Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1601808 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10650 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:52:01 pm »
Best tweet today:. Since o2 has been down I’ve had to talk to the family. Surprised to hear mum no longer works at Woolworths

https://twitter.com/Daniel_weakley/status/1070736651658452993?s=20
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ian

« Reply #10651 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:51:23 pm »
This explains why I have today re-received every text my mother has ever sent to me.

All six of them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10652 on: 07 December, 2018, 12:04:56 am »
This explains why I have today re-received every text my mother has ever sent to me.

All six of them.

I sent my mother a text once.  To tell her that I'd sent her an email about some paperwork or other that was vaguely time-critical, so that she could stoke up the babbage-engine and have a look.  Which she did the next day.

Six months later I got the reply to the SMS: A panicked phone call that she couldn't see an email.  I eventually worked out what she was talking about.

Mind you, this is the person who phoned me on New Year's Eve the year after I became persona non grata in the family home with some question about the SCART cables.  The tragic thing is that I was able to provide a satisfactory answer before going off to have a little cry.

« Reply #10653 on: 07 December, 2018, 12:07:23 am »
I've got all clarion's messages today in duplicate, one minute apart, at some point after they were sent.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10654 on: 07 December, 2018, 09:00:40 am »
My mum once left me a message that was far too technologically advanced for me. It was back in the days of answering machines. She was out when I got home and only when she returned did I find out there was a message for me on the answering machine – I was supposed to know this by means of the tiny red blinkenlight, play the message and discover that dinner was in the oven, or whatever it was. It would have been simpler and more effective to leave a note on a piece of paper, but hey, it's a hungry world when you're a teenager with technosavvy parents. Or something.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10655 on: 07 December, 2018, 03:35:35 pm »
Packaging a guitar for the post:

- what happened to all that bubble wrap that was in the wee office?

- oh, I got sick of seeing it and threw it out.

:facepalm:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10656 on: 07 December, 2018, 03:44:40 pm »
Found myself sitting next to a raving brexiter at the Christmas lunch. Fortunately lunch had already been despatched and the comedy was about to start, so I only had to cope with it for about 60 seconds
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10657 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:02:26 pm »
I made an unplanned stupormarket visit today and in consequence had to buy a 5p carrier bag, the first time I've done so. In fact the first time I've taken a carrier bag from the supermarket since before the charge came in. My grumble is not about having to pay – fair charge – but I'd forgotten just how uncomfortable those bags are to carry. I didn't even have a full bag and my fingers were going numb at the end of the short walk home.

I did pay for a carrier bag in Vienna a few years ago. That was before the charge had been introduced in England but the Austrians are ahead of us on some things. IIRC the bag cost 1 euro but it was a proper bag, with a proper handle, though and easier to carry (more like a UKish bag-for-life, but in Vienna that was the only sort).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10658 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:15:17 pm »
England is not only behind Austria,  it was several years behind Wales on charging for plastic bags.  Likewise the smoking in pubs thing.  Wales was a lot earlier on that than Englandshire.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10659 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:39:03 pm »
You're also substantially ahead of us in hills and rain! I knew about the plastic bags, didn't know you'd banned smoking in pubs earlier.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10660 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:42:43 pm »
Scotland was 1st, I believe.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10661 on: 07 December, 2018, 09:18:10 pm »
I almost always end up paying for bags when I go shopping by car (which, to be fair, isn't very often).  I keep some bags in my right pannier, you see.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10662 on: 07 December, 2018, 09:33:50 pm »
I almost always end up paying for bags when I go shopping by car (which, to be fair, isn't very often).  I keep some bags in my right pannier, you see.
On the occasions that we are with car and have forgotten bags, we reload the trolley at the till, unload yummy things loose into the boot of the car and drive with care.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10663 on: 07 December, 2018, 09:38:31 pm »
On the occasions that we are with car and have forgotten bags, we reload the trolley at the till, unload yummy things loose into the boot of the car and drive with care.

That's what I do with the bigger stuff.  Smaller items, particularly those of a potentially leaky disposition, get a bag according to the It's Not My Car principle.

« Reply #10664 on: 08 December, 2018, 07:58:16 am »

Not GB but close enough, Ireland were about 18 months earlier than Scotland.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #10665 on: 08 December, 2018, 04:58:45 pm »

Not GB but close enough, Ireland were about 18 months earlier than Scotland.
Scotland was somewhere around the beginning of March 2006, from memory.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #10666 on: 08 December, 2018, 06:58:49 pm »
I recycle any bags with Ocado and get my money back

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10667 on: 09 December, 2018, 11:58:07 am »
We have not one but two plastic tower things from Ikea full of plastic bags. Some from supermarkets, some from other sorts of shops. I avoid paying for them but Mrs Cudzo doesn't. In fact she recently discovered that the Co-op has started making its bags compostable, so they get used for the food waste recycling bin (which AIUI indirectly generates electricity).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10668 on: 09 December, 2018, 12:11:16 pm »
We have a (Carradice branded!) plastic bag of bags on the back of the kitchen door.  It seems to stay more-or-less full, so the rate at which I retire torn bags via bin liner duty seems to match the rate I forget and have to buy a new one.

ian

« Reply #10669 on: 11 December, 2018, 10:21:13 am »
Swimming pool, you have a webpage and timetable. If you're closed (no lifeguard apparently), be nice maybe to indicate this on the webpage rather than write it on a sign outside the centre door. Because, well.

« Reply #10670 on: 15 December, 2018, 05:59:43 pm »
Whose idea was it to buy Christmas cards which are blank inside? Means I have to write something other than a set of names.  >:(
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #10671 on: 21 December, 2018, 12:12:41 pm »
As an early Chringletide present, Surrey Highways finally painted double-yellows on the corner outside. Only 3.5 years since we asked.

As they painted them through the potholes and across the loose road surface, they'll probably have a half-life of a month or two. Oh, and you can guess where the Royal Mail van was parked this morning.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #10672 on: 21 December, 2018, 08:24:54 pm »
Turbo trainers.  That is all.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10673 on: 22 December, 2018, 11:01:23 am »
I have at last figured out where the air causing airlocks in our central heating is coming from.  I've been bleeding it several times a day but when I'm not here the system stalls and Mrs Tween gets cold.  The volume of air I've been getting out is most of a 2' square single panel rad twice a day.  Two or three litres a day then.  The culprit?  You know that one way auto vent you always have whose sole function is to get air out of the system....
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10674 on: 23 December, 2018, 09:01:49 pm »
David has been playing 'Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer' on his keyboard for most of the day...