Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813277 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22175 on: 10 November, 2018, 08:19:46 pm »
I went for a potter around Windsor park. It was nice and sunny till I got to the Virginia water end of the park then this big black cloud sneaked up and  chucked large amount so of water at me. By the time I got home my waterproof jacket had proved not to be  ::-)and it stopped raining as I got to the front door  .
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22176 on: 10 November, 2018, 08:22:28 pm »
I also got soaked in that ^ on the Origami ride.  The magic rainlegs took a while to get going, presumably on account of being out of practice.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22177 on: 10 November, 2018, 08:31:14 pm »
I was keen on spending another 10 minutes or so at the Origami lunch pub but the rain did stop for a fair part of the return ride. Unfortunately it kicked on again as we closed on the finish and I was glad to get into a warm dry train.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22178 on: 10 November, 2018, 10:31:06 pm »
Living within 3 miles of the lunch pub, I took the bus home and returned by car to pick up my bike, plus A. N. Other whom I dropped off at the tube station.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22179 on: 10 November, 2018, 11:55:42 pm »
There really ought to be negative audax points available for that sort of thing   ;D

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #22180 on: 11 November, 2018, 08:15:32 am »
Fuck this country's rotten road culture. Fuming right now.
Justifiably.
How’s the x-ray-ed cyclist?
And what’s a coal roll?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22181 on: 11 November, 2018, 08:23:45 am »
Deliberately dumping black exhaust smoke in a cyclist's face.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wCvIaZGdjKA
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22182 on: 11 November, 2018, 11:55:03 am »
Fuck this country's rotten road culture. Fuming right now.
Justifiably.
How’s the x-ray-ed cyclist?
And what’s a coal roll?
physically she seems to be ok. But it was a huge shock. I am upset, I was leading the ride and I won't forget the sound of crashing masses and screams anytime soon.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22183 on: 11 November, 2018, 01:17:42 pm »
And what’s a coal roll?

The sort of thing only a USAnian would come up with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22184 on: 11 November, 2018, 02:36:22 pm »
It's made its way here. I didn't think I'd ever see the day.

At least I get to tick another box off on my Cat3memes bingo card...

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #22185 on: 11 November, 2018, 06:39:18 pm »
A 30 mile ride out to sherlock row then back towards bracknell to Windsor passing legoland. Stayed dry today  :thumbsup:

« Reply #22186 on: 11 November, 2018, 07:03:09 pm »
83kms which was a bit longer than I had planned and with a bit of faff (including the dog eating my sarnies, fortunately I had bought enough bread for a second round) the start was a bit later as well. Nearly midday before I got under way (after 40 mins drive to start point). I finished just before hi-viz time. Gorgeous day, not to be wasted after the rain of yesterday!

The object of the exercise was achieved - doing a big chunk of route checking for next may. It being the year I do a ride and not being in form to do a 200 after the knee replacement next year we have the Randonnée du Brexit which will take place on Victory in Europe Day (8 may - for Teresa naturally). We are visiting the Pays Civraisien which has a reasonable Brit representation and hopefully a bar-resto run by an english couple in Charroux will come into play - if they don't mind being open for a public holiday!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22187 on: 11 November, 2018, 07:10:32 pm »
It's made its way here. I didn't think I'd ever see the day.

At least I get to tick another box off on my Cat3memes bingo card...

That's surprisingly comprehensive, if you make appropriate leftpondian substitutions.  (I suggest "videoed with smartphone" in place of "threatened with gun".)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #22188 on: 11 November, 2018, 08:44:04 pm »
93k loop with Mrs F and my BiL Phil.
A bit chilly when the sun went behind the clouds, but otherwise a Grand Day Out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1958803299

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22189 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:19:38 pm »
An after work ride because it's dry and warm.  We did about 30 miles and it was almost the fastest of the year  :o  Would have been quicker but had to go really slowly down steep hills because I had a 1st generation Hope Vision One, which is little better than moonlight.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #22190 on: 15 November, 2018, 05:25:47 pm »
Yesterday, of all things, a 44 mile group ride to a shopping centre containing a Decathlon. We had an inexpensive lunch in  a major chain pub restaurant but which had sticky table surfaces and bench seating with coverings that had worn away. My cutlery pack included two spoons which were stuck together with old debris from the second spoon. I don't see why they can't afford proper cleaning, the place was very busy. The staff were pleasant but I will not repeat the experience.

A lovely day for a ride through pleasant rolling countryside spoiled a bit by my B17s which is now decidedly uncomfortable due to flaring and I must find a solution to this soon or replace it.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #22191 on: 17 November, 2018, 12:56:08 pm »
Yes and it's been too long. Only 20k as window was while kids were out with the good lady wife. Lovely quiet lanes, a few shoots out and was accompanied by the mewing of buzzards three or four times. Roads covered in mud and leaves made me glad of decision to take tourer rather then the faster bike with skinny slicks...and only two idiot drivers but that's been posted in vroom so not gonna dwell. Do need to replace mudguards as cheap plastic ones and the rear is cable ties to the rack to stop rubbing.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #22192 on: 17 November, 2018, 03:48:03 pm »
50km loop to Eynsford for second breakfast. Just mild enough for short sleeves (but with gloves). I thought I was doing a reasonably good pace, got home to find it was my fastest ever ride :D
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #22193 on: 17 November, 2018, 04:07:44 pm »
~80km in a loop via Childrey, Kingston Lisle, Fernham, Hinton Waldrist, taking in the Thames at Duxford.

Duxford@ChimneyMeadows by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22194 on: 17 November, 2018, 04:59:19 pm »
CTC ride of 30 miles (40 from my house).  Two of us came back as a pair after the tea stop to make it back by sunset.  12.5mph out with a tailwind and 15mph back with a headwind.  It was a lot harder coming back!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #22195 on: 18 November, 2018, 07:33:10 pm »
77k to Windsor and back on my second run out with the local cycling club. I am not used to constant 30km/h pace on the flat!

« Reply #22196 on: 19 November, 2018, 07:37:51 am »
44 miles out to great kingsHill ,nap Hill West wicken , Fingest, Marlow  over
Winter Hill to coOakham  and back home via Burnham   :)

« Reply #22197 on: 19 November, 2018, 08:52:32 am »
44 miles out to great kingsHill ,nap Hill West wicken , Fingest, Marlow  over
Winter Hill to coOakham  and back home via Burnham   :)

Sounds lovely  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #22198 on: 19 November, 2018, 11:21:01 am »
A hilly 200km yesterday in the Lincolnshire Wolds, today paying the price by continually yawning at my desk  :facepalm:
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

« Reply #22199 on: 19 November, 2018, 01:38:42 pm »
Twenty miles back from the garage after dropping off the van for some repair work.  Cycle paths and back roads through Newcastle and Gateshead, then the relatively quiet lane from Follingsby to Sunderland.  It may not be a quiet road for much longer, they are building a massive industrial estate at the Follingsby end.  And a nice stretch of new and surprisingly good quality cycle path including crossing the new bridge across the River Wear.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.