Author Topic: Techno Hater Needs Help GPS  (Read 1449 times)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Techno Hater Needs Help GPS
« on: 21 June, 2012, 10:49:16 pm »
Hi

Ive bitten the bullet and purchased a cheap Garmin Edge 305 from a nice chap from C*cleCha*

The reason Im asking on here this forum is the sole purpose of it's use is audax and I know you lot are more on the techno geek side :).

My plastic route sheet holder won't be getting removed from my audax bike anytime soon, it could be I'll love the unit or it  could it gets  thrown against a wall and then into the wheelie bin in frustration. It was only cheap so no loss really to me if I decide paper will always be my choice of route finder.

So I need to start at the bottom. 'Yes this could be hard work' lol

Basically I can switch it on, charge it up and plug it into the computer, though plugging into the flaptop just goes to wizard  ???.

Also Ive downloaded the manual from Garmin and I think I need some kind of program for my flaptop / audax rides ?

So yes, Im useless. I'm guessing I need something the same as my Nikon D12 ?

Any help appreciated, start at the top though and don't get to technical lol

Thanks

John

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
Re: Techno Hater Needs Help GPS
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2012, 11:21:12 pm »
OK - starting from the top.

There *are* some nice chaps over on Cyclechav - pity that many of them spend all their time rehashing helmet threads.

Beyond that as an happy Garmin Etrex owner I've not got a clue about how Edge 305 works.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2012, 11:37:55 pm »
Yahuda

The edge 305 is basically a gps enabled cycle computer with a battery life in the 12 hour band. Though doubtless others will disagree, if you are after a cheap and easy to use gps for audax than my advice is to put the edge 305 on eBay and buy an etrex legend or vista hcx/cx.  Sad but true. Do it now and save yourself a lot of grief.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2012, 12:03:17 am »
Thanks Manotea

Yeah 12 hours is no good for me. Takes me longer than 12 hours to finish a  some 200km audaxers

Thanks

Goes looking at etrex legend or vista hcx/cx

John :)

« Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2012, 06:22:52 pm »
The edge 305 is basically a gps enabled cycle computer with a battery life in the 12 hour band. Though doubtless others will disagree, if you are after a cheap and easy to use gps for audax than my advice is to put the edge 305 on eBay and buy an etrex legend or vista hcx/cx.  Sad but true. Do it now and save yourself a lot of grief.

Yeah, what they said.  The Edge 305 is a great cycle computer IMHO but attempting to use it for navigation will leave you underwhelmed.  It can be done, and if you want to make the effort then get thee to http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/ but it's really not what the Edge 305 is about.