Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 863837 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5450 on: 31 August, 2018, 03:31:47 pm »
I'm currently waiting on one of these for my utility bike. I don't need it for going to Lidl but it is handy to have on for going to new places and my upcoming new London commute.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Computer-Fixed-Stem-Top-Cap-Mount-For-GARMIN-Edge-1000-800-810-500-200-/222490170162

I shouldn't think it'd be pinched off the bike - perhaps I'll super glue it on. Handlebars and saddles get stolen in this town maybe Garmin mounts do too.

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5451 on: 31 August, 2018, 05:04:17 pm »
@ Pedaldog. I hate you . . .

@ Bludger. I had a call yesterday from the parent of a stude in That London that they have now. Said offspring had returned to his bike to find the handlebars stolen as a job lot. Carrera summat with 8 speed Claris.

No trial, they should be sent straight to crucifixion. At least that would please Jerkoof Grease-Smug.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5452 on: 31 August, 2018, 09:04:18 pm »
An 11-32 8spd cassette and a shiny new 8 speed chain for the audax bike. Much better gearing now compared to the 12-28 which was on previously.

bludger

« Reply #5453 on: 01 September, 2018, 02:04:44 pm »

@ Bludger. I had a call yesterday from the parent of a stude in That London that they have now. Said offspring had returned to his bike to find the handlebars stolen as a job lot. Carrera summat with 8 speed Claris.

No trial, they should be sent straight to crucifixion. At least that would please Jerkoof Grease-Smug.

Yes it's not uncommon particularly if they've been left out overnight.

My plan is to superglue a ball bearing into the top cap bolt, which I can remove with the right chemicals when I need to access it. Ought to put off the opportunists at the least. I'm thinking of doing it with the seatpost clamp as well, right now I use a cheapo halfrauds combi lock to connect the saddle rails to the aux cable which holds the wheels.

Ban cars.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5454 on: 01 September, 2018, 02:22:56 pm »
So now not only do we have to lock the frame to something immovable, we have to secure the wheels to the frame and the saddle to the wheels. As if that wasn't enough we need to secure against scrotes wielding hand tools to steal the most expensive cycle parts.

I give up.
VELOMANCER

bludger

« Reply #5455 on: 01 September, 2018, 02:27:07 pm »
eh to be fair I always lock up mine near other bikes which are easier to steal so I'm more than likely just letting paranoia run away with me. I just can't think of much worse than coming out to the bike stand and finding my saddle or handlebars gone.

What about my pedals? Crumbs... They're only some used SPDs I got from the bike co op but what if someone grabbed those!  :o

Ban cars.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5456 on: 01 September, 2018, 02:33:37 pm »
I don't ride much (if at all) these days but the above bears out my conviction that the best bike lock is NO bike lock.

If you have no bike lock you can't leave your bike anywhere.
VELOMANCER

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5457 on: 01 September, 2018, 04:15:22 pm »
Pair of handbuilt disc brake hub wheels - excellent except that the hubs are for splined rotors with lockrimgs and they supplied bolt-on rotors (and no bolts)

Aaargh!

Rob

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5458 on: 01 September, 2018, 10:22:55 pm »
Overshoes and a GPS mount, both Poste Restante to a post office 1000 km ahead of me in the Yukon.  Let's see if I manage to collect them.

Ooh, whereabouts?

<== Was there a couple of days ago and will be back on Saturday/Sunday

Whitehorse.  I've now also tried the same trick again and ordered some Lake shoes PR to Anchorage as the ones I have are fantastic but have holes that are getting rather large.

« Reply #5459 on: 02 September, 2018, 09:12:38 am »
Is this cycling stuff?

Where from, How much and How many X's do they go up to in Sizes?

The late arrival of this reply is due to an earlier mechanical fault in the incoming message, we hope you chose to fly with us again.

https://www.s-ponder.com is the make, although they don't seem to list it on their site. I bought it in Bath in this gift shop, I seem to recall they went up to XX, although again, the s-ponder website suggests that XL is the max. Given the number of USAnian tourists in Bath, I would be surprised if the XX+ isn't catered for. How much was about £16 IIRC.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5460 on: 02 September, 2018, 09:30:38 am »
Is this cycling stuff?

Where from, How much and How many X's do they go up to in Sizes?

