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:13:05 am »
It's PBP vs RAAM, not UK vs US. 

The British vs American thing is not at all interesting but the contest between randonneur and ultra-racer is quite fascinating.  There was a quote a few weeks back from someone from RUSA who said that they were behind Steve because they felt he was one of their kind of cyclist.

^--- Yes, I put my '+1' behind that. Not interested in national pride but am interested in the styles of participation they represent. And Steve is A Very Nice GuyTM, but for all I know, so is Kurt.

« Reply #1234 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:22:52 am »
Oh dear....just watched his latest vid on FB where he admits to having a beer. Hope the UMCA din't react too strongly.

He popped to the pub for a swift half at lunchtime, and thought the gaffer didn't notice. Then he got a loose tongue.  ;)

« Reply #1235 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:29:04 am »
One thing I really like, is that Steve is riding a bike that Halfords is knocking out at £550 (admittedly he has made some alterations).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1236 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:55:51 am »
One thing I really like, is that Steve is riding a bike that Halfords is knocking out at £550 (admittedly he has made some alterations).

Steve's wheels alone cost more per pair than the off-the-shelf Sojourn.

(Stan's Alpha 400 rims = £240 rrp, Hope Pro 2 EVO rear hub = £155 rrp, front hub = £65 rrp, no idea what spokes he's using)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #1237 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:01:18 am »
So what is the rule about alcohol and the challenge?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1238 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:01:39 am »
In one of the interviews at the start, Steve boasted of setting his 24 hour PB on a 500 pound bike ... and then admitted that he'd been borrowing two grand's worth of carbon Campag Bora wheels from LWaB.

« Reply #1239 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:02:58 am »
That looked like a pretty nasty cold sore on Kurt's lip in that video. And as Climberruss mentioned, he has mentioned the dreaded B word.

It's a bloody stupid rule but it will be interesting to see if the UMCA's reaction is as hostile as seems to have been with Steve appearing in a photo with a bottle of wine in the background.

<not that interested mode>

Wasn't it just various people on this forum that got hot under the collar rather than UMCA?

</back to sleep>

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1240 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:05:58 am »
The alcohol rule can be found here.  It's part of the blanket rules for UMCA records rather than a specific part of the HAMR rules. 

XIV a) The use of alcohol, drugs or controlled substances (except as prescribed by physician) is prohibited. This applies to riders, crew and UMCA officials.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1241 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:07:30 am »

Wasn't it just various people on this forum that got hot under the collar rather than UMCA?

</back to sleep>

I think it was LWaB who pointed out that they had got their knickers in a twist over the wine in the picture. That was what brought the rule to YACF's attention.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1242 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:10:13 am »
In one of the interviews at the start, Steve boasted of setting his 24 hour PB on a 500 pound bike ... and then admitted that he'd been borrowing two grand's worth of carbon Campag Bora wheels from LWaB.

£ or lbs  ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1243 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:11:54 am »
Actually from HK. I don't have any racing wheels in this part of the world and nothing like Boras in any case.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1244 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:17:32 am »
I stand corrected! 

As for the pounds, I'm on a forrin keyboard and can't be bothered to find the Alt code for a pound sign.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1245 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:21:32 am »

</back to sleep>

No. It wasn't.

There was a clarification from the UCMA about it and the thread rightly disappeared. It said something about no alcohol during the attempt. I guess that could be interpreted as during the hours logged as ridden.

It's for the UCMA.
It is simpler than it looks.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #1246 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:23:10 am »
My personal view ......

Alcohol - it was a team member who got over protective about the bottle of wine -  he was familiar with the UMCA rule -- an unnecessary kerfuffle, as Steve was not drinking it  -- although the rule in relation to an annual challenge is foolish - but carried over by default from the RAAM rules - when it is sensible.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #1247 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:23:56 am »
From the article linked upthread:

"Abraham’s attempt at the record is a little harder to follow, as his Facebook page is not as active as Searvogel’s. "

He should come visit here, we seem to know what what cafe or hotel buffet breakfast he is at at anytime.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1248 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:42:49 am »
Good. Facebook is crap.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1249 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:52:04 am »
Good. Facebook is crap.

Maybe some don't like it but Facebook isn't crap. Kurts daily posts and videos on the 'Tarzan rides...' page are a great insight into Kurt's attempt at the year recordHAMR.