Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517611 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3050 on: 26 April, 2018, 11:41:31 am »

Yes, I imagine our friend at The Crown won't be getting the Employee of the Month t-shirt anytime soon!
I was thinking about this. So it was 10:15 when we were told it was all over, I reckon that was quite potentially 2 rounds of drinks and I also don't think that they would have to sit around for hours for us to finish.

Anyway, to be honest, with a 4:45am start His Royal Grumpiness did me a favour, I was home, fed and asleep at a very reasonable time and didn't have a shower away hangover in the morning which was helpful. It may also have been advantageous for my Gout  ;D

« Reply #3051 on: 26 April, 2018, 11:49:21 am »
Folks, if anyone, like me, is not able to make the G&Y fields this year but fancies a bit of a Gravel/Byway/Bridlepath ColVelo are going out for a 177km Gravel 'epic' from Colchester on the 5th May. It just happens to finish at the Black Buoy in Wivenhoe who just happen to be having their Beer Festival that day. There is also an option to stop at Wivenhoe after 100km when the route passes through there.

Event on Strava

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #3052 on: 26 April, 2018, 12:37:23 pm »
....It just happens to finish at the Black Buoy in Wivenhoe who just happen to be having their Beer Festival that day.....

Event on Strava

And with that, the ACME contingent on the G&Y dropped by at least 50%..... ;)

.I see another Arrivee article on the art of not finishing/starting an audax  ;D

« Reply #3053 on: 26 April, 2018, 12:42:49 pm »
Or at least explaining to others that having a Pub Beer Festival as a potential bail option is really not very clever.

For me, it will entirely depend on how dirty my bike is by that point.  ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3054 on: 26 April, 2018, 12:58:32 pm »
Folks, if anyone, like me, is not able to make the G&Y fields this year but fancies a bit of a Gravel/Byway/Bridlepath ColVelo are going out for a 177km Gravel 'epic' from Colchester on the 5th May. It just happens to finish at the Black Buoy in Wivenhoe who just happen to be having their Beer Festival that day. There is also an option to stop at Wivenhoe after 100km when the route passes through there.

Event on Strava

oooo quite tempted by that.... it solves a problem of having to be in London on Friday conflicting with G&Y start time.....
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3055 on: 26 April, 2018, 01:05:48 pm »

Yes, I imagine our friend at The Crown won't be getting the Employee of the Month t-shirt anytime soon!
I was thinking about this. So it was 10:15 when we were told it was all over, I reckon that was quite potentially 2 rounds of drinks and I also don't think that they would have to sit around for hours for us to finish.

Anyway, to be honest, with a 4:45am start His Royal Grumpiness did me a favour, I was home, fed and asleep at a very reasonable time and didn't have a shower away hangover in the morning which was helpful. It may also have been advantageous for my Gout  ;D

Contrast the The Crown with Maltsters Arms last night. Without any prompting they said they happily stay open until midnight on school nights and 1am on Friday and Saturday evenings. I’m moving to Heybridge.

« Reply #3056 on: 26 April, 2018, 01:56:28 pm »
Contrast the The Crown with Maltsters Arms last night. Without any prompting they said they happily stay open until midnight on school nights and 1am on Friday and Saturday evenings. I’m moving to Heybridge.
:thumbsup:

oooo quite tempted by that.... it solves a problem of having to be in London on Friday conflicting with G&Y start time.....
:thumbsup: I think that group on Strava is public so you can join and do an 'I'm In' if you decide to go for it.

« Reply #3057 on: 26 April, 2018, 02:07:19 pm »
The Malststers proved to be a great venue, it was my first visit but not my last.

