Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210753 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #300 on: 02 June, 2015, 08:25:40 am »
Van was parked on double-yellow lines (which I knew were there and hence was not expecting a parked vehicle).

Bit of a rookie mistake, that...  :)
In me defence I plead that I'd ridden that route 5 days a week for over a year. Only a complete idiot would park there, as it is a busy (narrow) road through an industrial estate with very intolerant lorry drivers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #301 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:19:21 am »
http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/13217611.Extreme_road_rage_driver_identified_as_master_butcher_and_owner_of_upmarket_cafes/

Some of you may have posted this already. Cyclist did himself no favours getting into the tirade imo

« Reply #302 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:40:29 am »
http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/13217611.Extreme_road_rage_driver_identified_as_master_butcher_and_owner_of_upmarket_cafes/

Some of you may have posted this already. Cyclist did himself no favours getting into the tirade imo

The two were just as bad as each other, and were the transport modes swapped the outcome would likely have been identical.

« Reply #303 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:45:18 am »
No, I don't think they were; while it's better to be Zen about these things the adrenaline jolt of being driven at by two tons of steel is pretty powerful, and the swearing is IMO not unreasonable. The threats of violence are all coming from the driver.

« Reply #304 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:49:08 am »
That's how we see it.

My point is that arseholes like that driver don't come out of nowhere, and they aren't actually murderous madmen. That cyclist - whilst we are certain is more in the right - imo exhibited an equally uncontrolled disproportionate reaction (and neither actually went for the other, despite the intense goading by the cyclist). The two are not so different.

« Reply #305 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:50:05 am »
No, I don't think they were; while it's better to be Zen about these things the adrenaline jolt of being driven at by two tons of steel is pretty powerful, and the swearing is IMO not unreasonable. The threats of violence are all coming from the driver.
That's the norm. But both parties were egging each on albeit one more violently. Anyway the motorist is receiving some attention on fb and apparently has a naked pic on Twitter!

« Reply #306 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:54:35 am »
Toss-up between the driver who stopped suddenly on the A6, no signals, in the pouring rain, and the driver immediately behind the first (and immediately in front of me) who pulled out to avoid first driver, and then stopped without signalling so they could yell at the first driver for stopping without signalling. And then yelled at me because I nearly rear-ended them. (Keyword: *nearly* - I even managed to stay on the correct side of the road, somehow.)

Driver behind me

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #307 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:03:10 am »

Cyclist didn't shower himself in glory, but it was the driver who lost his shit at the first 'oh come on' exasperated words from the cyclist, then tried to ram the cyclist, stopped and hopped out full of road rage.

The driver isn't competent enough to hold a licence, IMO, needs banning and re-testing.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #308 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:09:25 am »

Just for the hell of it, I went back and looked again. As ever interpreting vids is a mystic art of divination but still.

It looks as if the initial "infringement" was the $x$ (look what happens when you use the shift-4 ;) ) pulling in slightly after overtaking, holding speed with the other cyclists, personally I've had a lot worse and more brown trouser close passes. Still not good, but no worse than a "7" on a 1-10 of London close passing.

It also looks as if the driver was inwardly fuming and looking for trouble because he reacted to the cyclist's shout - had the window open to shout at cyclists? who knows. That demonstrates in my view he deserves anything the old bill could have thrown at him, but looking more at the interaction.

Cyclist goes right into overdrive, calling the driver names with.... enthusiasm. At this stage, the driver hasn't actually combusted. So much enthusiasm though that he is spitting at the driver at 0:48. Unsurprisingly it goes downhill from there.

I wouldn't call the cyclist any names, because he was in the right, but I'm fairly certain in my mind that he's the same kind of human as that knob of a driver.

The driver isn't competent enough to hold a licence, IMO, needs banning and re-testing.

Really wish this could happen

« Reply #309 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:17:44 am »
The cyclist calls the driver names but it is the driver who is making violent threats.

"Sticks and stones" etc.

There is absolutely no justification for threatening to smash someone's teeth in because they called you a 'fucking idiot'.

