Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3889626 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22125 on: 10 October, 2018, 08:33:34 pm »
No, because barakta had a hospital appointment, so we used a 'bus'.   >:(

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22126 on: 10 October, 2018, 09:14:04 pm »
Said "fuck off" to my cold and went for a planned gentle ride round my regular 25km loop. 

It was 19C, and I was in my summer gear in the middle of October :thumbsup:  And they say global warming's a myth  :P

I didn't seem to be working hard but still ended up with a 28.2km/h average.  Now coughing, sore throat and nursing a single malt
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22127 on: 13 October, 2018, 02:20:01 pm »
Today, a perfect 1% ride: 58.6 km and 586 metres climbed.  Only trouble is that I wanted to do >100 km but was still knackered from yesterday's strivings in workshop & garden.  I don't seem to recover overnight any more.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22128 on: 13 October, 2018, 06:26:18 pm »
Just back from a ride.  Bike handling was a bit exciting, even on the unflappable Streetmachine.  Got hit with sticks twice, but avoided being conkered.  One instance of tree lying in the road (just enough room to squeeze a car over the leafy end), several of bits of tree at side of road and chainsaw detritus.  Saw a branch fall from a tree shortly after I rode under it in my mirror, like something out of a car advert.  And as previously discussed, all the leaves have indeed turned to chutney overnight.

Temperature was almost as ridiculous as the standard of car driving.

« Reply #22129 on: 13 October, 2018, 07:35:20 pm »
60km Burbage to Abingdon.  Nice ride, with an impressive tailwind.  Super warm (for the time of yr) almost over heating in shorts and s-sleeves.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22130 on: 14 October, 2018, 10:16:30 am »
60km to Kings Lynn with a mostly tailwind, hairy crosswind bits, and very dry, starting out before sun-up on Friday to give me time to catch the train back and then run around manically for the rest of the day prepping for travel to SAudi first thing Saturday.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22131 on: 14 October, 2018, 10:27:49 am »
Torrential rain put paid to today's planned ride.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rr

« Reply #22132 on: 14 October, 2018, 03:54:14 pm »
Cross bike ramble around Essex, bagging Mini a Strava Queen of the Mountains.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #22133 on: 14 October, 2018, 05:25:55 pm »
Yesterday an origami folders ride from Ely, 15 of us. The rain stopped before we started but the wind didn't. Going north through Littleport to Ten Mile Bank it more than helped, but then turning west the crosswind seemed to create as much drag as a headwind on our Moulton tandem. Had to limit the e-assist to try and conserve the batteries. We were down to 5mph sometimes. A great lunch at the Lamb and Flag in Welney restored us somewhat, but the ride back via Little Downham was hellish, never want to experience that again. About 30 miles in total, two exhausted batteries and riders.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22134 on: 17 October, 2018, 04:39:28 pm »
48k after lunch, fuelled by 3 x 12g espressos and a large amount of ice-cream: went like a bat out of hell (for me). Stopped for another espresso & a chocolate chip cookie halfway round and came home briskly too.  Reason for espressi (other than addiction/gluttony) was that before I joined the Confraternity of Stented Ones in 2008 a couple of coffees gave me heart pain, so every so often I slide in a few then head up a local 7% hill with about 5 minutes' warm-up to see what will happen.  Pushed it hard but nothing did.

Fun ride, lovely weather if windy.

« Reply #22135 on: 17 October, 2018, 06:54:30 pm »
40 miles to Dinton pastores and back. This afternoon.  A few light showers but still quite mild out  . :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22136 on: 20 October, 2018, 09:36:57 pm »
Decided to take the plunge and go for an autumnal 163km, via the Chilterns, Pangbourne, Hungerford, Aldbourne, Lambourn.  Glorious day in the sun.  The descent from Baydon to Lambourn was fun, the climb out of Aldbourne not so much... Nice to go down Spring Hill (Ramsbury) for a change.   Rewarded by a great sunset too

Wallingford
IMG_20181020_085621671 by ao, on Flickr

After Hungerford
IMG_20181020_141417492 by ao, on Flickr

Between Lambourn & Blowingstone Hill
IMG_20181020_164627701 by ao, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22137 on: 20 October, 2018, 11:27:41 pm »
About 25km trundling around by Brommie, split by a slow, short walk with several hundred thousand compatriots.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22138 on: 21 October, 2018, 03:10:51 am »
I'm with you, Dave - the sooner we rejoin Australia, the sooner we get the Ashes back - or half of them, anyway!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #22139 on: 21 October, 2018, 01:43:59 pm »
About 25km trundling around by Brommie, split by a slow, short walk with several hundred thousand compatriots.
Same here, except the short slow walk was preceded by a long stand on Park Lane. What an amazing day though, beautiful weather, great atmosphere. The only downside was having to ride through the impenetrable maze of Westminster streets with zilch cycling provision to get home.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22140 on: 21 October, 2018, 04:11:00 pm »
As the Quinn track bike is now road-legal, I took it for a cautious ride.  Steering is rather quick but it's very silent and comfortable on rough tarmac.  Considerable toe overlap so I have to remember to keep my toes up in slow-speed  tight turns.  It shifts quite well if I get out of the saddle and give it some, although no doubt it will move a lot more sharply on the silly-light tub wheels.

