Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3888636 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22150 on: 28 October, 2018, 05:24:46 pm »
Local club 100 mile "Falling Leaves Reliability Ride".

Snow on higher ground meant the group leader decided to go only as far as the top of the Lecht, then retrace from there rather than the planned descent into Tomintoul and then back up the far side.  So we were about 10 miles short of 100 miles, and some people did an extra loop at the end to make up the shortfall.  I didn't bother, because I rode to/from the event, and this made up the shortfall for me.

BH1 hill was sketchier than the Lecht, I suppose it gets less priority from the gritters.

All in all, a grand day out, if a little chilly and with some sleet and snow in the last half hour.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1932624687

Falling Leaves RR - Lecht by Veli-Matti Raikkonen, on Flickr

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #22151 on: 28 October, 2018, 05:31:49 pm »
Not surprised there was snow on the Lecht.  It dropped to 2C when the rain entertained us on the CC Basingstoke club run this morning.  Just managed to hold on despite the extra lard added from a few days eating like a lord in Normandy. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22152 on: 28 October, 2018, 06:45:01 pm »
A 30-odd kilometre trundle round some lanes and a little Sustrans roughstuff near Loughborough this afternoon, all four of us on trikes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #22153 on: 29 October, 2018, 02:48:40 pm »
Car being serviced so took the bike to the garage and rode 25 casual miles, with a tea and bacon sandwich stop, while they did it - VERY COLD with a biting wind - but bright sunshine.

Rob

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22154 on: 30 October, 2018, 05:10:06 pm »
About 20 miles on the Moulton (I have a couple of days off).  Cold, blowy and not all that nice.  I need that hard race spring; I like to keep the fork damping at a minimum so it swallows most bumps, but it's much too soft out of the saddle.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #22155 on: 30 October, 2018, 09:50:41 pm »
Alex Moulton was contemptuous of people riding his bikes out of the saddle - "riding like a gorilla"!

Just stay on the saddle and spin  :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22156 on: 30 October, 2018, 09:59:34 pm »
Alex Moulton never actually rode very far or very hard e.g. none of his bikes were designed to carry two bidons. Dan Farrell's designs are much more useable for riders.

I'll stick with doing what actually works for me during 1000+km brevets, including riding out of the saddle and increasing the damping.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22157 on: 31 October, 2018, 10:43:05 am »
I doubt if he ever wore cycling kit, either. The first article I saw about it on early 60's TV presented it as a city runabout.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #22158 on: 31 October, 2018, 05:08:52 pm »
Busy first thing so joined the club run mid-way ... and immediately had a flat - bad news was that I had swapped bags from bike to bike and only had short stem valve spare tubes for a bike with deep-ish section rims. A bit of fiddling and managed to get a pump to get some air in.
Post lunch and about 8 miles from home another flat, same wheel - this time the pump failed completely.
Phone call and my wife (who was at home having conveniently left her job to go into semi-retirement yesterday) hopped in the car to rescue me.
The miles I did manage, about 30, were pleasant on a bright and crisp day in the lanes of South Warwickshire.

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22159 on: 01 November, 2018, 02:07:44 pm »
Did a quick 50 before lunch, in full winter fig and needed it too.  Last 20-odd k were accompanied by rain that went from negligible to heavy in a few minutes.  Once I was home the clouds buggered off and we've had bright sunshine since. Arse.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #22160 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:07:05 pm »
Took the old fixed wheel bike out for a ride today, being as it was nice and sunny in York, and not too windy either. Route out to Wetherby took me through Healaugh and Wighill, before a short diversion through Thorp Arch Trading Estate got me onto the former railway line cycle path to Wetherby. Talk about "Leaf Chutney" central!

I then returned to York by initially heading north up the cycle path alongside the A168 to Walshford, then back to York via Hunsingore, Cattal, Tockwith, Angram and Bilborough.

A very pleasant 51km out and about on the bike, sunshine from start to finish and a pleasant westerly breeze made it reasonably warm for the time of year.

I even remembered to grab a couple of photos of the bike on the bridge over the River Nidd at Walshford.

Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22161 on: 04 November, 2018, 06:29:32 pm »
A recce for an upcoming Origami ride; 30-ish kilometres on Brommies between Watford and Harefield, mostly via Sustrans ex-railway path and well surfaced Great Onion towpath with some quiet roads. Also tested a prospective pub and some abortive routing alternatives. Hopefully the weather next Saturday will be somewhat better than is currently forecast, otherwise some additional road miles will be substituted.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22162 on: 04 November, 2018, 07:14:38 pm »
Out with the CTC for a change, to Churchill, where we had lunch at a pub tucked away up a hilly lane on the edge of the village. Beer out of barrels, great food for cyclists, no cards or wifi, etc. Peter (a different one) tried to tempt us to have the cider apple crumble, but no one had any room. And then we rode home via Clevedon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22163 on: 04 November, 2018, 11:03:58 pm »
Weary today so just a little ride on the Brompton.  About 18 miles round trip Derby to Worthington and back on Route 6 (SUSTRANS). Weather was warm(ish) but slightly damp. However I did not fancy the cafe so found a farmers field with a bit of a grass edge and a good view.   Dinner time Latte on the chair using the Jetboil.   Only one problem with the chair, its takes a lot of getting out of once in, its SOOO comfy you just want to sit back and watch the world go by.   However you can tell its getting colder the sit mat on the chair is now vital to stop a cold bum and the Ti mug needs the cover crochet by my daughter, is a must to stop my drink getting cold too fast. 
 I reflected as I realized that the gas had finally gone out on the Cheap 220grm cylinder for Go Outdoors, I have been using all this year, that it was excellent value.  To big for the Jetboil but Ok when its just in the front bag for normal rides where space and weight is not at a premium and the gas in the normal place is a back up and £3.50 for 220grm vs £4.50 for 1000 grm is a big deal and saves changing cylinders so often .  I brew most rides and I ride twice a week if I can. :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22164 on: 05 November, 2018, 08:17:39 am »
Yesterday: Had planned 80-100k but after the second hill realized I hadn't recovered from a late night so truncated it to 45 via a pâtisserie to pick up choc chip cookies for after-lunch coffee, then headed home into a freshening wind. Definitely did not like the return trip: legs hurt and the wind was punishing. Lunch wasn't: MrsT had laid on meatloaf, sautéed mixed veg & spuds in their jackets. Perfect. Didn't do much after that.

« Reply #22165 on: 05 November, 2018, 03:17:36 pm »
40k on tracks and trails near me. Nice day for it.

« Reply #22166 on: 05 November, 2018, 10:43:07 pm »
Yesterday I ventured out into Yorkshire on a 200km audax permanent route and failed spectacularly by taking a bend far too fast and damaging my thumb and new kit ;(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VfpAP1BrXg
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

essexian

« Reply #22167 on: 06 November, 2018, 07:49:38 am »
An hours worth after work last evening including riding for at least 30 minutes in the total darkness*, not something I do often.

Sights seen.... one mad bat (the flying type) who kept flying at me as I headed out of Church Eaton and loads, and I mean loads of sensible drivers who gave me far more room than they would in the daylight....apart from one van driver who overtook me as I was turning right but then again, that's about par for the course (its happened on the same corner previously).

Perhaps I might try further night riding to see if I can get on with it... it was certainly slower than daylight riding and I stuck to routes I know very well due to potholes.

*This makes it sound like I didn't have any lights on the bike! Moon Nebula front and back plus my Fly6 on the back and a Moon Meteor Storm on the front. The Meteor is one of those..."Ouch my eyes" type of lights on anything higher than setting 2!

« Reply #22168 on: 06 November, 2018, 06:33:57 pm »
Yes. Up and over the ridge, down into the Severn Valley, up the other side. Then back again. On a broken saddle. And I ran out of electrons rather abruptly on the way back - apparently 24 km left didn't apply if it was up hill, with less than normal input from the captain.

Owwwwwww
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #22169 on: 06 November, 2018, 07:18:08 pm »
Went do to a work site visit across the Thames. I was tempted to drive but it would have involved the Blackwall Tunnel at rush hour, and the weather looked ok, and it hardly took any longer than the drive would have done, and I didn't need to arrange parking, and I would have felt like a hypocrite mentioning the air quality issues at the site, and I saw an interesting building on the Isle of Dogs which I wouldn't have seen on the car route, so all in all a win for utility cycling.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22170 on: 08 November, 2018, 08:44:24 am »
Over the hills in brilliant sunshine to my favourite coffee hole, back over lesser hills & a good bit of flat with grey cloud cover sliding in from the west to damp down the fun. Made it home dry, just before dark, and was much gratified when I took the dogs out later to find it tipping down.  85k at a respectable speed, with a good slice of quetsch tart in the middle.

« Reply #22171 on: 08 November, 2018, 08:34:23 pm »
120 mostly off road kilometres today, working my way through some podcasts and ticking off a few veloviewer squares.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #22172 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:37:49 pm »
an interesting building on the Isle of Dogs
Can't be one of those new blocks of flats!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22173 on: 09 November, 2018, 10:25:19 pm »
Trundled the Brommie on the indirect route between Tring station and the Musette Cafe on Thursday evening. The muddy towpath was a real treat before listening to that nice Mr Broadwith natter for a bit. Took the short way back to the station to wait (and wait) for a train homewards, (just missed one, next one cancelled, oh joy).

Ended up doing the last few km home well after midnight, so also qualified as riding the next day. Thanks Southern Rail, just what I wanted.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22174 on: 10 November, 2018, 06:24:18 pm »
Led a 110km ride today. One bloke and one woman from the club. Morning riding was good. A lot more nasty horn tooting than usual.

The trip home from the mid point was really nasty. Had someone full on 10 second horn, got coal rolled, and then one of us was hit by a car. They're having an x Ray right now.

Fuck this country's rotten road culture. Fuming right now.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.