I'm no angel and in the last 8 months have twice ended up exchanging sweary rants at a driver. If someone physically assaulted me, I'd hit back.

But. The Driver was the only one threatening to assault the cyclist.

He also seems to think that his car being thumped would be something the police would be interested in. that the police would arrest someone for hitting a car with their hand, but wouldn't arrest someone for assault. What A Moron.

[Edit]
I've just watched the initial vid. The driver is utterly at fault, there is very little the cyclist could have done to avoid contacting his car - the driver pulled in on him. In that case I think I would have lost my rag even faster and sooner than the cyclist.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #310 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:29:30 am »
The cyclist calls the driver names but it is the driver who is making violent threats.

"Sticks and stones" etc.

There is absolutely no justification for threatening to smash someone's teeth in because they called you a 'fucking idiot'.

I'm no angel and in the last 8 months have twice ended up exchanging sweary rants at a driver. If someone physically assaulted me, I'd hit back.

But. The Driver was the only one threatening to assault the cyclist.

He also seems to think that his car being thumped would be something the police would be interested in. that the police would arrest someone for hitting a car with their hand, but wouldn't arrest someone for assault. What A Moron.

[Edit]
I've just watched the initial vid. The driver is utterly at fault, there is very little the cyclist could have done to avoid contacting his car - the driver pulled in on him. In that case I think I would have lost my rag even faster and sooner than the cyclist.

But he didn't contact the car.... he just shouted "hey, come on" from where it all kicked off.

And yes, the driver is at fault, and no I am not defending the driver in the slightest, and yes if you and up exchanging sweary rants with drivers, maybe you have  a bit of the same type of character makeup. I'd like to think you were better able to manage it than either of those, though.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #311 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:38:01 am »
The driver drove deliberately close to the cyclist and already had his nearside window open.

Everything else stems from those two actions.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #312 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:39:00 am »
I think he probably put a hand up against the car - he was nearly pushed into the kerb, it would have been difficult not to do so.

There is a bit on roadcc about this that seems to indicate police have had a word and possibly cautioned him.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #313 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:40:27 am »
I must admit I get a bit Sweary after the really close calls, despite usually keeping the lid on things, and I've always marked it down to the adrenaline that's just crashed into my system in fairly short order. Especially in those oh crap this is it moments.

The problem is when that rocks up against someone who is generally an angry person and in control of a motor vehicle, who's subconscious is just looking for a reason to have a pop, I mean it's really difficult to in the moment realise they've had a really bad day at work, dogs run off, wife's moved out, whatever in the moment that your thinking I'm brown bread and accidentally let fly with something that would make an anglo saxon blush.

The only time I've been in a fight in the road is when the chap jumped out the car and was pulling his sleeves up and balling fists and a whole school experience of having the shit kicked out of me by bullies came rushing back and I got in first and hard. Honestly the chap didn't know what do do he just stood there (well lent against his car) and looked like his perception of the world had been ruined. I picked my bike up and walked off to find a coffee and sort of just left him there.

I just wish people would look where they are going.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #314 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:41:55 am »

Just for the hell of it, I went back and looked again. As ever interpreting vids is a mystic art of divination but still.

It looks as if the initial "infringement" was the $x$ (look what happens when you use the shift-4 ;) ) pulling in slightly after overtaking, holding speed with the other cyclists, personally I've had a lot worse and more brown trouser close passes. Still not good, but no worse than a "7" on a 1-10 of London close passing.

It also looks as if the driver was inwardly fuming and looking for trouble because he reacted to the cyclist's shout - had the window open to shout at cyclists? who knows. That demonstrates in my view he deserves anything the old bill could have thrown at him, but looking more at the interaction.

Cyclist goes right into overdrive, calling the driver names with.... enthusiasm. At this stage, the driver hasn't actually combusted. So much enthusiasm though that he is spitting at the driver at 0:48. Unsurprisingly it goes downhill from there.

I wouldn't call the cyclist any names, because he was in the right, but I'm fairly certain in my mind that he's the same kind of human as that knob of a driver.