20181021_160138 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22141 on: 21 October, 2018, 05:22:01 pm »
A proper piece of kit that.

I trundled the trike around Hillingdon Cycle Circuit several times in both directions. Unfortunately, since we were racing, many folk rode much faster. Several weeks off the bike will do that, apparently. 'Such is life'; the fitness will come back again, it'll just take a while and be a bit painful in the meantime.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22142 on: 21 October, 2018, 06:56:54 pm »
43 miles around the chilterns today in nice sunshine.  :)
the slower you go the more you see

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #22143 on: 24 October, 2018, 09:25:22 pm »
49 miles leading the Wednesday HoECC ride - car assist to Shipston on Stour then riding through the Cotswolds on an undulating route via Kingham to Burford and lunch - rather more severe hills on the return via Chipping Norton.  Glorious weather and a great lunch stop - splendid views of the countryside.  On the Orbea electric but only used the battery in the afternoon - battery just about 25% used.  [I did stop and offer to sell Orbea Gain e-bikes to the others at the top of some of the nastier hills .... I can supply these through my shop  ;) ]

Rob

« Reply #22144 on: 24 October, 2018, 09:29:52 pm »
As the Quinn track bike is now road-legal, I took it for a cautious ride.  Steering is rather quick but it's very silent and comfortable on rough tarmac.  Considerable toe overlap so I have to remember to keep my toes up in slow-speed  tight turns.  It shifts quite well if I get out of the saddle and give it some, although no doubt it will move a lot more sharply on the silly-light tub wheels.

20181021_160138 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
That's choice, Roger.
'Very silent' is cool  :thumbsup:

« Reply #22145 on: 27 October, 2018, 06:47:43 pm »
Yes, a beautiful 100km over the Dukes pass, along lochsides and across flatlands coming back over the campsies in glorious sunshine and autumn colours. A couple of icy patches on the Dukes, but bone dry roads apart from that. Gritters had wasted their time last night.

Rode my triggers broom, my trek with replaced frame and wheels. A very sweet ride, but I need to tune the lower gears in a bit better. Some reason, the 105 long cage mech doesn't much like the ultra "junior" 14-25 cassette.

« Reply #22146 on: 27 October, 2018, 11:20:20 pm »
Last week-end the grus flew over in several large flights. Grus must be a specific species of goose but in this part of the world the term refers to almost any large migratory bird flying in V formation and making a lot of noise. The passing of the grus indicates the change of season, winter to summer and vice versa. They are much better weather forecasters than most humans. Sure enough last saturday I did a 60km club outing in warm summery conditions. Today I did 60kms solo in a biting east wind that must have come all the way from the Urals without stopping to pick up a bit of warmth on the way, but the sun was shining, the hailstones only fell for about 10 minutes. There were several biggish chaingangs out and quite a few other cyclos too. Tomorrow and monday we are forecast possible light sleet showers, people were taking advantage of probably the last nice(ish)day of 2018 (and I was no exception).
A couple of things on the experimental side to note as successes. Today was the first outing where I have felt confident enough to use an automatic pedal on the side with the replacement knee joint (6 months after the op) - big first that was. It was also the first outing of the winter bike, being tested after various changes, all went very smoothly but I really must find a better saddle! Also it was sufficiently quick for the 40/11 top gear to seem not big enough, I will have to change for a 44. (Back to 44-30 double rings, which is what I had back in 1977 and was still using when I came to France  28 years ago). The Gitane always surprises me, Cromor plain gauge main triangle and any old junk for the rest, it really shouldn't go as well as it does - I guess it's just the right frame for me in some strange sort of way.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22147 on: 28 October, 2018, 08:04:46 am »
Yesterday, a 35k toddle just to remind my legs what they're there for. Not before time: I've been off the bike for 10 days trying to complete a guitar for my son's birthday, and my legs were catastrophized. That might also have been due to the 15°C drop in temperature since my last sortie, and the effect of moving into winter fig: last outing was in jersey & shorts, this one in long-handled dung hampers and soft shell jacket.

I hate the winter.

« Reply #22148 on: 28 October, 2018, 11:42:25 am »
Wonderful 2 hour zone 2 HR ride up the A2 from Derby.  Sun was shining and the cars drove nicely.  Overall very enjoyable.  Only downside was that the latest Hammerhead Karoo update has made it totally unstable with 5 crashes in the 2 hours!

« Reply #22149 on: 28 October, 2018, 01:13:17 pm »
I DNS'd the Peculiar Old 200k yesterday, after seeing the dodgy weather forecast.  So instead a short ride today, from Wylam to Newcastle along the cycle route on the South bank of the Tyne; then after a nice coffee and toastie at the Ouseburn cycle Hub (cafe and bike shop) back up the cycle route on the North bank.  Some warm sunshine, with one heavy shower in between.  So at least the weekend hasn't been a total write off.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.