Author Topic: eTrex Vista Hcx queries...  (Read 10294 times)

antnee

• retired and tired most of the time!
Re: eTrex Vista Hcx queries...
« Reply #75 on: 23 March, 2013, 10:54:06 am »
 :D
I though you all would chuffed to know that I eventually got it the OSM to load on the Garmin Vista HCx I know I was pleased with me self and it was a really stupid mistake that anyone can make I faithfully copy the advice I found on several websites and after unzipping saved the map as GMAPSUPP.IMG when in fact all one MUST DO is save it as GMAPSUPP as it is already an .img file and the file name is too long. All I would like now is to be able to overlay it with the NCR and local cycle route numbers!
 Anybody got any thoughts on this Please? ???
 Many thanks Antnee
Spelling and spells are  just not my forte!

antnee

« Reply #76 on: 23 March, 2013, 11:05:21 am »
I though you all would chuffed to know that I eventually got it the OSM to load on the Garmin Vista HCx I know I was pleased with me self and it was a really stupid mistake that anyone can make I faithfully copy the advice I found on several websites and after unzipping saved the map as GMAPSUPP.IMG when in fact all one MUST DO is save it as GMAPSUPP as it is already an .img file and the file name is too long. All I would like now is to be able to overlay it with the NCR and local cycle route numbers!
 Anybody got any thoughts on this Please? ???
 Many thanks Antnee

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #77 on: 23 March, 2013, 11:06:03 am »
...I found on several websites and after unzipping saved the map as GMAPSUPP.IMG when in fact all one MUST DO is save it as GMAPSUPP as it is already an .img file and the file name is too long.

Sounds like you got bitten by the stupid default behaviour of windows, which is to 'Hide the Extension of known file types'.

So if you have a file which is actually called 'gmapsupp.img', it will just display it as 'gmapsupp'.
If you then re-name the 'gmapsupp' to 'gmapsupp.img', what you've actually done is re-name it to 'gmapsupp.img.img', only windows is hiding this fact from you.

You really need to turn off this behaviour in Windows, and have it show you the full file name, extension and all.

On Win7:
Start -> Control Panel.
Change the 'View' drop-down on the top right to 'Small Icons'.
Folder Options -> View tab -> Un-check 'Hide extensions for known file types'.
'OK' your way out.

antnee

« Reply #78 on: 23 March, 2013, 11:26:47 am »
 Yes thanks feanor. As I have already mentioned on one other thread I had been struggling with this since last Sunday and done not much else I such really have known about the hiding of file types as the talky toaster man on his web site does warn against it!
 Still I surely know now! :thumbsup:
 reagards Antnee