Really wish this could happen

Come the revolution, motoring incidents will be dealt with by immediate suspension of licence and a re-test, unless the driver can prove they weren't at fault.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #315 on: 02 June, 2015, 01:55:42 pm »
In other news: cyclist decides to pass anti-rat-run barrier on opposite side of road before oncoming Jag gets too close.  Cyclist discovers dropped kerb is nowhere near as dropped as was initially suspected.  Cyclist performs Cirque du Soleil-stylee acrobatics in his attempt to stay out of the way of any marauding South American big cats.

I'm sure that kerb was lower the last time I went that way ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #316 on: 02 June, 2015, 04:59:00 pm »
 ;D

Also:

Mr Wells, who trained as a master butcher, said earlier today: “I would like to apologise for any offence caused. My behaviour was unacceptable and regardless of the situation, I shouldn’t react like that.

“I fully appreciate that cyclists have as much right to the road as any other road users.”

Being pedantic, cyclists actually have more right than landroverdiscoverydrivers.  But wotvhek.
Move Faster and Bake Things

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #317 on: 02 June, 2015, 08:00:58 pm »
That's the norm. But both parties were egging each on albeit one more violently. Anyway the motorist is receiving some attention on fb and apparently has a naked pic on Twitter!

Indeed. The dick of the day appears minuscule.
(click to show/hide)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #318 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:16:56 am »
I don't dare watch it, as it will make my blood boil.

He's a cycling friendly chap though, as he runs workshops from one of his "up market" establishments.

http://brew-cafe.com/unchained-at-brew/

« Reply #319 on: 03 June, 2015, 09:19:38 am »
Unfortunately for him what people will see is not a motorist who has been wronged (he wasn't) but a violent, aggressive man using profanities against a cyclist. Granted the cyclist matches him in terms of swearing but if the motorists friends/family/staff see that video they'll see a man threatening assault and then going on an almost Basil Fawlty rant about cycle lanes etc.

« Reply #320 on: 03 June, 2015, 09:26:40 am »
That would have been me last night.

Down hill approach to a roundabout, exits at 9 and 2 o'clock. I timed my entrance better than the cyclist in front which resulted in passing them on entry as we were both turning right. The problem was the motorist who entered from our left (also turning right), he had seen and judged the speed of the other cyclist well, however not mine and realised he was staring out his drivers window at me to work out what he was doing.

My problem was I was committed to my line. fortunately he slowed up enough to let me past him and exit the roundabout.

« Reply #321 on: 03 June, 2015, 12:02:58 pm »
I think he probably put a hand up against the car - he was nearly pushed into the kerb, it would have been difficult not to do so.

There is a bit on roadcc about this that seems to indicate police have had a word and possibly cautioned him.

The wing mirror makes contact with the cyclist (it gets bent in) - whether this was a result of the cyclists hitting it with his hand or being struck by the vehicle, you can't make out from the video. However, as the driver makes no mention of his vehicle being hit, I'd favour the latter explanation.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #322 on: 03 June, 2015, 12:23:49 pm »
It looks like he's now under "trial by social media".

I bet it's not doing him any good.

« Reply #323 on: 03 June, 2015, 12:41:31 pm »

The wing mirror makes contact with the cyclist (it gets bent in) - whether this was a result of the cyclists hitting it with his hand or being struck by the vehicle, you can't make out from the video. However, as the driver makes no mention of his vehicle being hit, I'd favour the latter explanation.

We all like to be youtube vid detectives, but I think you are reading too much into that, the distortion is as a result of the wide angle, there is no wobble, no sound of impact and the mirror adjustment remains good (you can see the driver), I'd say no contact.

« Reply #324 on: 03 June, 2015, 12:57:17 pm »

We all like to be youtube vid detectives, but I think you are reading too much into that, the distortion is as a result of the wide angle, there is no wobble, no sound of impact and the mirror adjustment remains good (you can see the driver), I'd say no contact.

Watch the original video at 2mins 15secs! Actually, the driver does accuse the cyclist of hitting his car and then adjusts his wing mirror with a push. Contact seems far more likely than not...