It is a while since I started a MEMWNS ride from Spa so I had forgotten about some of the fun to be had when OD is leading the ride...  It also seems that I had forgotten how to ride a bike as I somehow managed to fall off before we had even set off  :facepalm: 

When I remounted and caught up with OD, Jem, Hotblack and the Hustler, I asked OD where the route took us, "I don't really know" he replied in his usual reassuring way, "I didn't check it but it's on my Garmin so what can possibly go wrong".  Of course, with it being an OD route, we were only a few short miles away from our final destination when, instead of turning towards our chosen hostelry, we suddenly veered off in a completely different direction.  That pattern was repeated at the next few junctions until I was forced to ask OD if we were heading for the Heybridge in Essex.  Meanwhile, the man himself was demonstrating his pre-Alpine form on Dakota and whizzing off down the lanes at a furious pace.  He must have eventually gone too fast for his own Garmin because he slowed down to let us catch up and promptly announced that we were off route and he didn't know where we were exactly.  It was around this time that we noticed the large black clouds massing overhead.  OD's solution was to career off down an unmade lane on the basis that it probably went somewhere interesting.  It was only when the Hustler pointed out that it was, in fact, signposted as a footpath that we persuaded him to stay on the tarmac.  After a few (incorrect) guesses about where we were, we came across East Hanningfield. 

Shortly afterwards, I took the executive decision to time trial down the main road to try to beat the lightning storm that I could see in the sky and reach the pub at a reasonable time.  The rest of the group stuck with the lanes but we all turned up there pretty much at the same time which says as much about their speed as it does about how slow I am at the moment.

The designated pub was the Heybridge Inn and I found Captain Birdseye, Tomsk, Oaky and Jiber in there keeping an eye on their bikes whilst enjoying a Dorset Rogue by Piddle .  Nice as Dorset Rogue was, it was the only ale they had on that evening and Jiber was being quizzed by Heybridge's answer to Michael Parkinson so it didn't take much to persuade us to go with OD's suggestion and repair instead to the Maltsters. 

Again, it was bikes locked together outside the pub but they let us open the blinds so we could keep watch.

As OD said above, we were made to feel welcome by the bar staff and pretty much had the place to ourselves.  Better still, they had a selection of ales available that those of us on beer strava had never had before.  We sampled; Checkpoint Charlie by George's, Dawn 'Til Dusk by Saffron, Mad Dog Mild by Hop Monster and The Hopfather by Wye Valley.  Mad Dog Mild was the clear winner of the Quaffers' Choice and was generally agreed to be one of the best milds any of us had ever tasted. 

The conversation took a wide range of twists and turns but often returned to our plans for OD's caravan pub.  We all agreed he would make a splendid mobile landlord. 

It was just warm enough to cycle home without knee warmers but it was my latest return for a while and the streetlights were well and truly off by the time I returned.  If only I had been sensible like Jiber and planned to leave after a quick drink for an early night.  Then again, if only Jiber had been sensible and actually stuck to his plan  ;D

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3058 on: 26 April, 2018, 02:53:04 pm »
Splendid!!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3059 on: 26 April, 2018, 02:57:27 pm »
And by the way, it was good to have BFC back amongst us  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3060 on: 26 April, 2018, 03:00:37 pm »
Good summary of an excellent pub and night out.

I loved that the beer was brought up from the cellar in jugs and served from that. I hadn't seen that in years

Sent using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Jem

« Reply #3061 on: 26 April, 2018, 03:10:57 pm »
ditto Grey Sheep....excellent write up and another great night out.
My legs are stuffed though.....so much for "recovery" ride I'd hoped for - still, it was also nice to know that reverse is no longer their fastest gear.

And yes OD.....I am very happy with my "life choices".
Wed nights will never be the same again.  ;D  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3062 on: 26 April, 2018, 03:20:31 pm »
ditto Grey Sheep....excellent write up and another great night out.
... And yes OD.....I am very happy with my "life choices".
Wed nights will never be the same again.  ;D  ;D

I have long advocated that meeting men on the interweb is the way forward  :thumbsup: 

« Reply #3063 on: 26 April, 2018, 03:26:31 pm »

Yes, it was and on fixed too.

Did you notice how the Hustler and I very considerately slowed down for the BFC as it was only his 3rd ride back.

The fact that he was a quarter of a mile up the road and travelling faster than any of us was irrelevant, we were just trying to do the right thing.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3064 on: 26 April, 2018, 04:13:52 pm »

Yes, it was and on fixed too.

Did you notice how the Hustler and I very considerately slowed down for the BFC as it was only his 3rd ride back.

