Author Topic: Riding two bikes at the same time  (Read 9113 times)

Re: Riding two bikes at the same time
« Reply #25 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:31:37 pm »
Update:

Bike delivered.
Bike recipient delivered Jurek home as a passenger in a car.
Result.

« Reply #26 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:43:16 pm »

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Riding two bikes at the same time
« Reply #27 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:04:54 pm »
Another vote for 'only as a kid'.

Did it regularly when young. Tried it just this week, and it was a heavy nightmare.

« Reply #28 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:56:01 am »
We need to campaign for Doris bikes in the suburbs. It's the only way :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:37:33 pm »
I was surprised to discover just how little of Londonland is actually covered by BDoris bikes (great name, btw, which deserves to live on long after BJ is gone and forgotten).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #30 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:52:05 pm »
I was surprised to discover just how little of Londonland is actually covered by BDoris bikes (great name, btw, which deserves to live on long after BJ is gone and forgotten).

But it's expanding east.  Most of the new docking stations have been installed, though they don't yet have bikes.  I assume the bikes won't appear until all the docking stations are set up.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #31 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:55:41 pm »

But it's expanding east.  Most of the new docking stations have been installed, though they don't yet have bikes.  I assume the bikes won't appear until all the docking stations are set up.

Knowing the team that are managing this, I wouldn't bet on it (and it's NOT our favourite prison transporters that are handling this, but a subby to them that has one too many letters in it's company name)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #32 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »
All power to the intensification and expansification! Strange that they haven't pushed it out to the Olympic Park though, even if it would have been at the expensification of another area.

'fication.  :)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #33 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:57:35 pm »
Bikes are banned from the Olympic Park.  >:(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 03 February, 2012, 02:00:25 pm »
 :o
Because they think mixing cyclists and pedestrians will cause accidents, or they're worried about BOMZ in panniers or... I can't think why?

« Reply #35 on: 03 February, 2012, 05:40:34 pm »
Bikes are banned from the Olympic Park.  >:(

That'll make for some interesting cycle races then...  ;)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #36 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:14:28 am »
Yeah, myself as well as a kid, many times.

It seems that this is one of the many many things that seem real simple to do when you are 12 years old but somehow become impossible once you get over 30.

I've done this as a teenager and it was OK unless the non ridden bike got wobble on when you hit a bump. I used to use a three fingered hold thumb and index and second finger. The trick was not grip tightly/ Probably the bikes I had available then had a much bigger castor angle than modern bikes so didn't wobble so much either.

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Riding two bikes at the same time
« Reply #37 on: 07 February, 2012, 08:37:45 pm »
Had a thought/theory.

Maybe it is easier if you are riding a bike that is too small, with the saddle set low, so that you are reaching up to the handlebars of the second bike.
As we get older and set up our bikes properly, we have to reach down to the second bike. Especially if we are transporting bikes for smaller people.

Discuss.

« Reply #38 on: 09 February, 2012, 07:43:38 am »
I know what the problem is - none of you are Dutch. :P

Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #39 on: 09 February, 2012, 07:54:53 am »
I started doing this again this Summer when collecting the small hatlers from friends houses, cubs, etc. I keep to the real back roads though with only occasional (and ideally downhill) patches on slightly bigger roads.

The key thing I'd forgotten was the surprise factor involved when you brake. You have to have arm and shoulder muscles of steel to stop the spare bike disappearing off ahead of you.

Even with clipless this is possible, and I have stopped and set off again without my feet touching the ground by using the spare bike as support. Great fun.

The spare bikes in question are for 10 and 8 year olds, so not super small but not exactly large either.
Rust never sleeps