General Category > The Knowledge

Hand Made In Britain

<< < (14/18) > >>

clarion:
Tony Oliver was a regular contributor to bike mags in the 80s.  He talked an awful lot of sense.

Re: Bikes rebadged.  There was an odd period when the Hetchins frames were made by Bob Jackson.

I'm not sure of the relationship between Pennine & Whittaker & Mapplebeck, but I think they were both names used by the latter.

And I've remembered the sublimely bonkers Locks of Sandwich.  Not by any stretch of the imagination a volume builder, but guaranteed unique.

Ian H:

--- Quote from: clarion on 20 March, 2009, 10:39:14 am ---
Re: Bikes rebadged.  There was an odd period when the Hetchins frames were made by Bob Jackson.

--- End quote ---

Well, they made approximately curly frames and badged them as Hetchins. There was a dispute over who owned the name. I seem to recall there were three claimants and a threatened court case.

border-rider:

--- Quote from: Ian H on 20 March, 2009, 11:27:25 am ---

--- End quote ---

Well, they made approximately curly frames and badged them as Hetchins. There was a dispute over who owned the name. I seem to recall there were three claimants and a threatened court case.

--- End quote ---

There was a thread on this here or at the old place, and someone here knows more about it than I do.

Jake Riviera who was Elvis Costello's manager bought the rights to the Hetchins name.  He also (in the early 90s) bought Bob Jacksons and for a while Jacksons made Hetchins.  But the Jacksons business was run into the ground (it was pitiful going in the shop) and Bob bought it back but lost the rights to his own name - he operated as BJ cycles for a while.  After that, Jacksons made "Curly" frames with their own name on them.

hubner:

--- Quote from: Ian H on 20 March, 2009, 11:27:25 am ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

The dispute was between the new/current owner of the Hetchins brand name; David miller, and Mark Reilly/Mark Joynt/Omega, it had nothing to do with Bob Jackson.

From http://www.hetchins.org/history2.htm  :

--- Quote ---...after 1977 Alf (Hetchins) apparently subcontracted much of the production to JRJ (Bob Jackson Cycles) in Leeds...

...In 1985, Alf sold the business to a London businessman (who also bought JRJ Cycles)...

...So far as we know, all frame production ceased in Southend in the spring of 1986...

...David Miller (Bob Jackson employee) replaced the previous (Hetchins Southend shop) manager in 1989...

...In June 1990 the property in Southend was closed and sold; the remaining stocks were moved to Jackson Cycles in Leeds in order to manage the two operations without the overhead of two separate locations.

In 1993 David Miller left Jackson Cycles taking the Hetchins name with him. Since then David Miller has been responsible for (subcontracting) the construction of Hetchins frames. The current frame builder is Paul Riley of Preston. (Bob Jackson came out of retirement and bought back Jackson Cycles; since that time it has been run by Donald Thomas.)...
--- End quote ---

Bob Jackson built Hetchins are entirely legit.

Then apparently, in 2002 someone unconnected with Hetchins managed to register domain and company names with "Hetchins" somewhere in it:

http://catfood.phred.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=classicrendezvous.10211.1443.eml
http://catfood.phred.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=classicrendezvous.10211.1599.eml

Then there are the "fakes":
fake Hetchins

donpedro:

--- Quote from: vorsprung on 18 March, 2009, 03:43:53 pm ---
--- Quote from: clarion on 18 March, 2009, 03:30:30 pm ---
--- Quote from: LEE on 18 March, 2009, 03:24:45 pm ---Some of Thorn's frames.

--- End quote ---
I thought so, but wasn't sure.  Thing is - which?  I understand some were made by Lee Cooper at one point, but not sure now.

--- End quote ---

According to their blurb the Thorn Cyclosportif frame is UK made

My custom Ti frame was designed by a Brit, the company was registered in the US and the frame was actually made in China

Of your original list, Orbit are no longer in business and I'd be amazed if Dawes made their frames in this country

I would imagine some of the small MTB frame makers like Cotic make some of their stuff in this country

--- End quote ---

Is Lee Cooper's torch still lit?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version