The late arrival of this reply is due to an earlier mechanical fault in the incoming message, we hope you chose to fly with us again.

https://www.s-ponder.com is the make, although they don't seem to list it on their site. I bought it in Bath in this gift shop, I seem to recall they went up to XX, although again, the s-ponder website suggests that XL is the max. Given the number of USAnian tourists in Bath, I would be surprised if the XX+ isn't catered for. How much was about £16 IIRC.
IIRC USAnian XL = European XXL (and Asian XXXL!). I think that's what the Decathlon clothing labels said anyway :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5461 on: 16 September, 2018, 05:55:19 pm »
A Lezyne GPS, as my old SatMap one died of water (it works, but the screen is lacking both rows and colours). I've decided I quite enjoy using a paper map on my barbag, but still like the logging where I've been aspect. This, helpfully, ties in neatly with not wanting to pay for something that does proper (OS) maps.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5462 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:22:53 pm »
A new Ventisit seat pad for my 20/26 Performer recumbent.  I've put up with the 2004 original for the past few years, but since the Ventisit pad on my SAKI 700c High racer is pretty comfortable, I decided it was time I had one for my winter bike.

I discussed the correct size over the phone with Bart at Ventisit, ordered it Monday and DPD delivered it today.  Bart knew exactly what size I needed.

Fitted it - perfect fit and very comfortable - even though I only bought the Classic at 20mm thick as the bike has rear suspension so I thought that the thicker pad would be overkill.  Time will tell.

Very pleased, the bike looks very smart (or it will do after it's had its pre-winter wash and fettle.

« Reply #5463 on: 20 September, 2018, 02:20:40 pm »
A Gore waterproof cap.
Now we're bound to have the driest Winter on record.

You're welcome.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #5464 on: 20 September, 2018, 03:16:23 pm »
One of those dummy hub things so I can clean the chain off the wheel without removing it and some nailbrushes with which to clean the chain. Rock and roll.

« Reply #5465 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:11:25 pm »
A Gore waterproof cap.
Now we're bound to have the driest Winter on record.

You're welcome.

I might have to take it back for a refund, it's obviously faulty.
It's pissed down both times I've worn it.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5466 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:06:21 am »
A pair of Shimano disc brakes for the Orange. The Avids that are on it have failed, the rear now doing nothing and the front very little.

I am in no rush for them so ordered them from AliExpress
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5467 on: 23 September, 2018, 12:26:12 pm »
Making sure, of course, that the brakes are UK spec with the front on the RHS...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #5468 on: 23 September, 2018, 01:07:34 pm »
Some pimpy white Sidi Wire Carbon shoes, new on Ebay. I didn't really need any more cycling shoes (I already have several "spare" pairs) but I can't resist a bargain, and the cafe stop on today's club ride just happened to be perfectly timed for the end of the auction. :hand:

« Reply #5469 on: 23 September, 2018, 01:50:49 pm »
... What about my pedals? Crumbs... They're only some used SPDs I got from the bike co op but what if someone grabbed those!  :o

Probably over 20 years ago, way before YACF, I remember reading on one of the rec.cycling newsgroups of someone in New York, who had five locks on his bike.  That was for a lock on both wheels, the saddle, and each pedal!  Bicycle theft of premium parts is not a new thing.  As you and others have said, lock it near other more desirable looking bicycles, avoid leaving it out at night etc  Ultimately you cannot stop a determined thief, you just try and limit the attraction of your bike, and make casual theft difficult.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5470 on: 23 September, 2018, 01:55:52 pm »
I bought a variety of drive chain bits for my single speed commuter, chainrings, chains and freewheels.  Most spectacularly I bought a SystemEX 44 tooth Chainring and Sturmey Archer Freewheel from derekscyclesonline, and both of them were delivered to my local Argos (vi eBay's Click and Collect) in a little bit over 12 hours.  Impressive given that they appear to be based in Skegness, not particularly close to South London. :o :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5471 on: 23 September, 2018, 02:02:47 pm »
... What about my pedals? Crumbs... They're only some used SPDs I got from the bike co op but what if someone grabbed those!  :o

Probably over 20 years ago, way before YACF, I remember reading on one of the rec.cycling newsgroups of someone in New York, who had five locks on his bike.  That was for a lock on both wheels, the saddle, and each pedal!  Bicycle theft of premium parts is not a new thing.  As you and others have said, lock it near other more desirable looking bicycles, avoid leaving it out at night etc  Ultimately you cannot stop a determined thief, you just try and limit the attraction of your bike, and make casual theft difficult.

Having just cycled to my church here (on the edge of a council estate) in West Cumbria, left my bike unlocked outside the church for an hour and a half, and then cycled it home, I'm just glad I don't live in anywhere you need to be that paranoid.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5472 on: 25 September, 2018, 07:06:59 am »
Ti stem for one of my Van Nicholas machines - to accompany the Ti headset spacers and top-cap that arrived yestreday  :thumbsup:

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5473 on: 27 September, 2018, 05:04:47 pm »
Bum cream and TF2.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5474 on: 27 September, 2018, 05:57:33 pm »
Bum cream and TF2.

Probably best not to get those mixed up.