Author Topic: Internal farme cabling, a query  (Read 2932 times)

Internal farme cabling, a query
« on: 22 June, 2017, 09:44:12 pm »
having threaded new cable wires, derailleurs and rear brake, through internal frame guides, ie bits of long thin plastic tubing I was told by shop selling frame to remove  the guide tubing by pulling it through.

So now that the guide tubing has been removed how would I be able to replace an inner wire when required?

Whole idea of these internal wires seems a bit of a nonsense and from what I can see virtually impossible to do roadside repair on ??
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Internal farme cabling, a query
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2017, 10:30:27 pm »
Had to cable a Wilier GT a couple of weeks ago. No internal guides and just a 2mm hole above the BB for the cable to exit (JOY!). Ended up using a GBFO magnet to 'pull' the cables into the right position...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2017, 10:43:17 pm »
Whole idea of these internal wires seems a bit of a nonsense and from what I can see virtually impossible to do roadside repair on ??

Surely the inner is guided by the outer and can be replaced in the usual way?  The cable outer is unlikely to fail suddenly, and when it comes to replacing that you can attach the new length to the old one with eg. gaffer tape and pull it through, or use the inner as a guide.

Sure, it's a bit of a faff to work on, but internal routing does protect the cable, and avoids the need for a zillion braze-ons to support the cable on a convoluted frame.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 23 June, 2017, 09:39:41 am »
With many internally routed cables the outer fixes in a blind hole, leaving the bare inner running thru the frame.

It's like trying to push wet spaghetti up a cat's arse . . .  ;D
VELOMANCER

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2017, 11:25:07 am »
a lot of modern frames with internal cable routing are just as stupid and frustrating to fit cables to as suggested above.  [although not having tried it, I'm not sure how it would compare, exactly.... :o]

If you are worried about being able to replace cables more easily it is sometimes possible to fit cable housing liner through the frame in such a way as it can stay there, thus acting as a guide for replacement cables.  However to do this easily and well, it is usually necessary to be able to remove and refit the liner from the housing, which isn't easy with most housings these days.

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2017, 11:27:43 am »
With many internally routed cables the outer fixes in a blind hole, leaving the bare inner running thru the frame.

Who the hell thought that was a good idea?   :facepalm:

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 23 June, 2017, 11:40:10 am »
Cannondale, for one.  That's how the internal routing on my Synapse works - the gear and rear brake cable outers terminate behind the head tube, then the inner wire pass through the DT to a plastic guide inside the BB.  They need some liner material at this point to reduce the friction through the guide, then the rear brake and rear derailleur cables head off down the chainstays to another stop and short length of outer.  Took me the best part of half an hour to fit the rear brake cable first time I replaced it. :facepalm:

I specified external full length outers with cable tied hose guides on my ti bike to avoid any of this faffing about.  It's ugly but functional. :thumbsup:

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2017, 12:33:12 pm »
I know horse has bolted for the OP, but could you tie a bit of thread (fishing line/spare brake/gear cable) to the business end of the cable being replaced before you pull it out, then leave the thread (etc) in place for when the new cable is being fitted? Attach to end of new cable before pulling through.

Would that work?

It's like trying to push wet spaghetti up a cat's arse . . .  ;D
POTD, btw.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2017, 01:04:49 pm »
My Boardman frame has a removable section beneath the bottom bracket to make access and re-cabling nice and easy.  However, with no cable guides the cables can 'slap' against the frame.  Very noisy ride on anything but smooth tarmac, but unbelievably responsive and lightweight frame.  Swings and roundabouts as they say.

Solution to all this cabling faff is to retrofit SRAM E-tap as it is wireless and no cables required!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 23 June, 2017, 01:08:21 pm »
I hate to think how many hours I've spent with my little finger up my Cervelo's bum, trying to eke the cables out.  I've got my technique quite good now but in the beginning, it would probably have been quicker to just remove the BB and thread the cables out from the inside.

« Reply #10 on: 23 June, 2017, 01:15:15 pm »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #11 on: 23 June, 2017, 02:41:07 pm »
Just to add then it looks to fun I`ll have when needing replace inner wires ----having never tried fitting inners on internal routing before I checked with shop (PlanetX) and they said thread wires through guides and then pull out the guides. that worked very well with  rear brake BUT with both front and rear shifters the cable guides jammed after I`d pulled a section through  >:(  :-[
 So now have bits of guide jammed within frame. It may be OK as the wires on BB run outside and there`s a plate over which they run which can be removed so looks as if I could access downtube and chainstays independently. Outer guide still remains on the BB too which I think is a `good thing` rather than have metal cables running in a groove over carbon fibre?

Anyway that`s complication I have for future cable refit  :facepalm: 
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #12 on: 23 June, 2017, 06:49:32 pm »
Either keep the original liners ( that should be taken out) or even better buy some longer lengths of it. Then, when it's time to change cables thread the liner back over the inner cable, and use it as a guide again.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13 on: 23 June, 2017, 11:50:27 pm »
A couple of years ago I had the misfortune to change the rear brake cable on a Fakerello*. The cable guide was so badly formed that working the brake caused the cable to cut into the crossbar.

In other words, using the rear brake was gradually cutting the bike in half.

It all came right in the end, the bloke hit a pothole and the rear triangle snapped.

*Other imitation knock-off frames are available...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #14 on: 24 June, 2017, 07:43:11 am »
I've got full internal cabling on my KTM* and I cant see why you are all making such a silly fuss. Its really easy.

*Di2 and Hydro brakes  :D

« Reply #15 on: 24 June, 2017, 12:19:25 pm »
I've got full internal cabling on my KTM* and I cant see why you are all making such a silly fuss. Its really easy.

I suppose then the issue of a piece of wire breaking won`t arise with that setup !!! Mind you the Di2 batteries could go flat  ;D

« Reply #16 on: 24 June, 2017, 03:40:07 pm »
Then do go flat, and it is easy to get a bit blasé and forget to charge it because the whole system requires no regular maintenance at all. I havent been caught out yet.

« Reply #17 on: 24 June, 2017, 09:45:16 pm »

Can you really describe a bike with hydraulic brakes as "full internal cabling"? ???