The fact that he was a quarter of a mile up the road and travelling faster than any of us was irrelevant, we were just trying to do the right thing.

Me and Dakota were keeping him company at the front.  In fact as we entered into Witham I looked back expecting to see the lights of Jem and AndyC333333333333333 but there was nothing  :o

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3065 on: 27 April, 2018, 10:40:25 am »

Me and Dakota were keeping him company at the front.  In fact as we entered into Witham I looked back expecting to see the lights of Jem and AndyC333333333333333 but there was nothing  :o

Just watched the flyby.  I'd have beaten you back if it wasn't for those pesky GPS batteries I had to change at the top of Spring Lane!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3066 on: 27 April, 2018, 10:50:04 am »

Just watched the flyby.  I'd have beaten you back if it wasn't for those pesky GPS batteries I had to change at the top of Spring Lane!

You needed a GPS to get home from the top of Spring Lane?  :o  And to think people take the piss out of my navigational prowess! 

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3067 on: 27 April, 2018, 11:17:11 am »
You needed a GPS to get hope from the top of Spring Lane?  :o  And to think people take the piss out of my navigational prowess!

Nah... just to record my ~R17 speed, and keep me from redlining my HR.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Jem

« Reply #3068 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:16:24 pm »
[quote author=Oscar's dad link=topic=94449.msg2280399#msg2280399

Shouldn't mix my drinks.....Merlot and Mad Dog made me a bit mellow on the way home. Merlot is the drink of choice in the absence of Eochefort 10 and Kasteel but it's not good for riding - at least not when not accompanied by a Boss Hog's kebak.
Ever the well-trained wingman, the Hustler stayed back. Clearly, beer fueled commuter is a state and not just a name. My legs were finished!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3069 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:19:07 pm »
You're playing the "Hey, I did a 300k at the weekend!" card to the max  :thumbsup:

Jem

« Reply #3070 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:27:51 pm »
You're playing the "Hey, I did a 300k at the weekend!" card to the max  :thumbsup:

My real ace is the "diversity" card   ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3071 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:40:48 pm »

My real ace is the "diversity" card   ;)

Indeed, colonial, female and over 50 is pretty much a game winning card  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3072 on: 27 April, 2018, 02:17:59 pm »
What's the situation with ACME apparal at the moment? Is there stock, or does a bulk order need to be put togther? I'd like a long sleeve jersey (M). Also, if there was enough demand, could we get some summer weight long sleeve jerseys made? I find them very useful for slipping over a short sleeved jersey of an evening or at Audax O'clock when it's a bit nippy but not so cold as to require a fleece lined long sleeved jersey. I appreciate there might not be much demand for these though....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3073 on: 27 April, 2018, 05:03:59 pm »
What's the situation with ACME apparal at the moment? Is there stock, or does a bulk order need to be put togther? I'd like a long sleeve jersey (M). Also, if there was enough demand, could we get some summer weight long sleeve jerseys made? I find them very useful for slipping over a short sleeved jersey of an evening or at Audax O'clock when it's a bit nippy but not so cold as to require a fleece lined long sleeved jersey. I appreciate there might not be much demand for these though....
A bulk order for ACME short sleeved jerseys has been placed, delivery expected early June.  There will be enough stock on hand in the ACME shop for buys that were not pre-ordered, not that there was a lot of pre-ordering.  Tomsk may have some existing stock of summer SS jerseys that might suit.
I have one M winter (really spring/autumn) weight LS jersey in stock.  You're welcome to try it but health warnings have been issued about sizing requiring you to permanently breath in while at the same time spend significant time on a rack to extend your arms to fit the orang-utan style tailoring.
There are also a few gilets in stock. Similar health warning without the orang-utan bit.
Blackmore don't list a LS summer jersey in their portfolio, maybe that's something we can enquire about.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #3074 on: 28 April, 2018, 07:59:31 am »
I have one M winter (really spring/autumn) weight LS jersey in stock.  You're welcome to try it but health warnings have been issued about sizing requiring you to permanently breath in while at the same time spend significant time on a rack to extend your arms to fit the orang-utan style tailoring.

Nice one. I'll have to arrange a fitting session at a convenient time...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!